Extended Essay - World Studies Watch

cxjimin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello!

I'm currently doing a world studies EE, within the subjects of biology and geography. I have chosen the topic to be on shark finning. My research question is "How detrimental is the decline in sharks due to finning affecting the global economy and the ocean’s ecosystem?" Unfortunately, my teacher just had a baby, so she is not able to attend school often and I have not been able to get much help.

I have started researching into the biological impacts as a result of shark finning and the cultural influence that is driving the shark finning industry (shark fin soup and for medicine). However, I have not really touched on the geography aspect of the topic as I am confused on what to do. What can I research that will include something geography related? Additionally, are there any ways I can collect primary data on this topic? And how can I incorporate it into my essay?

The essay draft is due on September 18, but I work very slow and procrastinate loads, so I need

Furthermore, I was wondering if I needed to include an abstract for my EE. Is it the same as writing an introduction?

Thank you!
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cxjimin)
Hello!

I'm currently doing a world studies EE, within the subjects of biology and geography. I have chosen the topic to be on shark finning. My research question is "How detrimental is the decline in sharks due to finning affecting the global economy and the ocean’s ecosystem?" Unfortunately, my teacher just had a baby, so she is not able to attend school often and I have not been able to get much help.

I have started researching into the biological impacts as a result of shark finning and the cultural influence that is driving the shark finning industry (shark fin soup and for medicine). However, I have not really touched on the geography aspect of the topic as I am confused on what to do. What can I research that will include something geography related? Additionally, are there any ways I can collect primary data on this topic? And how can I incorporate it into my essay?

The essay draft is due on September 18, but I work very slow and procrastinate loads, so I need

Furthermore, I was wondering if I needed to include an abstract for my EE. Is it the same as writing an introduction?

Thank you!
This sounds like an amazing project, though shark finning really upsets me

I'm afraid I know nothing about EE, but just wanted to say hello anyway :wavey:
cxjimin
Rep:
?
(Original post by She-Ra)
This sounds like an amazing project, though shark finning really upsets me

I'm afraid I know nothing about EE, but just wanted to say hello anyway :wavey:
Hello! Thank you haha, no worries.
kxrrii
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dude, im lowkey doing the same EE and I'm stuck but my question is : to what extent does consuming shark meat and fins put both the human and shark populations as well as the marine ecosystem at risk.
cxjimin
Rep:
?
(Original post by kxrrii)
Dude, im lowkey doing the same EE and I'm stuck but my question is : to what extent does consuming shark meat and fins put both the human and shark populations as well as the marine ecosystem at risk.
I just submitted my EE 3 weeks ago yikes, and I put some stuff in my essay that relates to your question. Here are some ideas:

- Looking at biomagnification/bioaccumulation:
- As sharks are apex predators, they are placed at the top of the food chain, where they consume large amounts of toxins that have accumulated in their prey.
- An example would be a neurotoxin produced by cyanobacteria, the neurotoxin is called beta-Methylamino-L-alanine or BMAA, which can cause neurodegenerative disorders and is present in shark fins.

- What is shark fin made of:
- Mainly cartilage and collagen, which has no nutritional value
- Main purpose in shark fin soup is for the texture

- What other chemicals are present in shark fin:
- High in mercury, which can cause permanent nerve and brain damage
- The Science of the Total Environment conducted a study in 2014, where methylmercury, the major source of organic mercury for humans was measured in 50 dried shark fins from 13 different species found in international trade and 50 samples of shark fin soup originating from restaurants across the United State

So I guess you could focus a lot on the health affects on humans from shark fin consumption if you find different examples of toxins/chemicals and their effects.

And then for shark populations and marine ecosystem affects, you can look into how the decrease in population or extinction of an apex predator can affect the ecosystem and the food web and marine biodiversity (eg overpopulation of some shark prey and how that affects organisms below them in the food web)

Also that a decline in shark population could cause some shark species to be extinct soon as sharks mature slowly in comparison to other fish species, can only give birth to 2 to 135 young at a time, have pregnancies lasting from 9-12 months and that they may not reproduce every year due to a resting phase.

Good luck with your EE! I hope you still have plenty of time til yours is due because I did mine last minute and regretted it so much lmao, so as tiring as it is to write your EE do not leave it to the last minute. AND DON'T FORGET TO KEEP REFERRING BACK TO THE MARKSCHEME/ASSESMENT CRITERIA AND CHECK THAT YOU ADDRESS THOSE POINTS OTHERWISE YOUR HARD WORK WILL GO TO WASTE (you can find the markscheme on the IBO website)

Good luck <3
kxrrii
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I just read this, a year after submitting my EE and I WROTE ALL OF THAT BEFORE EVEN READING THIS! Ahahah you read my mind, great minds think alike
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (113)
58.85%
No (79)
41.15%

Watched Threads