medic_in_hope
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in a fairly confusing situation after getting my A Level results.I missed my offers for Medicine at Birmingham and Lancaster but Lancaster have offered me a place for Biomedical Sciences. I really wanna be a doctor but my options are:a) Take the biomed and then apply for graduate entry medicineORb) Gap year and reapply to medical schools that accept resitsI don't mind doing either one but my question is, which of the two options is quicker? I know that option b) means 2 years of no uni and then 5/6 years of medicine.... But how long would it take for me to be a doctor using option a)? Biomed is 3 years but do I then take a year out (after Unis done) to prepare a graduate entry medicine application (a year where I spend doing the entrance exams and stuff)? Surely this would mean that doing Biomed then medicine is longer??!!I dunno if I make sense right now, but I'm really confused and I'd appreciate any responses!!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by medic_in_hope)
I'm in a fairly confusing situation after getting my A Level results.I missed my offers for Medicine at Birmingham and Lancaster but Lancaster have offered me a place for Biomedical Sciences. I really wanna be a doctor but my options are:a) Take the biomed and then apply for graduate entry medicineORb) Gap year and reapply to medical schools that accept resitsI don't mind doing either one but my question is, which of the two options is quicker? I know that option b) means 2 years of no uni and then 5/6 years of medicine.... But how long would it take for me to be a doctor using option a)? Biomed is 3 years but do I then take a year out (after Unis done) to prepare a graduate entry medicine application (a year where I spend doing the entrance exams and stuff)? Surely this would mean that doing Biomed then medicine is longer??!!I dunno if I make sense right now, but I'm really confused and I'd appreciate any responses!!
what grades did you get?
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Graduate entry medical courses are more intensive and thus are often 4 years in length. 3 years in undergrad followed by 4 years Medicine would be 7 years until FY1. It will be a long process for sure, but then that;s medicine in general, it will always take many years whatever path you take. Conventional medicine (5) along with an intercalated BSc takes you to 6. Extended Medicine courses are done with a foundation year so last 6.
medic_in_hope
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
what grades did you get?
I got:
A - biology
B - chem
B - maths
D - physics
medic_in_hope
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrDystopia)
Graduate entry medical courses are more intensive and thus are often 4 years in length. 3 years in undergrad followed by 4 years Medicine would be 7 years until FY1. It will be a long process for sure, but then that;s medicine in general, it will always take many years whatever path you take. Conventional medicine (5) along with an intercalated BSc takes you to 6. Extended Medicine courses are done with a foundation year so last 6.
So if I did 3 years in undergrad followed by 4 years Medicine, in what year do I submit an application to graduate entry?
Do I need to attain the 2:1 or higher in my third year, and then apply for medicine after leaving the uni? Does this mean it is 3 + 1 = 4 years before I can start the grad course?!
Or do I apply for medicine whilst I'm completing my biomed (in the last third year?)
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So if I did 3 years in undergrad followed by 4 years Medicine, in what year do I submit an application to graduate entry?
Do I need to attain the 2:1 or higher in my third year, and then apply for medicine after leaving the uni? Does this mean it is 3 + 1 = 4 years before I can start the grad course?!
Or do I apply for medicine whilst I'm completing my biomed (in the last third year?)
In your final year of Biomedical Sciences is when you would submit an application for Medicine. And yeah almost certainly the requirement will be 2:1 or above, maybe even an upper 2:1 (65% or above). That would mean 3 years of Biomed (Finishing in May) and then you'll hopefully begin medicine in September of the same year.
medic_in_hope
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrDystopia)
In your final year of Biomedical Sciences is when you would submit an application for Medicine. And yeah almost certainly the requirement will be 2:1 or above, maybe even an upper 2:1 (65% or above). That would mean 3 years of Biomed (Finishing in May) and then you'll hopefully begin medicine in September of the same year.
Thank you for this info!!! I was really confused!! I think I'm gonna resit and reapply instead of taking the biomed (because GEM is near impossible!)
blackcurrent101
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for this info!!! I was really confused!! I think I'm gonna resit and reapply instead of taking the biomed (because GEM is near impossible!)
most unis don't accept resits for medicine, just call and check with the unis you are thinking to apply to as the unis that do allow resits want BBB or above in your first attempt....
I'm in a similar situation but decided to do biomed then apply for medicine and even with a biomed degree some unis still look at your a levels so just research everything before you make your decision.

Goodluck!

also nothings impossible
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads