Mediocre AS Maths grades going into Medicine. Resit?

Watch
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I got BBB in AS Maths, and I want to get an A overall. Whilst I can still mathematically get an A (I have 215 total UMS so far), I've set myself up for an uphill battle.

Should I resit, or try to ace A2 to get an A?
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
A2 is a fair bit harder than AS, and you will almost certainly need an A grade at A-Level for Medicine (unless you're doing 4 subjects). I'd retake AS exams next year too.
Fractite
Rep:
?
(Original post by usycool1)
A2 is a fair bit harder than AS, and you will almost certainly need an A grade at A-Level for Medicine (unless you're doing 4 subjects). I'd retake AS exams next year too.
Well I am doing 4 subjects, meaning I already have 12 exams next year. Or does that mean that I could potentially get in with a B?
LPauling
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say retake
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fractite)
Well I am doing 4 subjects, meaning I already have 12 exams next year.
What were your other grades like? If they were higher than Maths, you could consider dropping Maths and concentrating on the other three. You only need 3 A-Levels for Med.
Fractite
Rep:
?
What were your other grades like? If they were higher than Maths, you could consider dropping Maths and concentrating on the other three. You only need 3 A-Levels for Med.
Well, we had mocks for Year 12:

Psychology: A*
Biology: A
Chemistry: B
Mathsmad123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got BBB in AS Maths, and I want to get an A overall. Whilst I can still mathematically get an A (I have 215 total UMS so far), I've set myself up for an uphill battle.

Should I resit, or try to ace A2 to get an A?
RESIT it mate. Let me repeat that RESIT IT.
All of them.
Aim for 260 UMS in AS maths, because my friend, A2 is a lot lot lot harder XD
Here is the good news: Once you do A2 maths AS becomes piss easy so you should easily achieve 260 UMS (without much work)

EDIT: if you are doing 4 subjects dont worry as much. All you need is 3As for medicine
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Report 3 years ago
Well, we had mocks for Year 12:

Psychology: A*
Biology: A
Chemistry: B
Pretty good grades.

My advice would be to just stick with the B in AS Maths and concentrate on those three subjects. In particular, concentrate on bumping that B in Chemistry up to an A. You don't need Maths for Medicine and a B at AS is completely fine for most places.
Fractite
Rep:
?
Pretty good grades.

My advice would be to just stick with the B in AS Maths and concentrate on those three subjects. In particular, concentrate on bumping that B in Chemistry up to an A. You don't need Maths for Medicine and a B at AS is completely fine for most places.
Dropping Maths altogether? Hmm... maybe..
ax12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dropping Maths altogether? Hmm... maybe..
You can't drop chemistry and it would definitely be sensible to do 3 a levels so you don't have too big a work load. Not all universities accept resits, so check the ones that you want to apply to. I'd strongly consider dropping maths, you certainly don't need it
Ravenous food
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You could be fine with a B in AS maths provided you get predicted the A level grades for medicine. If you resit, don't resit all of them. The entire maths department at my school said if you're going to resit maths, make sure you're not resitting the non-core modules from Year 12 as you will have done no work in class on it, and you will get a lower grade as did the vast, vast majority of people, or a marginal increase in UMS. It's C1/C2 you can easily resit.
Fractite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ravenous food)
You could be fine with a B in AS maths provided you get predicted the A level grades for medicine. If you resit, don't resit all of them. The entire maths department at my school said if you're going to resit maths, make sure you're not resitting the non-core modules from Year 12 as you will have done no work in class on it, and you will get a lower grade as did the vast, vast majority of people, or a marginal increase in UMS. It's C1/C2 you can easily resit.
Yeah it'll probably be C1 as I got lower UMS on that one.
laurenlodge
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Re-take.

I cannot stress how much easier AS maths becomes once you start taking A2 (I thought C1 was really hard at AS, re-took with very little practice and don't think I dropped a UMS. The second year just rewires your brain a little).

I imagine you'll find you bump your grade up without much extra revision, and it might be that every little UMS helps.
Fractite
Rep:
?
(Original post by lauralodge)
Re-take.

I cannot stress how much easier AS maths becomes once you start taking A2 (I thought C1 was really hard at AS, re-took with very little practice and don't think I dropped a UMS. The second year just rewires your brain a little).

I imagine you'll find you bump your grade up without much extra revision, and it might be that every little UMS helps.
Alright. I think I'll do that. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads