The Student Room Group

How to stop overthinking? :(

Overthinking is my biggest flaw and weakness and I need ways to not overthink. I overthink everything and it's annoying a lot of people :frown:

I dont know how to distract myself since I get so depressed and dont feel like doing anything, not doing hobbies or sports or reading or anything. Friends are busy most of the time so I barely see them.

I just cried 20 minutes ago because I feel so down and upset with this.

I dont know what to do :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Overthinking is my biggest flaw and weakness and I need ways to not overthink. I overthink everything and it's annoying a lot of people :frown:

I dont know how to distract myself since I get so depressed and dont feel like doing anything, not doing hobbies or sports or reading or anything. Friends are busy most of the time so I barely see them.

What kinds of things do you overthink about? :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
What kinds of things do you overthink about? :hugs:

like whenever a family member travels, I think what if something happens to them and the plane crashes and they die ... or what if my boyfriend wakes up one day and decides he doesn't love me anymore, what if I'm being too clingy or annoying and he'll get fed up from that :frown:

The first thing to do is seek help if you need it. You seem to have recognised that there is a problem so the next step is doing something about it. Is there someone you can talk to about this who can help? The depression is the first thing to deal with and the rest will follow. Once you start going out and doing other things you will have things to distract you from overthinking. But baby steps :smile:
like whenever a family member travels, I think what if something happens to them and the plane crashes and they die ... or what if my boyfriend wakes up one day and decides he doesn't love me anymore, what if I'm being too clingy or annoying and he'll get fed up from that :frown:

Have you considered going to the GP about this at all? They might be able to refer you to some support for anxiety/anxious thoughts.
Reply 5
I agree speak to your GP, as life is tough but depression and anxiety is also chemical, so people telling you to not do it or be positive, which just doesn't help and makes you fell worse.

I think learning your own coping methods is important, and accepting you can't control the world, which is the hardest thing. Also speaking to someone who will listen without trying to fix or advise you really helps.

But do something, as doing something will make you feel more in control.
Reply 6
Original post by marcusgb
I agree speak to your GP, as life is tough but depression and anxiety is also chemical, so people telling you to not do it or be positive, which just doesn't help and makes you fell worse.

I think learning your own coping methods is important, and accepting you can't control the world, which is the hardest thing. Also speaking to someone who will listen without trying to fix or advise you really helps.

But do something, as doing something will make you feel more in control.

Original post by alleycat393
The first thing to do is seek help if you need it. You seem to have recognised that there is a problem so the next step is doing something about it. Is there someone you can talk to about this who can help? The depression is the first thing to deal with and the rest will follow. Once you start going out and doing other things you will have things to distract you from overthinking. But baby steps :smile:

Original post by shadowdweller
Have you considered going to the GP about this at all? They might be able to refer you to some support for anxiety/anxious thoughts.

Thank you guys. It never occurred to me that I need to go see a GP. I feel like this mostly whenever my family/boyfriend travel and I'm not around them :frown:
Reply 7
This can’t be solved however having a chat with that person and trying to keep ur mind off it with exercise or a hobby or hanging out with friends will help ! Listening to meditation when going to sleep helped me I used to be an overthinking phycho but i know allow him to do what he wants when he wants without over thinking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending