Woman publicly criticised for wearing burqa in Australian parliament. Watch

QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Despite objecting to the essential purpose and nature of the burqa, I would defend any woman's right to wear it through choice.

This kind of religious intolerance has no place in a modern, liberal democracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/17/woman-criticised-for-wearing-burqa-in-parliament
Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think most women wear a burqa out of choice though...
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by QE2)
Despite objecting to the essential purpose and nature of the burqa, I would defend any woman's right to wear it through choice.

This kind of religious intolerance has no place in a modern, liberal democracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/17/woman-criticised-for-wearing-burqa-in-parliament
My question would be whether the essential nature of modern liberal democracy is a successful, sustainable or desirable one.

We are no longer in the same place as the modern liberal democracy of the last 100 years or so. We're getting to the point of liberal values eating themselves and turning toward being oppressive. Is this narrative of "you have the freedom to behave in an illiberal manner, because that is a measure of our liberalism" a coherent or even intelligent one, or will we in 100 years time look back on this short period with regret and amusement? Will this period be viewed much like the period of pre-war appeasement?
applesforme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dodgypirate)
I don't think most women wear a burqa out of choice though...
We all do a lot of things that aren't out of choice though but that we would feel really uncomfortable not doing e.g. wearing a bra, wearing a top (or clothes in general) on a hot day, wearing make-up, shaving your legs, making yourself presentable to go out the door - these are all things that if it wasn't for what other poeple would say, a lot of women wouldn't do. I don't think it would make sense to enforce a law that women must not wear make-up because it is oppressing them and it is not really their choice as it's due to societal and media pressures...
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am all for religious freedom but in the seat of democracy, presenting your identity i.e. your face is key. We would not tolerate men wearing motor helmets or balaclavas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads