The Student Room Group

Applying with my grades (A*A*B)

Hi everyone, just got my a-level results and got a B in maths with A*'s in english lit and history. Next year I am looking to apply either to do an English lit/history joint honours degree or an anthropology degree.
My question is will I be okay applying to courses that require A*AA? Hoping that because the B was in maths the other A* will kind of cancel it out haha- any responses will be appreciated.
Of course it will be okay to apply to courses which are above your grades, however don't become disheartened if you don't receive an offer from them.

Just make sure to apply for a couple which match your grades too!

^Kam

p.s. congrats on your grades, you did brill 🎉
Original post by izzy1678
Hi everyone, just got my a-level results and got a B in maths with A*'s in english lit and history. Next year I am looking to apply either to do an English lit/history joint honours degree or an anthropology degree.
My question is will I be okay applying to courses that require A*AA? Hoping that because the B was in maths the other A* will kind of cancel it out haha- any responses will be appreciated.

Well, no, because you don't have A*AA - I'm afraid that second A* doesn't make up for the B. Those are amazing results though, I'm sure you could get into a great university. If you really want to go to a uni that requires A*AA, consider re-sitting maths (or, maybe doing a new A level in your gap year).
yeah you should be fine, the "required" grades are often more of a guideline and they also take into account your personal statements and references. I would apply to a range of universities with different required grades so that you are guaranteed at least a few offers.
Best of luck,
AF, 3rd year student
Reply 4
Thanks for the responses and congrats :h: I think I'm going to call up unis to see what their individual policies are before I apply and then hopefully it will all be okay!
Original post by Snufkin
Well, no, because you don't have A*AA - I'm afraid that second A* doesn't make up for the B. Those are amazing results though, I'm sure you could get into a great university. If you really want to go to a uni that requires A*AA, consider re-sitting maths (or, maybe doing a new A level in your gap year).

What? The majority of universities will take <offer here> or equivalent, meaning that if their tariff requirement is A*AA, A*A*B is effectively the same...

I fail to see why OP wouldn't be considered for any A*AA offers
Original post by Cupholder
What? The majority of universities will take <offer here> or equivalent, meaning that if their tariff requirement is A*AA, A*A*B is effectively the same...

I fail to see why OP wouldn't be considered for any A*AA offers

Some do that, but many (the majority, in fact) don't. A*AA and A*A*B are not effectively the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending