The Student Room Group

Computer Science & Placement - What's your thoughts?

Hi,

So basically I study computer science have finished second year and realised I don't enjoy programming apart from databases and networking related languages.

I have achieved 2.1 in both first and second year although it was hard.

I have obtained a placement in the networking field (it's a good placement) because I've grown to love this field and it's where my passion is.

My question is, post-graduating when it comes to applying for networking jobs would it be frowned upon that I have CS degree rather than Networking degree as they're usually CCNA certified etc?

Or does it not matter as I will have experience?
Reply 1
Edit: I'll be trying to become certified as an CCNA over the course of the year 😁
Experience trumps qualifications but a CS degree still puts you in a great position! Get your CCNA certification and you'll be all good.
Reply 3
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Experience trumps qualifications but a CS degree still puts you in a great position! Get your CCNA certification and you'll be all good.

Sounds good. I'm going to make the most out of this year. Can't wait 😆
Original post by Tish
Sounds good. I'm going to make the most out of this year. Can't wait 😆

Have fun! I almost went the way of networking so investigated it at the time. Start showing enthusiasm and get your certifications where you can and you'll be fine.
Original post by Tish
Hi,

So basically I study computer science have finished second year and realised I don't enjoy programming apart from databases and networking related languages.

I have achieved 2.1 in both first and second year although it was hard.

I have obtained a placement in the networking field (it's a good placement) because I've grown to love this field and it's where my passion is.

My question is, post-graduating when it comes to applying for networking jobs would it be frowned upon that I have CS degree rather than Networking degree as they're usually CCNA certified etc?

Or does it not matter as I will have experience?

No.

CS is like the umbrella degree and networking is like a sub-branch. Literally nothing to worry about on that front.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You'll be fine, I had a networking jobs for placement and I did CS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending