The Student Room Group

Bad AS Levels Canadian Universities

My AS Level results were:

History - C
English Lang & Lit - D
Sociology - E

First off, I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to continue these subjects into A2 with the results I've got. Also, I had planned to apply for University of Toronto and Mcgill under a conditional offer, however I can't find any specifics of applying with that on their sites. I'm completely stumped and don't know what to do with these disappointing results (I am getting two remarked, and my Sociology result is only a grade without the total of marks). Help?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by no bueno
My AS Level results were:h:istory - CEnglish Lang

Sorry so what is your question? What are you applying for, where and what are the entry requirements?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Sorry so what is your question? What are you applying for, where and what are the entry requirements?

Sorry about that, I don't know why the question didn't show up. It's edited now. The entry requirements for University of Toronto is "A's and B's" for both GCSE and A Levels. For Mcgill University the predicted levels should be "A, A, A" and final grades should be "A, A, B".
My AS Level results were:

History - C
English Lang & Lit - D
Sociology - E

First off, I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to continue these subjects into A2 with the results I've got. Also, I had planned to apply for University of Toronto and Mcgill under a conditional offer, however I can't find any specifics of applying with that on their sites. I'm completely stumped and don't know what to do with these disappointing results (I am getting two remarked, and my Sociology result is only a grade without the total of marks). Help?

Its important you are allowed to continue or given an alternative such as BTEC that You know Toronto will accept.

The exams are now linear, so simply wait till you get the results at A2 and apply the following year.

Its not clear whether you have the offer already.?
Sorry about that, I don't know why the question didn't show up. It's edited now. The entry requirements for University of Toronto is "A's and B's" for both GCSE and A Levels. For Mcgill University the predicted levels should be "A, A, A" and final grades should be "A, A, B".

Ok what were you predicted for your As's? What have you teachers said about the grades you've got in terms of getting some of it remarked? Finally you may want to contact the uni and explain the situation coz your subjects are now linear so the As grades don't count towards your final grade. You will need to work really hard though.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Its important you are allowed to continue or given an alternative such as BTEC that You know Toronto will accept.

The exams are now linear, so simply wait till you get the results at A2 and apply the following year.

Its not clear whether you have the offer already.?

Do you mean given an alternative for one of the subjects (Sociology)? And no, I haven't received the offer.
Do you mean given an alternative for one of the subjects (Sociology)? And no, I haven't received the offer.

So the dilemma becomes that given poor AS results will you even get an offer from Toronto?

Depending how competitive (Im assuming they are) then poor AS results are likely to be a factor in whether they give you an offer and its going to be a lot less likely to almost certainly no. Talk to them, but in the event they take AS into consideration, then it would be smarter to just get the A2 grades you need and apply the following year. Tour focus now should be on your exams and tour results this time next year. You can decide what happens after.
Reply 7
Original post by alleycat393
Ok what were you predicted for your As's? What have you teachers said about the grades you've got in terms of getting some of it remarked? Finally you may want to contact the uni and explain the situation coz your subjects are now linear so the As grades don't count towards your final grade. You will need to work really hard though.

Haven't been given predicted grades yet, and haven't had a chance to talk it through with my teachers today. And thank you, I'll try to do that.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
So the dilemma becomes that given poor AS results will you even get an offer from Toronto?

Depending how competitive (Im assuming they are) then poor AS results are likely to be a factor in whether they give you an offer and its going to be a lot less likely to almost certainly no. Talk to them, but in the event they take AS into consideration, then it would be smarter to just get the A2 grades you need and apply the following year. Tour focus now should be on your exams and tour results this time next year. You can decide what happens after.

So you mean take a gap year, right? I'll definitely consider this as an option, thank you.
Agreed with 999tigger, honestly it's unlikely UoT and McGill will accept you with those grades unless your predicteds are good or if you have extenuating circumstances (but they might not believe that as well because of relatively poor AS results). It would be more prudent to apply with grades in hand after a gap year if you really do want to go to a Canadian university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you mean take a gap year, right? I'll definitely consider this as an option, thank you.

Yes. If Toronto is your aim/ Use the gap to strengthen you application by getting experience .

Its likely that Toronto dont thin about linear exams and just judge you on grades they see on the app form. If thats the case you arent going anywhere so apply with a better app the following year.

One of the tricks you can use is to draw up a table with what they look for, then what you have now and what you need to have in 2018. Use that to set yourself a target of being the strongest applicant you can be when you apply.
Reply 11
Thank you guys for the replies. I'll discuss with my teachers about remarking, and if the results are positive I'll try to apply this year, and if not, I'll take the gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest