how can i open a bank account with a possible history with fraud Watch

This discussion is closed.
username3490412
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Like a year ago i made the mistake of doing fraud with people where they too my card and did the stuff with it.

Anyways now i desperately need a bank account for university, is there a possible way to do this. I've already been rejected once for a regular account (havent tried basic account yet). The reason was that credit score (or report) wasn't good enough. Although i'm unsure if they put fraud there because experian told me they don't have any records of me. Is there any way for me to get a bank account.

I'm 18 by the way. Also i'm not a convicted fraudster the bank just shut my account.
Alzata
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
CIFAS has put a fraud marker onto your profile which isn't visible by yourself, in order to find out the extent of the marker you would have to contact them yourself. I think you have to pay a fee for this not sure. I take it you did an AC scam on your account and the bank warned you with 60 days that the Account would be closed. Your best option now is to just open a very basic account with a cash card. You should of opened up another account when you knew your account was getting closed as the CIFAS marker would not have shown up immediately after the fraud was committed.
Alzata
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Looks like another muppet has 'banged the AC' and fallen for the scam. I'm guessing you didn't get extra money, saying it didn't work and all that?

I advise people not to help him, he's dug his own grave
LOL very accurate I must say, Lets not be that harsh on him he was an idiot back then I take it.
username3490412
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alzata)
LOL very accurate I must say, Lets not be that harsh on him he was an idiot back then I take it.
I dont have a conviction of fraud if that helps.
Alzata
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by longway1017)
I dont have a conviction of fraud if that helps.
Getting convicted for fruad is done by the police, Yes u havent been convicted for fruad but the bank and CIFAS know that fruad was commited on your account and although it is up to them wether they want to pursue with getting the police involved to recover the loss and convict you, it is simply a waste of money so consider yourself lucky. Your just gonna have to open a cash account. This will only allow you to withdra £250 a day and you cannot buy goods or servcies only. May i ask what bank closed your account as i may recommend you trying Lloyds bank as i know of someone in the same position as you who was lucky enough to open a bank account with them.
username3490412
Rep:
?
Getting convicted for fruad is done by the police, Yes u havent been convicted for fruad but the bank and CIFAS know that fruad was commited on your account and although it is up to them wether they want to pursue with getting the police involved to recover the loss and convict you, it is simply a waste of money so consider yourself lucky. Your just gonna have to open a cash account. This will only allow you to withdra £250 a day and you cannot buy goods or servcies only. May i ask what bank closed your account as i may recommend you trying Lloyds bank as i know of someone in the same position as you who was lucky enough to open a bank account with them.
Halifax but they still send me emails and letters like I'm still with them. I'm going to their branch tomorrow
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Halifax but they still send me emails and letters like I'm still with them. I'm going to their branch tomorrow
If you have a CIFAS marker for first-party fraud, it's very unlikely you will be able to open any UK bank account, even a basic one. That's how it works. See what Halifax says tomorrow (it would need to be referred anyway - they couldn't make a decision like that in branch), but I wouldn't hold out your hopes.
username3490412
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
If you have a CIFAS marker for first-party fraud, it's very unlikely you will be able to open any UK bank account, even a basic one. That's how it works. See what Halifax says tomorrow (it would need to be referred anyway - they couldn't make a decision like that in branch), but I wouldn't hold out your hopes.
Anyways thanks for all the information you've given me
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anyways thanks for all the information you've given me
You're welcome
username3490412
Rep:
?
Hold on, what's a cash account
Alzata
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hold on, what's a cash account
Depends on the bank you go with but some give the option of a debit card or cash card, and some may name the account differently. Look out for a Basic account or cash account, these are for people with damage credit profiles. You should get accpeted for one.

Cash account is a basic bank account limited to only allowing you to spend what is in the account
username3490412
Rep:
?
Depends on the bank you go with but some give the option of a debit card or cash card, and some may name the account differently. Look out for a Basic account or cash account, these are for people with damage credit profiles. You should get accpeted for one.

Cash account is a basic bank account limited to only allowing you to spend what is in the account
Thank you for all the information man. Much appreciated.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

No, you're getting bad credit and fraud mixed up. Basic bank accounts are available to those whose credit scores aren't high enough to allow them to open a full UK current account. Have a CIFAS marker for first party fraud is an entirely separate matter, and means that all bank accounts would be unaccessible - including basic ones.
Alzata
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, you're getting bad credit and fraud mixed up. Basic bank accounts are available to those whose credit scores aren't high enough to allow them to open a full UK current account. Have a CIFAS marker for first party fraud is an entirely separate matter, and means that all bank accounts would be unaccessible - including basic ones.
You can open a basic account with a CIFAS marker a friend of mine has done it, £20,000 from another account was transferred to his and withdrawn. His Lloyds was closed with only 14 days notice and he had a barclays opened a week after it had been closed.
Kristanb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had a cash in hand job where I thought my boss was paying my tax so I had been putting money in my account with Barclays it's now been shut because they thought it was fraud, tried opening one at Santander and they sent me a letter saying that can't offer me a bank but need one asap to renew my car insurance help would be appreciated?
maximus217
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

get a online bank account, they do cost money to keep them open but it's better than nothing. Having been in your situation until very recently , i would recommend opening an account with Monese (their online reviews seem to be the best out of all of them, and looking at their offers i think they're the best value for money) and as they're still sending you letters I strongly recommend you going into the bank to check if your account is still active as it may be that they haven't actually closed the account. in the case that they haven't, use that account but DO NOT open any other accounts with them (i.e. savings etc) as the cifas marker will show and then they may close the account that survived plus the savings accounts. hope this helps
AtheClassicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could try changing your name using a deed poll and try either Metrobank or Halifax because they don’t ask for proof of address so you can use a friend or relatives as a ‘ correspondence’ address. You might still have a problem because they start to run credit checks for current accounts when you reach 18 but you should be fine for a basic account.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.
Kenny1277
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My account has been blocked for fraud I desperately need an account that can allow me payments by direct debit how can I achieve this?
MurtazaAli
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,what is an AC scam?
Rick1844
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
. I’m going through a similar situation myself, would I be able to open account in Spain or would I have trouble opening account in Europe too.

Regards

Ricky
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads