Legacy AS Modules Retakes 2018 - Will grade boundaries be affected?

Watch
t10r
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Right.

I have a very important question which could spark a discussion.

Since for a lot of subjects like Maths, a new A level specification will be introduced for first teaching in 2018, people retaking AS modules next year will solely be year 13s since the new year 12s will be doing a different specification.

However, up to this point, each year, people taking AS modules would be a mixture of year 12s taking those modules for the first time and year 13s taking those modules as retakes.

But next year (2018), people taking the AS modules will only be year 13s who, on average, perform better than year 12s doing it the first time around. Therefore, the national performance for those modules next year will be higher. As a result, grade boundaries will also be higher due to increased national performance.

I believe that this is an issue since this would mean that people retaking AS modules up to now would have had a higher chance of getting a higher grade than people retaking AS modules next year.

Please let me know what you think.
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by t10r)
Right.

I have a very important question which could spark a discussion.

Since for a lot of subjects like Maths, a new A level specification will be introduced for first teaching in 2018, people retaking AS modules next year will solely be year 13s since the new year 12s will be doing a different specification.

However, up to this point, each year, people taking AS modules would be a mixture of year 12s taking those modules for the first time and year 13s taking those modules as retakes.

But next year (2018), people taking the AS modules will only be year 13s who, on average, perform better than year 12s doing it the first time around. Therefore, the national performance for those modules next year will be higher. As a result, grade boundaries will also be higher due to increased national performance.

I believe that this is an issue since this would mean that people retaking AS modules up to now would have had a higher chance of getting a higher grade than people retaking AS modules next year.

Please let me know what you think.
When people do retakes, they do the retake of the spec they have been studying so they aren't learning different content or a different style of exams. There has been an overall trend that people doing the old A Levels have done better than those on the new, this isn't specific to retakes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads