TDBch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay so I'm moving into year 13 in September this year and I'm not sure what to do,

Basically I'm looking at Economics at Kings College London, and the past year I took Economics, Biology, Maths and Physics at AS. I made a proper mess of my Physics because I didn't really enjoy it and therefore didn't put any effort in, which meant that I completely ballsed the exam (and I know that the results can't be good because I left the majority of the questions unanswered), which means I'll probably not be getting a dcent AS level in it. Before exams I signed up to do an EPQ in Y13 on an Economics theme as Kings as said that an EPQ could substitute an AS Level, but I also have the option of taking an extra AS Level in Gov+Pol in Year 13. Personally I think this would suit me more as I've not really found a good topic that I want to write an EPQ on, but I don't really know how relevant the AS Level would be.

So in short in Year 13 would it be better for me to do an EPQ or take up the extra AS Level? Which one would mean more on my uni application???

Thanks xxxxxxxx
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TDBch)
Okay so I'm moving into year 13 in September this year and I'm not sure what to do,

Basically I'm looking at Economics at Kings College London, and the past year I took Economics, Biology, Maths and Physics at AS. I made a proper mess of my Physics because I didn't really enjoy it and therefore didn't put any effort in, which meant that I completely ballsed the exam (and I know that the results can't be good because I left the majority of the questions unanswered), which means I'll probably not be getting an AS level in it. Before exams I signed up to do an EPQ in Y13 on an Economics theme as Kings as said that an EPQ could substitute an AS Level, but I also have the option of taking an extra AS Level in Gov+Pol in Year 13. Personally I think this would suit me more as I've not really found a good topic that I want to write an EPQ on, but I don't really know how relevant the AS Level would be.

So in short in Year 13 would it be better for me to do an EPQ or take up the extra AS Level? Which one would mean more on my uni application???

Thanks xxxxxxxx
EPQs don't mean as much to universities as A level students think they do. An EPQ is mostly for personal development and to gain experience in university style work.

I personally did an extra AS as I could not be bothered with the work load of an EPQ.

You wouldn't be disadvantaged one way or the other.
TDBch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cubone-r)
EPQs don't mean as much to universities as A level students think they do. An EPQ is mostly for personal development and to gain experience in university style work.

I personally did an extra AS as I could not be bothered with the work load of an EPQ.

Thanks! How did you find the workload of the extra AS?
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TDBch)
Thanks! How did you find the workload of the extra AS?
More manageable than an EPQ that's for sure. It was fine, you end up focusing more on your A2 subjects, but that's natural.
histerical
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Not true, lots of unis dont care about an extra AS but will lower offers for a decent EPQ. For universities that use UCAS points the EPQ is worth more than an AS

Did EPQ in year 12 , got an A* - 4 out of 5 offers were lowered from AAB to ABB
Chichaldo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TDBch)

Basically I'm looking at Economics at Kings College London, and the past year I took Economics, Biology, Maths and Physics at AS. I made a proper mess of my Physics because I didn't really enjoy it and therefore didn't put any effort in, which meant that I completely ballsed the exam (and I know that the results can't be good because I left the majority of the questions unanswered), which means I'll probably not be getting an AS level in it. Before exams I signed up to do an EPQ in Y13 on an Economics theme as Kings as said that an EPQ could substitute an AS Level, but I also have the option of taking an extra AS Level in Gov+Pol in Year 13. Personally I think this would suit me more as I've not really found a good topic that I want to write an EPQ on, but I don't really know how relevant the AS Level would be.

Thanks xxxxxxxx
If they have said they will take the EPQ then it is certainly the easier option, you finish it up before exams and will have more time for your other subjects. However it is not so transferable, my unis didn't care about my EPQ (oops) so if perhaps you did not get the grades and had to go through clearing or your insurance and they do not fancy your EPQ then you might be in a pickle.
Certainly quite straightforward getting an A/A* in your EPQ though.
histerical
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TDBch)

Thanks xxxxxxxx
Why do either? do something non academic instead?
TDBch
Rep:
?
(Original post by histerical)
Why do either? do something non academic instead?
Like???
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by histerical)
Not true, lots of unis dont care about an extra AS but will lower offers for a decent EPQ. For universities that use UCAS points the EPQ is worth more than an AS

Did EPQ in year 12 , got an A* - 4 out of 5 offers were lowered from AAB to ABB
I never said an extra AS would be more beneficial than an EPQ. Either option is fine.

Doing an EPQ will no more likely increase your chances of receiving an offer than if you did an AS. That's the point.
TDBch
Rep:
?
I never said an extra AS would be more beneficial than an EPQ. Either option is fine.

Doing an EPQ will no more likely increase your chances of receiving an offer than if you did an AS. That's the point.
Would doing either an EPQ or an AS boost my chances? Or would leaving it and just doing 3A's be a better option,, lower workload etc??
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TDBch)
Would doing either an EPQ or an AS boost my chances? Or would leaving it and just doing 3A's be a better option,, lower workload etc??
You would have to check with your college first as some require you to take up a fourth option (either the EPQ or an AS).

I mean, it may show that you have the ability to take on more work and manage multiple topics at once (which is a key skill at university), however only 3 A levels are required to gain a place at a university.

As I said, check with your college and advisors first. I'd definitely do an AS or an EPQ though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
11.01%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (16)
7.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.23%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.05%

Watched Threads