Jor64
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone, I got my AS results: D in computing, B in psychology and A in religious studies. I'm very happy with them as I had a difficult year, but I'm re-thinking about studying computer science at University. Are there any university courses you would recommend with my subjects? I was thinking about taking a gap year after A2 to have more time to decide and apply for universities with achieved grades rather than predicted, as I feel I can improve on my grade for A2.
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
shadowdweller will be able to help you out given her degree in Computer Science
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jor64)
Hi everyone, I got my AS results: D in computing, B in psychology and A in religious studies. I'm very happy with them as I had a difficult year, but I'm re-thinking about studying computer science at University. Are there any university courses you would recommend with my subjects? I was thinking about taking a gap year after A2 to have more time to decide and apply for universities with achieved grades rather than predicted, as I feel I can improve on my grade for A2.
Hi there! Is it just the grade that's making you rethink Computer Science, or are there other factors too? I also did Computing at A-level and got a C, but I found Computer Science at university a lot more suited to me, and ended up with a First in my degree, so I certainly wouldn't write it off immediately!
Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
psychology, english, religious studies, perhaps games design if you like being creative. I would recommend going to a university/careers fair because you can pick up prospectuses and ask questions there.
Jor64
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Hi there! Is it just the grade that's making you rethink Computer Science, or are there other factors too? I also did Computing at A-level and got a C, but I found Computer Science at university a lot more suited to me, and ended up with a First in my degree, so I certainly wouldn't write it off immediately!
Hi
It's mainly the grade, but also because I feel my other subjects aren't well suited to computer science for university. I mean, I know I'm doing it for A-level, but Psychology and Religious studies don't complement the subject that well, and if my AS result isn't that good I feel I might need to re-think about what university course I should apply to. I am very passionate about the subject, I know I got an A at GCSE computing when I was predicted a D so I feel that hopefully I might be able to bounce back from what I have
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jor64)
Hi
It's mainly the grade, but also because I feel my other subjects aren't well suited to computer science for university. I mean, I know I'm doing it for A-level, but Psychology and Religious studies don't complement the subject that well, and if my AS result isn't that good I feel I might need to re-think about what university course I should apply to. I am very passionate about the subject, I know I got an A at GCSE computing when I was predicted a D so I feel that hopefully I might be able to bounce back from what I have
I think a passion for Computer Science is really the most important thing in general; as long as you meet the entry requirements for whichever uni you wish to apply to, you're set on that front! Most universities, or at least, most I know of, build from an assumption that you have no experience with things like programming or computational maths, so you'd have plenty of adjustment time in that sense.

If you're set on an alternate course, then there should be plenty of options for you; what areas are you interested in otherwise?
Jor64
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I think a passion for Computer Science is really the most important thing in general; as long as you meet the entry requirements for whichever uni you wish to apply to, you're set on that front! Most universities, or at least, most I know of, build from an assumption that you have no experience with things like programming or computational maths, so you'd have plenty of adjustment time in that sense.

If you're set on an alternate course, then there should be plenty of options for you; what areas are you interested in otherwise?
I enjoy games design, and I also enjoy Psychology and Religious Studies, so something like a philosophy or a clinical psychology degree could suit me I suppose
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jor64)
I enjoy games design, and I also enjoy Psychology and Religious Studies, so something like a philosophy or a clinical psychology degree could suit me I suppose
In terms of Psychology, some universities will ask for a Maths or a Science, but generally you don't need them. Naturally studying Psychology will put you at an advantage on that front

There are no specific requirements for Theology and Religious Studies, nor for Philosophy, so you'd be fine for either of those in terms of the a-levels you're studying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads