Completed Degree Accounting and Finance - Job Hunting

Watch this thread
WasTedLeGenD
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So completed CV and cover letter like a month back. Applied through reed, indeed, guardian jobs, totaljobs and other recruitment agencies. Not much replies met with a former recruitment agent not much help.
Needs - Graduate Scheme central london prefered : - ive been told most of the top firms start them twice a year and ive just missed the application to the most recent one
Internship would be a back up option but frankly wouldnt mind
Any advice? Shall i pick up a part time job and do my Acca exams and wait till graduate schemes reopen ?
WasTedLeGenD
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
not a social media type - have a linkedin account dont use it much will try
WasTedLeGenD
Rep:
my experience is working at estate agents as a consultant and internet cafe really
do i need more or can i still get on to a decent graduate scheme
Bart12345
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
1) Get more work experience mate, particularly something relevant to the job you aim to do. The skills might be relevant in the two jobs you listed, but the job itself is not and you require full training.

2) You're applying for graduate jobs or entry level jobs. You're not applying for sub-25k jobs, part time jobs or temporary jobs. It's okay if no one has told you yet, but for the future you should know that unless it's the latter three, you shouldn't be using those kinds of recruitment sites. LinkedIn job search is fine, as well as getting a job from your networks, otherwise anything in accountancy is done through going directly to the firm, especially on their website careers section.

Get some contact details, call up asking for availability, register your interest by going to an insight event or internship. KPMG itself has subscriber function so you can register your email and get periodic job offers from KPMG offers around the country. Worth signing up for as they're not advertised anywhere else. Not sure if any other big 4 do this but probably yes.

3) Doing/starting some professional qualifications like ACCA / ICAEW and CFA is going to be really useful as you will stand out and most definitely be seen as someone interested in a long-term career. Take up a full time job to help you pay for this, or a temporary full time job to do some qualifications and get internships in-between jobs.

4) Don't worry if you can't get something straight away, sometimes it takes years to get on the ladder, but if you're determined you will definitely do it. Not too relevant, but I have done an internship at Lloyds Commercial Banking and spoke to many people, thankfully, and many have shared their stories. Yes, most came through the graduate scheme, but some even started on the lowest rungs like being a clerk at a branch before going through a series of promotions to move to the City, which one person did in a mere three-four years. Explore whether starting out lower would be feasible for you and whether the firm you would be going to has good career progression opportunities.

5) Explore the apprenticeship option. While it's quite late, many people still graduate then go down a level and get on an apprenticeship. In today's job market, sometimes that indeed may be the wise option.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WasTedLeGenD)
You can't 'complete CV and cover letter like a month back' and then just blanket use it to make serious applications. A CV and the covering letter need to be tailored to every application and company.

All you are doing when you apply through these large aggregation agencies is making jobs easier to find, but the chance of being selected massively smaller. Put the effort in and bookmark specific company recruitment pages and apply direct.
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bart12345)
1) Get more work experience mate, particularly something relevant to the job you aim to do. The skills might be relevant in the two jobs you listed, but the job itself is not and you require full training.

2) You're applying for graduate jobs or entry level jobs. You're not applying for sub-25k jobs, part time jobs or temporary jobs. It's okay if no one has told you yet, but for the future you should know that unless it's the latter three, you shouldn't be using those kinds of recruitment sites. LinkedIn job search is fine, as well as getting a job from your networks, otherwise anything in accountancy is done through going directly to the firm, especially on their website careers section.

Get some contact details, call up asking for availability, register your interest by going to an insight event or internship. KPMG itself has subscriber function so you can register your email and get periodic job offers from KPMG offers around the country. Worth signing up for as they're not advertised anywhere else. Not sure if any other big 4 do this but probably yes.

3) Doing/starting some professional qualifications like ACCA / ICAEW and CFA is going to be really useful as you will stand out and most definitely be seen as someone interested in a long-term career. Take up a full time job to help you pay for this, or a temporary full time job to do some qualifications and get internships in-between jobs.

4) Don't worry if you can't get something straight away, sometimes it takes years to get on the ladder, but if you're determined you will definitely do it. Not too relevant, but I have done an internship at Lloyds Commercial Banking and spoke to many people, thankfully, and many have shared their stories. Yes, most came through the graduate scheme, but some even started on the lowest rungs like being a clerk at a branch before going through a series of promotions to move to the City, which one person did in a mere three-four years. Explore whether starting out lower would be feasible for you and whether the firm you would be going to has good career progression opportunities.

5) Explore the apprenticeship option. While it's quite late, many people still graduate then go down a level and get on an apprenticeship. In today's job market, sometimes that indeed may be the wise option.
Trainee accountants usually earn 20k so it is sub 25k
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm assuming you've just graduated ? If so didn't most graduate schemes close before christmas?
Bart12345
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reece.W.J)
Trainee accountants usually earn 20k so it is sub 25k
Quite obviously in the context of my post I was referring to a position where the pay is above 25 000 GBP once fully qualified one way or another, in which case, accountancy is not below this.
username775001
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Best bet is speculative applications get a nice CV and cover letter in order and email it out to every single firm in a commutable distance. A good way to do it is search accountants on google maps. If like me maybe 100+ potential ones come up. I got 2 internships and a work placement doing this. I guarantee you'll get an interview if you get the numbers out 50+ in fact come back to me when you do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
42.29%
The paper was reasonable (225)
42.86%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.14%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.71%

Watched Threads