The Student Room Group

My Shocking AS Results....

So today I picked up my AS results and was incredibly shocked to see that I had got E D E U, E in Maths, D in Chemistry, E in Biology, U in Physics. Now Physics I was always going to drop but the reason I am so shocked about these results is due to the fact that in my mocks beforehand, I had been getting A's in Maths, A and B in Chemistry and B or C in Biology. So these results shocked me. I want to apply to Oxford to do Medicine and I know that these results are definitely not what I am going to be getting in A2 but as of now, I am stumped. I do not know what to do and how to proceed. Please help.
Original post by edenrosea
So today I picked up my AS results and was incredibly shocked to see that I had got E D E U, E in Maths, D in Chemistry, E in Biology, U in Physics. Now Physics I was always going to drop but the reason I am so shocked about these results is due to the fact that in my mocks beforehand, I had been getting A's in Maths, A and B in Chemistry and B or C in Biology. So these results shocked me. I want to apply to Oxford to do Medicine and I know that these results are definitely not what I am going to be getting in A2 but as of now, I am stumped. I do not know what to do and how to proceed. Please help.

Sorry to hear that. There is still hope, just work harder at A2, exceed your prediction grades and reapply the next year.
Reply 2

Have you considered getting a remark? Especially if you have been getting A's all year and your results are a surprise to you, there is a chance you maybe were marked wrong.
Be honest with yourself. Did anything go wrong in the exams and do you think if you had to redo the qualifications today your scores would go up? If not, maybe have a look at other degrees closely related to medicine.
Lastly, what grades are your school willing to predict you? If you can get predicted (and achieve) 3A's this year, some unis don't look at AS results, so you could apply there. If not, you could take a gap year and apply with achieved grades if you think you can get 3A's. If not, look into doing another degree first and then graduate entry medicine.
The worst thing is most teachers in state schools would pat you on the back and congratulate you on *passing*. Just know there are people who have done worse and that you have the whole of next year to do retakes and learn from your mistakes. best of luck
Reply 4
You can try, but realistically, I would make other plans. Med schools tend not to like resits, and your predicted grades are going to be quite low as it is. Best thing to do is contact unis and see what they say.

Hey, can I just say, I'm with you on this, I too got some really shockingly bad AS results ( E in Chem, D in maths E in english C in psychology)
It sucks dude, but we can get through this :/

Hey! :smile:
I'm really sorry that you did not get the results you wanted. I'd suggest that you resit your AS-Levels to boost up your results, giving you a better starting point for your A2s.

Hope that helps and let me know if you need anything else!

Madi (3rd year psychology student)
Reply 7
Original post by Airmed
You can try, but realistically, I would make other plans. Med schools tend not to like resits, and your predicted grades are going to be quite low as it is. Best thing to do is contact unis and see what they say.

Why don't med schools like re-takes?

This is just curiosity, but surely the re-take would pay off if the student achieved higher than expected?
Reply 8
Original post by Jor64
Why don't med schools like re-takes?

This is just curiosity, but surely the re-take would pay off if the student achieved higher than expected?

It's basically viewed as competition; people who get the grades first sitting tend to be more favoured.
Reply 9
Original post by Airmed
It's basically viewed as competition; people who get the grades first sitting tend to be more favoured.

Ah OK thanks :smile:, I was confused when my teachers told me in a presentation that some unis and courses don't like retakes.

I'm in a similar situation! I take Biology, Maths, Chem and Economics and I got
C - Econ
D - Chemistry
E - Math
U - BIOLOGY!!
and I've been getting As and Bs in chem all year and As in math and biology!!
Thankfully im not planning to do medicine at all (not into it) and I'm applying for Economics which reequires math! I'm so screwed aha
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
x

Realistically, even your predicted grades were not going to put you in a strong position to apply for Oxford. Remember that medicine is a very competitive subject and many applicants end up with no offers from medical schools. You need to reassess your situation and probably set your sights lower than Oxford. If you are able to turn things around next year, you might be able to make a stronger application post A level but you will have to work out what went wrong and make significant improvements.

For what it's worth, I have a friend whose A levels did not go well enough to secure a place at medical school. He studied biomedical sciences instead, then graduate medicine, and is now a junior doctor. So you should not view this as the end of your medical ambitions, even if you don't take the route you were originally hoping to.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending