Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

tv licence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It sucks, i agree, but at least they're giving some leeway for the fact that we are only using it for nine months of the year.

My lease includes a tv licence next year I'm very happy

ReputationRep:
    I just have one question, I dont think I do need a licence but...I have a TV out port on my graphics card in my computer. Do I need a TV licence if I am not going to use it? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    I just have one question, I dont think I do need a licence but...I have a TV out port on my graphics card in my computer. Do I need a TV licence if I am not going to use it? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    no... tv-out doesnt let you watch tv... it is merely a way of connecting your pc to a tv... sort of using your tv as the monitor... in the future it will be useless anyway as more and more tvs are starting to use dvi and dsub/vga inputs... well even today the "good" tvs use dvi/vga inputs

ReputationRep:
    No, definitely not. TV out port simply allows you to plug your laptop into a TV to display the images. Aslong as you don't have a TV tuner to use then 100% no.

It is useful to use a TV-out to watch DVDs on a TV, so if you did take a TV for that reason, you also wouldn't need a TV license aslong as you detuned your TV and didn't have it connected to an aeriel.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    If you're not going to use it, could you just take it out or disable it or something? I don't know how they work so I don't know if that's possible, but it would seem safest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    If you're not going to use it, could you just take it out or disable it or something? I don't know how they work so I don't know if that's possible, but it would seem safest.
    No need to, erm it's hard to explain to somebody who doesn't know what one is. Anyway, it hasn't any ability to receive broadcasts, just provide them to a TV. It's like owning a DVD player, you don't need a TV license for a DVD player, only when you get and use a TV.

ReputationRep:
    pghstochaj you've done a good job convincing me that I won't need to get a TV licence, so i'm not going to - thanks for saving me £120

Just as a matter of interest I've emailed the TV licensing agency and asked them whether or not I would need a license just to play my console on...they haven't replied yet but i'll let everyone know what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majinbuu)
    pghstochaj you've done a good job convincing me that I won't need to get a TV licence, so i'm not going to - thanks for saving me £120

Just as a matter of interest I've emailed the TV licensing agency and asked them whether or not I would need a license just to play my console on...they haven't replied yet but i'll let everyone know what they say.
    I'll forward you by paypal account jk

I am not one to rip off the system, just follow the rules, the rules say you don't need to pay. I just read the leaflet they sent out to students in the UCAS letter, what utter B****Ds! If I just read that, I would think you need a TV license for practically anything, the wording is contray to what it says on their website and what the law says. Hopefully you will get suitable proof from the TVLA (keep the email!) and if not, you need to get a second opinion.

NB: I emailed them about using a USB TV tuner and my laptop on batteries 2 months ago, funnily enough they didn't reply!

ReputationRep:
    just an interesting addition to this. although you DO NOT need a tv license for a portable tv "powered by its own internal batteries" they will still chase you for not having a license. that is what they said when i rang them & that i would have to ring them & tell them - but i couldnt tell them then, because i did not know my exact room number i am going to have & will have to ring them when i get to uni. so even if you dont need a license, dont throw away the phone number.

ReputationRep:
    What all you people should do is just buy a cheap PC Monitor - no TV tuner so can't recieve TV but will still enable you to use you console, DVD player or whatever - and give you a better picture into the bargain - PLUS no chance of being fined as its not capable of recieving TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)

NB: I emailed them about using a USB TV tuner and my laptop on batteries 2 months ago, funnily enough they didn't reply!
    Chase it up. They are required by a nice piece of government policy called the citizens charter to reply to you with at least a holding reply in 21 days. This applies to Email and written communications. I should know I work in the Highways Agency in the correspondence side. All government agencies privatised or not have to follow the citizens charter.

ReputationRep:
    Well thank you for your advice. Looks like I will not be getting a TV License then as my graphics card has no tuner in! Yay!

ReputationRep:
    Got my reply back from the TV licensing people- looks like you most of you were right, you don't need a TV license if you just want to play a games console

"Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Televisions and video recorders, whether used separately or together, must be licensed if they are used to receive television programmes. If you use either the television or video recorder to receive programmes in colour, you will need a colour television licence. Televisions which are used with a home computer or video game machine must be licensed if they are ever used to receive television programmes, otherwise no licence is required.

If your television equipment is used to receive or record television programmes, you should buy a licence at once. However, if your equipment is not used to receive or record television programmes, please let me know your address. I will then make sure our records are changed to show you do not need a television licence. However, I should advise you to make sure that the television and video are not tuned to receive television broadcasts, it is also advisable to ensure the equipment is not connected to any aerials. One of our Visiting Officers may visit your home to check that the equipment being used does not receive broadcast signals.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Liz James
    Customer Services"

ReputationRep:
    I love the way that they "add" that they may visit your home to check that the set is not connected.

If they knock on your door tell them to fcuk off.

I also love the way that they tell you your address is "protected" for six months once you have told them you do not watch t.v.

"Protected" from the constant harrasmant of being asked to buy a product that you don't need!!

If any other company spammed like the T.V.L.A. in such an intimidating manner they would get a *******ing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I love the way that they "add" that they may visit your home to check that the set is not connected.

If they knock on your door tell them to fcuk off.

I also love the way that they tell you your address is "protected" for six months once you have told them you do not watch t.v.

"Protected" from the constant harrasmant of being asked to buy a product that you don't need!!

If any other company spammed like the T.V.L.A. in such an intimidating manner they would get a *******ing.
    Yeah I know, i'll be damned if i'm giving them my address. Still, at least I have some sort of proof that I don't need a license

ReputationRep:
    If your taking a desktop computer get a VGA box for your console, it will save space and your games will look better. You probably won't play it anyway; a lot of people fill their rooms with electronics at the beginning of the year and don't use half of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    just an interesting addition to this. although you DO NOT need a tv license for a portable tv "powered by its own internal batteries" they will still chase you for not having a license. that is what they said when i rang them & that i would have to ring them & tell them - but i couldnt tell them then, because i did not know my exact room number i am going to have & will have to ring them when i get to uni. so even if you dont need a license, dont throw away the phone number.
    Why bother telling them anything - let them do all the hard work!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.