The Student Room Group

Resitting an A level maths module

So I just got my A level results- ABB (a great improvement on last years ADEE) so I am very happy.

At the risk of sounding like a prick, because I know I've done quite well, but I would like to improve my maths grade from a B to an A

Would anyone be able to tell me how much better I would need to be able to do in core 4 to be able to get an A overall (is it even possible idk?)

I won't bother if I can't improve my overall grade, but it might be worth a try

My maths modules:
Core 1- A
Core 2- A
Core 3- B
Core 4- D
Stats - B
Mechanics-C

Thanks if u can help xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Cactus_killer
So I just got my A level results- ABB (a great improvement on last years ADEE) so I am very happy.

At the risk of sounding like a prick, because I know I've done quite well, but I would like to improve my maths grade from a B to an A

Would anyone be able to tell me how much better I would need to be able to do in core 4 to be able to get an A overall (is it even possible idk?)

My maths modules:
Core 1- A
Core 2- A
Core 3-C
Core 4- D
Stats - B
Mechanics-C

Thanks if u can help xx

would need to know your ums for each module to work out what you would need to get an a overall (but it is possible through just resitting C4)
I retook C4 to change my B to an A so its definitely possible but I need to know your UMS overall and for C4 to see how much better youd need to do
Original post by pleasechoose
I retook C4 to change my B to an A so its definitely possible but I need to know your UMS overall and for C4 to see how much better youd need to do

Maybe this is a dumb question but where do you find the UMS marks? Is it the numbers shown on the results sheet? X
Maybe this is a dumb question but where do you find the UMS marks? Is it the numbers shown on the results sheet? X

yup :smile: I just need the overall one which is the number at the top and the one for c4
Original post by pleasechoose
yup :smile: I just need the overall one which is the number at the top and the one for c4

Overall is 435 and C4 is 54 (I think) x
Reply 6
Overall is 435 and C4 is 54 (I think) x

Hi!
is your exam board edexcel? Im not sure if different exam boards have different boundaries..
An A in maths is 480 UMS, so you'd need to get 45 more UMS to get an A which means you'd have to get 99 UMS in C4 which would be tricky. Would you consider retaking another unit too? possibly mechanics?
Reply 7
and also congrats on the great results!! :smile:
Original post by Kiimii
Hi!
is your exam board edexcel? Im not sure if different exam boards have different boundaries..
An A in maths is 480 UMS, so you'd need to get 45 more UMS to get an A which means you'd have to get 99 UMS in C4 which would be tricky. Would you consider retaking another unit too? possibly mechanics?

I'm AQA, does that make a difference?x

My maths modules:
Core 1- A
Core 2- A
Core 3- B
Core 4- D
Stats - B
Mechanics-C

Thanks if u can help xx

well done on your result, I'm so proud of you (although I don't know you) but last year did you get a D in maths? You said last year you got ADDE, what was he courses which you did bad on.
I'm AQA, does that make a difference?x

You need 480 UMS in total to get an A in maths. If you intend to just retake C4 you'll need 99 UMS (which was 65/75 in the 2017 paper), a near perfect score. Not exactly a walk in the park - I only managed to get 91.

Personally if I were you, I would retake C3, and, most importantly, C4 and mechanics.
Original post by Mr revision
well done on your result, I'm so proud of you (although I don't know you) but last year did you get a D in maths? You said last year you got ADDE, what was he courses which you did bad on.

Last year I got an A in biology, a D in Latin and Es in chemistry and maths 😂😂 (I dropped Latin coz ew)

And thank you for the pride 😋
(edited 6 years ago)
You need to get 45 more marks yeah so if you resit your lowest 2 or 3 you might be able to bump it up.
Youll need average of 80% in C3 and C4 and 480 points in total

You should probably retake mechanics and C4, or think about doing D1 in the place of M1 if you find it hard (though D1 is so boring)
Original post by Candlewood
Youll need average of 80% in C3 and C4 and 480 points in total

You should probably retake mechanics and C4, or think about doing D1 in the place of M1 if you find it hard (though D1 is so boring)

You need 480 in total. You do not meet an average of 80% in C3 and C4.

Quick Reply

Latest