The Student Room Group

Maths result UMS

Hi,
I just got my maths UMS back and they weren't what I expected, I've been told that for Oxbridge you realistically need 95+ UMS. I did an extra module (FP1) and an EPQ (A*). My UMS were C1-87 C2-95 S1-84 FP1-100 over all my modules I only average 91.5 but without FP1 I average 89, is Oxbridge an option still for me? I want to study physical natural sciences, I just wanted to know if its realistic or if I should maybe just go for a London uni and forget about Cambridge ( i do chemistry and physics and am predicted A*'s in each)..
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes it's still open to you. Obviously it wont give you any advantages over someone with a much higher average but 95 in c2 and 100 in fp1 shows you are capable of achieving high grades in maths. Are you doing further maths a-level? I would strongly recommend it as the strongest physical natscis have maths, fm, physics, chemistry as a-levels. If you do well in the natural sciences admissions exam and perform well in interview you'll most likely get an offer.
Reply 2
You still stand a chance, don't give up! There's admissions tests to do too, ace them and you'll be much better off
Reply 3
Original post by black1blade
Yes it's still open to you. Obviously it wont give you any advantages over someone with a much higher average but 95 in c2 and 100 in fp1 shows you are capable of achieving high grades in maths. Are you doing further maths a-level? I would strongly recommend it as the strongest physical natscis have maths, fm, physics, chemistry as a-levels. If you do well in the natural sciences admissions exam and perform well in interview you'll most likely get an offer.

thank you, and yeah I think I am going to do further maths (got 8 modules to do next year) as ie spend most of the summer learning M1 and M2 so I only have C3, C4, FP2, FP3, S1 and D1 left for next year. I didn't get to do a full AS F maths but I did do an EPQ. Thank you for the advice
Reply 4
Original post by AfcFob
You still stand a chance, don't give up! There's admissions tests to do too, ace them and you'll be much better off

thank you!
Original post by bruh2132
thank you, and yeah I think I am going to do further maths (got 8 modules to do next year) as ie spend most of the summer learning M1 and M2 so I only have C3, C4, FP2, FP3, S1 and D1 left for next year. I didn't get to do a full AS F maths but I did do an EPQ. Thank you for the advice

Yeah good luck, I'm also applying to the same course and for my a-level maths, gonna have in the realms of 92-95 ums avg prob (gonna go in to get unit marks in an hour).
Reply 6
Yeah good luck, I'm also applying to the same course and for my a-level maths, gonna have in the realms of 92-95 ums avg prob (gonna go in to get unit marks in an hour).

Good luck! I'm sure ull do great
Good luck! I'm sure ull do great

You too man. I mean for as which I did last year, I got an 82 in core 1, 100 in c2, 91 in s1 so about as good as you in terms of average of all maths modules. I did work very hard this year to get the A* in maths this year though.
Reply 8
You too man. I mean for as which I did last year, I got an 82 in core 1, 100 in c2, 91 in s1 so about as good as you in terms of average of all maths modules. I did work very hard this year to get the A* in maths this year though.

that's really good especially in S1(terrible module I hate it) and C2, sorry to ask another question but do u think its worth me asking for an A* prediction in maths, I have one in chemistry and physics(not gonna happen in physics tbh) but my teacher only predicted me an A in maths, idk if it will put too much pressure because sure Imperial offer 3A*s for some courses and I don't want that, what do u think?
that's really good especially in S1(terrible module I hate it) and C2, sorry to ask another question but do u think its worth me asking for an A* prediction in maths, I have one in chemistry and physics(not gonna happen in physics tbh) but my teacher only predicted me an A in maths, idk if it will put too much pressure because sure Imperial offer 3A*s for some courses and I don't want that, what do u think?

An A* maths prediction would be helpful yes. Just say you got above 90 average in your modules so far and your c1 and 2 almost equaled 180.
Reply 10
An A* maths prediction would be helpful yes. Just say you got above 90 average in your modules so far and your c1 and 2 almost equaled 180.

ill ask thanks!
Reply 11
Hi so I have recieved my overall maths grade, getting C1-93,C2-98,S1-91,C3-89,C4-90,S2-81.My question is if I was to get C3 remarked and get 90ums would my overall grade become an A*?
Original post by kyle1
Hi so I have recieved my overall maths grade, getting C1-93,C2-98,S1-91,C3-89,C4-90,S2-81.My question is if I was to get C3 remarked and get 90ums would my overall grade become an A*?

Thats amazing!!!!
Yes as u would have a 90.5ums average across all 6 modules (you need 80) and bang on 90ums average across C3 and C4.

I would remark it if i were you your grade is far more likely to go up to the A* than down :smile:

also (not sure if this is possible but check with your teacher) your teacher should be able to see your C3/C4 script on ResultsPlus so if they genuinely think you could get another mark in either module go for it (an extra mark in either would get you an A*)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest