The Student Room Group
Reply 1
As you'll all have separant tenancy agreements, you'll each have to buy a TV license. They'll send you at least 2 warnings before they take action, though :smile:
wicked thanks...if i switch off my tv thoughthet shouldnt be able to traceit should they? or do i need to take the aerial out?
Reply 3
I didn't watch any TV at all or have my ariel plugged in, but I still got a letter. I think they contact you when they find out that the previous tenant has moved
Reply 4
iceman_jondoe
wicked thanks...if i switch off my tv thoughthet shouldnt be able to traceit should they? or do i need to take the aerial out?

They can't 'trace' anything. It's a complete myth. The only way they can prosecute you is if you admit to using it, or they actually see you using it.
how are you sure?
Reply 6
They don't "trace" your television. All that detector van stuff is rubbish - no evidence from one has ever been presented in front of a court. They simply write to (and occasionally visit) every address that's unlicensed.

As for warnings - firstly, by watching a television without a licence, you are committing a criminal offence. It's rather like committing a minor crime in front of a policeman - 9 times out of 10, they'll probably let you off with a warning if you buy a licence thereafter, but there's no guarantee.

That said, I've been merrily evading for almost four years now.
Reply 7
iceman_jondoe
how are you sure?

Like I say, no evidence from a detector van ever used in a court. Moreover, quite a few TVLO employees have said that they drive around vans with nothing in them basically as an intimidation tactic.
Reply 8
Dionysus
They can't 'trace' anything. It's a complete myth. The only way they can prosecute you is if you admit to using it, or they actually see you using it.

Presumably if they heard you using it, they could get a warrant on that basis too.

However I've never actually heard of a warrant being granted for this either. In almost all occasions, they'd probably just prosecute you on that basis and hope that you plead guilty by post, pay your fine and be on your way.
Libertinus Septentrionalis
Presumably if they heard you using it, they could get a warrant on that basis too.

However I've never actually heard of a warrant being granted for this either. In almost all occasions, they'd probably just prosecute you on that basis and hope that you plead guilty by post, pay your fine and be on your way.

ahh ok. Well im never in most of the time during the day would they do these "checks" in the evenings?
Reply 10
They check student premises in the evenings deliberately. The problem is that they will indeed prosecute even when they have no hope of winning in court, because they know it is unlikely that you will bother contesting it. The important thing to remember is that they have no police powers at all - they are just the same as door-to-door salesmen collecting their fee. Still, I'm considering just buying one because I know my University accomodation would let them in and probably even disclose that I have a TV connection on my laptop.
They can't trace ****. I got the same warning of inspection as my friend who watches TV 24/7 with some kind of box so she can get more channels and I haven't had mine on for more than five seconds in two months.
Everyone gets the warnings, I don't even have a tv and I get them.

Latest

Trending

Trending