The Student Room Group

My Firm Choice Disappeared!?

I didn't meet the grades for my two choice at Portsmouth, my firm was Forensic Computing (the grades were a little easier on this one), and my insurance was Computer Science.

UCAS has alerted me that they declined my application for Computer Science, this shows accordingly on the website, but there isn't ANYTHING about Forensic Computing on there, it's just disappeared?

What my current UCAS screen looks like, appears they offered me an alternative course (never applied for that):

And if you look at my updates, TWO things are very odd, the first one is that I never added Engineering & Technology, it was an alternative course they added! The second odd thing is, you can clearly see I applied for Forensic Computing, but there's no information on it!?

Original post by VaniIIa
I didn't meet the grades for my two choice at Portsmouth, my firm was Forensic Computing (the grades were a little easier on this one), and my insurance was Computer Science.

UCAS has alerted me that they declined my application for Computer Science, this shows accordingly on the website, but there isn't ANYTHING about Forensic Computing on there, it's just disappeared?

What my current UCAS screen looks like, appears they offered me an alternative course (never applied for that):

And if you look at my updates, TWO things are very odd, the first one is that I never added Engineering & Technology, it was an alternative course they added! The second odd thing is, you can clearly see I applied for Forensic Computing, but there's no information on it!?

Yes they appear to have offered you engineering and technology with a foundation year, you can choose to take that offer or reject it and go to your insurance.
I have seen other people on here with unconditional changed course offers. It seems to happen, when you miss your offer and the university still has places on a different course.
Original post by VaniIIa

The university has reviewed your application and do not feel that you are ready for a degree programme, so have referred you to the appropriate foundation year.

You can either accept or decline this offer.

If you choose to decline, you will be released into clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by Charlotte's Web
The university has reviewed your application and do not feel that you are ready for a degree programme, so have referred you to the appropriate foundation year.

You can either accept or decline this offer.

If you choose to decline, you will be released into clearing.

Ah okay, that's honestly what I was expecting, it's a shame the alternative course they offered me sucks. :frown:

I just thought it'd still show my firm, like it did my insurance, there isn't any actual words of them saying "declined".
Original post by VaniIIa
snip

It means you missed your grades, and instead of rejecting you completely, they're offering you an alternative course (a foundation year). You can either accept it, or ask to be released and go into Clearing.

It is worth contacting the university and asking for more information about the course, you may be able to transfer into the Forensic Computing degree after you've completed the foundation year.
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
It means you missed your grades, and instead of rejecting you completely, they're offering you an alternative course (a foundation year). You can either accept it, or ask to be released and go into Clearing.

It is worth contacting the university and asking for more information about the course, you may be able to transfer into the Forensic Computing degree after you've completed the foundation year.

Looks like I have some thinking to do, if that's an option I would definitely consider it!

A BIG QUESTION TO YOU ALL, throughout my application I was always going to go to Portsmouth as it's local so I needn't move away, is it too late for me to completely say "f*ck it*, try and find a clearing course for a uni where I'd need to move away? I only ask because of accommodation and such.
Original post by VaniIIa
Ah okay, that's honestly what I was expecting, it's a shame the alternative course they offered me sucks. :frown:

I just thought it'd still show my firm, like it did my insurance, there isn't any actual words of them saying "declined".

If you want to clarify, you could always contact the university directly.
Original post by VaniIIa
Looks like I have some thinking to do, if that's an option I would definitely consider it!

A BIG QUESTION TO YOU ALL, throughout my application I was always going to go to Portsmouth as it's local so I needn't move away, is it too late for me to completely say "f*ck it*, try and find a clearing course for a uni where I'd need to move away? I only ask because of accommodation and such.

It certainly isn't too late.

After you decline your offer, you will be released into clearing and will receive a clearing ID number. You need this before you contact any universities.

Lots of universities in clearing will be able to offer help with accommodation, and this is something you can discuss with them when negotiating a clearing place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending