Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ill be taking a tv and my games console to uni but i ll only use the tv to play the games console
    do i still need a tv licence ??

ReputationRep:
    as long as you don't connect it to an aerial point to watch t.v. on then you won't need one.

ReputationRep:
    Detune all the channels as well.

ReputationRep:
    you need a license i'm afriad if you own equipment that is capable (Doesn't need to be in use) of recieving a tv signal. So bascially yes you need a license. Unless you play your console on a handheld TV that uses batteries as a power source.

Also in halls they really screw you over cos you need a license for every room. unlike in a house where its just one license per house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    you need a license i'm afriad if you own equipment that is capable (Doesn't need to be in use) of recieving a tv signal. So bascially yes you need a license. Unless you play your console on a handheld TV that uses batteries as a power source.

Also in halls they really screw you over cos you need a license for every room. unlike in a house where its just one license per house.
    The top part of this is not true.

You only need a licence if you are watching television. You DO NOT need one to use a games console or watch videos / D.V.D's.

Just make sure that the T.V. is not connected to an ariel and detune the channels just to make sure. THERE IS NO NEED TO MAKE ANY PHYSICAL MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR SET.

The T.V. licencing people are bully boys and one of their agents once told me that I needed a licence for my PS2. I promptly rang up their hotline who apologised and informed me that their man must have been mistaken.

Basically they will bully and intimidate you in every way possible but unless yu are watching T.V. you DO NOT need one.

ReputationRep:
    You do not require a TV Licence unless you are actually watching TV. Under the Broadcasting Act 1990 you need a television licence to "receive or record television programmes". You therefore do not require a licence to possess a TV. If you are only using your TV with a games console then you will not require a licence as long as it is not connected to an aerial and you detune the TV so that it shows only "noise" when switched on.

One final thing. It would be irresponsible for me not to warn you that if you are planning on using your TV to watch programmes then it is illegal to do so without a licence. It's not worth the risk when you consider that you can pay by direct debit monthly which works out at approximately £10 a month. If you are caught and prosecuted, you will receive a fine of up to £1000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanguiniusmmiv)
    You do not require a TV Licence unless you are actually watching TV. Under the Broadcasting Act 1990 you need a television licence to "receive or record television programmes". You therefore do not require a licence to possess a TV. If you are only using your TV with a games console then you will not require a licence as long as it is not connected to an aerial and you detune the TV so that it shows only "noise" when switched on.

One final thing. It would be irresponsible for me not to warn you that if you are planning on using your TV to watch programmes then it is illegal to do so without a licence. It's not worth the risk when you consider that you can pay by direct debit monthly which works out at approximately £10 a month. If you are caught and prosecuted, you will receive a fine of up to £1000.
    LOL I have existed for several years without a t.v. licence (but never in halls). There is not a great deal that they can do if you do not answer the door assuming that you live in a private residence.

If you do not answer the door or refuse to let them in they can get a warrant if they can prove that you are probably using a t.v. but this rarley happens.

Just a reminder to everyone that you are under no legal obligation to answer any questions or let the licenceing agency into your house. The one time that they knocked on my door I claimed that I was just visiting and gave a false name of the owner. They got all pushy asking to come in and check the set etc. but I simply refused and closed the door!

(Original post by sanguiniusmmiv)

And a tip for the more savvy amongst you. If you try and but a TV card for your computer from PC world etc they will ask you for your address (for warranty of course). They then send that to tv licencing so they can charge you for your computer tv card usage
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    And a tip for the more savvy amongst you. If you try and but a TV card for your computer from PC world etc they will ask you for your address (for warranty of course). They then send that to tv licencing so they can charge you for your computer tv card usage
    J
    Same applies when you by a t.v. Warranty is valid regardless of if you give them the correct address or not so just to confuse them give the address of the T.V.L.A. when you buy the t.v.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly are you going to prove that you don't watch TV on your tele? "Oh i'm sorry office the channels aren't tuned in", its not hard to detune them is it, or to throw out the aerial. Yes i know the burden of proof lays with them, but who the hell is going to believe a student has a tv and doesn't watch it? They will fine you, and you will pay.

I mean no you don't have to let them in and if you let them in they can't open locked containers. But is it seriously worth the hassle for 10 quid a month? Are you really that poor that you can't find 30p a day? Everyone else pays so why shouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, would you pay for car tax if you didn't use/have a car? Doubt it....why should you pay for something you aren't using on principal or otherwise?

The fact of the matter is that you're allowed (contridicting what you said) to use a TV as stated before aslong as you don't use it to receive/record broadcasts without a license. Just like you don't need to have road tax if you don't use/own a car.

Detuning isn't something you can do in 30 seconds and if you have the relevant PS2 etc. plugged in, there's no much they can do, they can't prosecute without sufficient evidence and as we live in the UK, they need to prove that you're guilty, not the other way around. If it is shown you have it detuned and disconnected, there's nothing they can do whatsoever!

Don't pay unless you have to.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly are you going to prove that you don't watch TV on your tele? "Oh i'm sorry office the channels aren't tuned in", its not hard to detune them is it, or to throw out the aerial. Yes i know the burden of proof lays with them, but who the hell is going to believe a student has a tv and doesn't watch it? They will fine you, and you will pay.

I mean no you don't have to let them in and if you let them in they can't open locked containers. But is it seriously worth the hassle for 10 quid a month? Are you really that poor that you can't find 30p a day? Everyone else pays so why shouldn't you?
    Vladek I think that you are trying to cover up for posting some misinformation earlier .

The bottom line is you do not require a t.v. licence to operate a games console, watch videos or watch d.v.d's. If you have an X-Box and loads of games near your t.v. I think that it is fairly apparant what it is used for. Unless the t.v. is hooked up to an aerial there is nothing that they can do.

I have no intention of watching T.V. in my room thus will not be purchasing a t.v. licence. I will however be taking my T.V. and playing Ps2, there is nothing wrong with this. I know of many other people who will be using or have used a t.v. for a similair purpose.

I have chosen to ignore the T.V.L.A. ever since they decided to lie to me by one of their inspectors informing me that I did need a licence to use a Ps2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Erm, would you pay for car tax if you didn't use/have a car? Doubt it....why should you pay for something you aren't using on principal or otherwise?

The fact of the matter is that you're allowed (contridicting what you said) to use a TV as stated before aslong as you don't use it to receive/record broadcasts without a license. Just like you don't need to have road tax if you don't use/own a car.

Detuning isn't something you can do in 30 seconds and if you have the relevant PS2 etc. plugged in, there's no much they can do, they can't prosecute without sufficient evidence and as we live in the UK, they need to prove that you're guilty, not the other way around. If it is shown you have it detuned and disconnected, there's nothing they can do whatsoever!

Don't pay unless you have to.
    I never said pay if you don't have to did i! Who's gonna believe a scummy student doesn't watch TV on his own TV? and yes you can detune a tv in 30 seconds easy.

Some of you people really need to stop thinking you're in school and join the real world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Vladek I think that you are trying to cover up for posting some misinformation earlier .
    yeah i admit i was wrong about saying that i looked on their website and it does say:

"If you use or install television receiving equipment to receive or record television programme services you are required by law to have a valid TV Licence."

But what you're doing is illegal, and face it no one will believe a scummy student!

ReputationRep:
    I never said pay if you don't have to did i! Who's gonna believe a scummy student doesn't watch TV on his own TV? and yes you can detune a tv in 30 seconds easy.

Some of you people really need to stop thinking you're in school and join the real world!
    Once again I will reiterate.

If you are not watching T.V. you do not need a T.V. licence. Many people will take their T.V's to uni in order to use a games console and will have no intention of watching T.V.

Which part of the above do you not understand as it appears to be yourself that is out of touch with the "real world" on this one!

Think of it this way - just because I have milk on my doorstep does not mean that I own a cow.

ReputationRep:

Ah you obviously have a quick detuning program, I could do maybe 2 channels in 30 seconds and have the new, detuned programs stored. You said pay like everybody else, despite the fact he doesn't need to, so yes, you did.

Yes, I need to stop thinking I am in school and join the real world, in which we're innocent until proven guilty and as stated above, this wouldn't be possible if all evidence pointed otherwise; regardless of the truth.

ReputationRep:
    But what you're doing is illegal, and face it no one will believe a scummy student!
    Please you will explain what part of using a T.V. to play a games console is illegal?

Face is Vladek you have jumped the gun on this one before finding out the facts and are now furiously back tracking in an attempt to come out of it on top.

The thing is none of us really care, we all make mistakes and get things wrong and no-one holds it against you so there is no need to try and argue futile points! .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Please you will explain what part of using a T.V. to play a games console is illegal?
    No part, just you've got no hope of convincing a court you didn't use it to watch TV.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i admit i was wrong about saying that i looked on their website and it does say:
    "If you use or install television receiving equipment to receive or record television programme services you are required by law to have a valid TV Licence."
    :eek: Hey, I dont know if uve had some bad experiences with the TVLA or not, but nothing they're doing is illegal!!

You cant just expect them to pay out of fear that they'll get hassle from the Licensing ppl, nor do i subscribe to your view that the Law doesnt help "scummy students!"

ReputationRep:
    No part, just you've got no hope of convincing a court you didn't use it to watch TV.
    What a load of rubbish. Thats like saying you are instantly guilty of speeding just because you own a car.

They have to PROVE that you are using a T.V. There is no burdon of proof on the defendant and subsequently you do not need to convince them of anything.

As a student of Law who has spent the last three weeks working in a legal practice and attending both crown and magistrates court I can say that there is NO PROSPECT of a conviction based on the evidence of someone using a games console alone. If the T.V. was also tuned into and could recieve pictures then yes but as a standalone device to project images from a games console it would never gather a conviction.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.