The Student Room Group

Should I take the Foundation year?

So I didn't get into either of my uni's but my insurance (Leicester) has offered me a computer science course with a foundation year (G499) is that worth taking? Seems like taking the extra year at uni would be fine and I would be able to continue as normal next year just being slightly older than most and an extra year in debt. So should I accept this offer?
Reply 1
Original post by Bensosteric
So I didn't get into either of my uni's but my insurance (Leicester) has offered me a computer science course with a foundation year (G499) is that worth taking? Seems like taking the extra year at uni would be fine and I would be able to continue as normal next year just being slightly older than most and an extra year in debt. So should I accept this offer?

I did a foundation year in psychology and it was honestly the best thing I ever did! I was so much more ready for the first year of uni after doing it :smile:
If you think it's for you then definitely go for it! An extra year of debt should not influence anything and being slightly older will change nothing - nobody even knew I was older when I started at 24!

It'll also give you a year to settle in, get some extra subject knowledge (uni programming is always fun!) and give you the opportunity to develop relationships with lecturers that could really influence your time at uni.

If it's what you want, go for it!
Reply 3
Original post by ParadoxSocks
If you think it's for you then definitely go for it! An extra year of debt should not influence anything and being slightly older will change nothing - nobody even knew I was older when I started at 24!

It'll also give you a year to settle in, get some extra subject knowledge (uni programming is always fun!) and give you the opportunity to develop relationships with lecturers that could really influence your time at uni.

If it's what you want, go for it!

So it seems like there really aren't many downsides. Any friends I make on a 3 year course will leave before me but that doesnt seem too bad.
Reply 4
Original post by Bensosteric
So it seems like there really aren't many downsides. Any friends I make on a 3 year course will leave before me but that doesnt seem too bad.

You'll make friends on your foundation year and with the added bonus of having people to sit with on the first day of your first year instead of having to awkwardly find a seat in a room of no-one you know :tongue:

Honestly, more people should consider foundation degree's. They're a brilliant thing.
100% doing a foundation course if you want to do it!

I have friends who did a Foundation Course (who now do Computer Science) who have no regrets about it.
Reply 6
Original post by Deyesy
I did a foundation year in psychology and it was honestly the best thing I ever did! I was so much more ready for the first year of uni after doing it :smile:

Okay that gives me confidence!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending