Postgraduate student bank accounts

Watch
BFell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out what to do about banking when I start my Masters in September and I'm really struggling to find an answer online. I even asked HSBC and Nationwide and they didn't really explain it either.

Basically, I finished university 4 years ago and am now going back to study. I changed from my graduate account some time ago to a normal current account. Am I eligible for any student account even as a post-grad? or, is there any specific post-grad bank accounts that I could get?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
999tigger
Badges: 19
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BFell)
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out what to do about banking when I start my Masters in September and I'm really struggling to find an answer online. I even asked HSBC and Nationwide and they didn't really explain it either.

Basically, I finished university 4 years ago and am now going back to study. I changed from my graduate account some time ago to a normal current account. Am I eligible for any student account even as a post-grad? or, is there any specific post-grad bank accounts that I could get?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Ok youve hit a bit of a wall, that am not sure bank staff will always understand and that's why they hardly exist.

Undergraduate account they get, turning it into a graduate account they get, but postgrad accounts are rare. I expect you will send them into a loop and efer you to graduate accounts, which ofc you have had.

Santander has one.

http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/curren...urrent-account

This article has done some work as a starting point for you to try and find the others, but you really have to ring round.

https://www.savvywoman.co.uk/8970/th...for-graduates/
username2789280
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Ok youve hit a bit of a wall, that am not sure bank staff will always understand and that's why they hardly exist.

Undergraduate account they get, turning it into a graduate account they get, but postgrad accounts are rare. I expect you will send them into a loop and efer you to graduate accounts, which ofc you have had.

Santander has one.

This article has done some work as a starting point for you to try and find the others, but you really have to ring round.

Thanks, I'm looking at this as well - Santander it is, then.

I'd like to stay with Nationwide, really, but I've tried to apply today and their student account is only available for undergraduates, because they use UCAS to confirm your eligibility. This might be the same for a few other providers too.
BFell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)

Santander has one.

Fantastic! That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.
username2789280
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Santander's 123 Postgraduate account does look appealing. However, I went to go and apply the other day (you have to do it in-branch unless you have an account with them already) and they made it so difficult and were pretty brusque. I've banked with Santander before and it wasn't a pleasant experience. They are not a nice company.

Ended up upgrading with Nationwide to their account that has a £400 overdraft. Good luck in finding something!
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by worldender)
Santander's 123 Postgraduate account does look appealing. However, I went to go and apply the other day (you have to do it in-branch unless you have an account with them already) and they made it so difficult and were pretty brusque. I've banked with Santander before and it wasn't a pleasant experience. They are not a nice company.

Ended up upgrading with Nationwide to their account that has a £400 overdraft. Good luck in finding something!
I'm with Nationwide already and looking for some kind of PG account - how exactly do you upgrade to the £400 overdraft account? Thanks.
username2789280
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
I'm with Nationwide already and looking for some kind of PG account - how exactly do you upgrade to the £400 overdraft account? Thanks.
It's the FlexDirect account. If you have an account with them already you can do it online in a couple of minutes, just login to your online banking and there's a set of links to upgrade or change to other available current accounts.

The overdraft is interest-free, but it's only fee-free for the first 12 months, after which you pay 50p for every day you're overdrawn. I will cross that bridge when I come to it and maybe change, although I don't tend to use overdrafts except in an emergency.

It's not a bespoke student/PG account at all, just didn't want to go through the rigmarole of switching and dealing with Santander.
username2908878
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
im in the same boat, I graduated in 2013 too and start masters in September. Helpful thread, thanks gang
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (120)
57.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (24)
11.43%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (25)
11.9%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (18)
8.57%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
5.71%

Watched Threads