The Student Room Group

How does Cambridge view resits? How will it weaken my application?

Just got my results for mathematics. It's really disappointing, I expected an a and I got a C.
B in C1
C in C2
C in S1

I still need to get into Cambridge. I want to resist all three and get my A - how would Cambridge see this and what will the workload be like for doing As and A2 in one year, plus two other a-levels and an EPQ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Just got my results for mathematics. It's really disappointing, I expected an a and I got a C.
B in C1
C in C2
C in S1

I still need to get into Cambridge. I want to resist all three and get my A - how would Cambridge see this and what will the workload be like for doing As and A2 in one year, plus two other a-levels and an EPQ?

They don't like a completely resat AS-level unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still need to get into Cambridge.

Why? Anybody can 'want' to get into Cambridge but nobody 'needs' to, I'd think.....?

I want to resist all three and get my A - how would Cambridge see this and what will the workload be like for doing As and A2 in one year, plus two other a-levels and an EPQ?

Before wondering how Cambridge would see resit (as per @Doonesbury), it may be better to think carefully if you can manage it. A2 maths is much harder than AS, naturally, so it's quite possible you may find it even more challenging than AS. There's a risk doing all these you mentioned would spread you too much and end up getting not great grades in all of them, esp. maths.
Original post by Doonesbury
They don't like a completely resat AS-level unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by extenuating circumstances?
Reply 4
What do you mean by extenuating circumstances?

Cambridge defines them as:

"The sort of circumstances it would be appropriate to inform us of include:

a serious, acute or chronic medical condition (especially since the age of 14) which caused significant educational disruption

significant caring responsibilities, or recent bereavement or serious illness within close family

serious disruption to educational provision at school/college

other circumstances where serious disruption has occurred the school/college is welcome to contact a College admissions office to discuss an applicant's particular circumstances"

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending