The Student Room Group

Should I bother applying to oxford?

I got ACC in my as exams and my trials. I'm most likely going to be predicted ABB or A*BB next year. Oxford is my dream university but seeing these results I'm not sure if I should even bother applying. I want to study law and the entry requirements are AAA.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xXamanXx
I got ACC in my as exams and my trials. I'm most likely going to be predicted ABB or A*BB next year. Oxford is my dream but seeing these results I'm not sure if I should even bother applying. I want to study law and the entry requirements are AAA.

it could be better to apply once you've got your a level grades.
I got ACC in my as exams and my trials. I'm most likely going to be predicted ABB or A*BB next year. Oxford is my dream but seeing these results I'm not sure if I should even bother applying. I want to study law and the entry requirements are AAA.

Depending on the rest of your application you may get an interview but you'd have to do really well to make up for 2 Bs. I applied to Cambridge with AAAB at AS and they rejected me because my UMS was below average, but Oxford look less at specific marks so you my well still be in with a chance! It's still worth a try :smile:

What do your GCSE's look like?
Reply 4
You'll definitely need the predictions AAA or above so you just need to work out how to get them. You also need to be sure that you actually can reach them for A2.

Do some extra work, prove your dedication and plead with your teachers.

If you don't get those predicted grades then I wouldn't apply. But its really not the end of the world - there are some awesome unis that aren't Oxford. If you end up going to another uni for your BA, you can always apply to Oxford to do a masters degree!
Reply 5
Original post by Immunology
What do your GCSE's look like?

1A* 4A's 4B's 1C When I went to the open day, in the law talk the lecturer said they had taken someone on with just 1A* so it wasn't necessary to have a tonne. That gave me a bit of hope but I'm still not sure.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lowza
You'll definitely need the predictions AAA or above so you just need to work out how to get them. You also need to be sure that you actually can reach them for A2.

Do some extra work, prove your dedication and plead with your teachers.

If you don't get those predicted grades then I wouldn't apply. But its really not the end of the world - there are some awesome unis that aren't Oxford. If you end up going to another uni for your BA, you can always apply to Oxford to do a masters degree!

Yeah, my politics teacher said he'll try to find a way to predict me an A but I'm getting my unit 1 paper remarked so hopefully it'll go up a bit. I'm thinking of applying to places like york and exeter but they ask for 3 A's as well. It seems that most uni's ask for that for law so it's a bit disheartening to say the least.
Reply 7
Yeah, my politics teacher said he'll try to find a way to predict me an A but I'm getting my unit 1 paper remarked so hopefully it'll go up a bit. I'm thinking of applying to places like york and exeter but they ask for 3 A's as well. It seems that most uni's ask for that for law so it's a bit disheartening to say the least.

The good thing with unis other than Oxford, thankfully, is that they're more lenient on the entry requirements. So if your personal statement and references are top notch, you should be okay. I've got a friend who got BBB today and got into a business management course at York which says AAA-B on the entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest