The Student Room Group

Calling home all the time.

For those of you who are at uni or have just left home for the first time how often do you call home or your parents? When i left i only really called them if i needed to, if i ran out of money or felt homesick. I call my mum maybe twice a week if that. But my housemate calls his mum everynight. Its his second year at uni so it can't be that he is away for the first time and misses him mum too much. I just think its a little strange cos i don't know anyone else even first years who call their parents everynight. What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In my first year, I barely called my Mum at all. I didn't really get on with her, so only bothered to call if I wanted to talk to my brother - and avoided even this most of the time...once a month maybe?

This year, we're getting on a lot better, so I've been phoning her much more; most days if I get the chance - both to talk to her and my brother.

It's nothing to do with missing them really; it's just an extra person or two to chat to - something you don't tend to have time for in the first year; which might explain why your second year friend has started making all these calls now - unless he did so as much in his first year.
I text my mum every day, or rather, she normally texts me. Even if it's just to say "good night" or something. Speak on the phone every few days.

I don't mind, I like keeping in touch with my family :smile:
I don't speak to my mother everyday and I live with her. Lmao.
Reply 4
my parents usually call me. i guess i probably speak to each of them once every week. i get on well with both of them, i just dont really need to speak to them. i know i can call them if i need to and tbh they've hinted it upsets them that i dont need them. i've not been home at all this term but each parent has come to visit me
Reply 5
maybe he is more worried about her missing him? that would be more why id ring my mum cause id feel bad not to
Reply 6
I'm in my first year at Uni (first time living away) and I tend to call home (or they call me) every weekend.

It's nice to spend half an hour or so and talk about the past week and find out how everybody is getting on. I also email and send photos maybe slightly more than once a week.

I've found that I haven't really been homesick (I thought I would be), although I am looking forward to going home for the Xmas break in 3 weeks.
Mum rings me once a week. More for her sake than mine.
Reply 8
I speak to my Mum every day (bar when I'm with my boyfriend). I don't mind, I'm not homesick, but it's not interfering with anything and it's nice to have someone from home to chat to :smile:
is he an only child? if so then him and his mum are probably just used to each others company and have a good relationship!
Reply 10
In my first term at Uni I used to talk to my mum every day, but now it's maybe once every couple of weeks when we need to talk for practical purposes (I'm in my third year). However, I did know a girl (she graduated last year) who used to call her parents every night for the whole 4 years she was at Uni and cry. Struck me as very weird, but hey. Who am I to judge?
Reply 11
I speak to my parents every day :smile: Sometimes I phone them, and sometimes they phone me. I like it, especially since I need to keep close to them while I'm in the country, because it's more difficult when I am in Peru.
Reply 12
It may be for his family's benefit, not his. Perhaps there are problems at home that you don't know about and he feels the need to keep in touch.
I talk to my parents twice a week, however I have one friend who phones them at least once, sometimes twice, a day. I don't think there's any "normal" figure. It just depends on how your relationship with them was before you left.
Reply 14
I speak to my mum at least once a day, my dad probably about once a fortnight. I've been at boarding school since I was 11, and now I'm in my first year at university I've just kept the habit :s:.
Reply 15
michaelnicholson88
I don't think there's any "normal" figure. It just depends on how your relationship with them was before you left.

:ditto:
Reply 16
My dad calls me once a week to make sure that I'm still alive, and my mum tends to call me at a random point to babble about whatever's going on and also to make sure that I'm OK. I don't tend to call them very much (unless I decide that it's my turn to make the obligatory weekly phone call), although I will pick up the phone if I need to talk to them about something.

I know some people who will voluntarily phone their families a few times a week, some who'll never contact them, and some students have families that will call them multiple times each day. Like has been said already, it depends upon the student's relationship with their family.

Is it too much? Well, that would depend upon the individual case. Some people may manage a daily phone call without there being any reason to label it as "too much", yet there could be a student who has a weekly call and it's more than required... So no, there's no set figure for how often you should call the family.
how embarassing i wasn't at a long distance uni at all and we rang each other 3 times a day :s-smilie:
Reply 18
I tend to call home about once a week, but i often get my mum phoning me more than that to tell me things like they've posted me something. I'm not usually that bothered about phoning home, there is no ideal number of times to call home.

In the first weeks i actually phoned them like everyday, then that slowly diminished to one every few days, now it's when i can be bothered.
I haven't called my mum since I got here, but I've visited home 3 times.
Sometimes email my dad and he can pass on messages to her though.

Latest

Trending

Trending