The Student Room Group

Getting into Cambridge engineering with A in maths

I study further maths in addition to the normal A-level maths, physics and chemistry. I did the A-level maths course in 1 year instead of the standard 2 years and got A. Is there a chance I could still get onto an engineering degree at Cambridge (A*A*A) if I'm predicted A*s in other subjects? I would've thought that the A*s would have to be in physics and maths. Thank you.
My friend was in exactly the same position this time last year albeit only one mark short of the A* and he got an offer. As long as you show you're improving and will be on course for an A* this year you'll be fine.

Get reading this Summer!
Original post by Human.x
I study further maths in addition to the normal A-level maths, physics and chemistry. I did the A-level maths course in 1 year instead of the standard 2 years and got A. Is there a chance I could still get onto an engineering degree at Cambridge (A*A*A) if I'm predicted A*s in other subjects? I would've thought that the A*s would have to be in physics and maths. Thank you.

Unless the offer specifies subjects for the A* result, it doesn't matter.
Reply 3
Original post by Human.x

You're fine. Just bear in mind you will be applying for one of the more competitive courses ( approx 1 in 7 get an offer). The competition is stiff,

Your grades are only part of the application process, there will be the admissions assessment and interview. If you're on course for their typical A*A*A offer then have a go. My experience was that all other unis you apply for will give you an offer so using one of your UCAS choices is really not a risk IF you have these kind of grades. Warwick eg Is currently offering the Meng through clearing at AAB,

Don't over prepare or over invest in the process as many will get rejected who go on to achieve A*A*A*. However I would suggest the following for you:

Brush up on M1 and M2 units a bit
www.iwanttostudyengineering.org is a fantastic resource.

Best of luck😀

Quick Reply

Latest