Should I do triple science as an extra GCSE Watch

cupcake2012
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in year 9, and starting year 10 in a few weeks. My options right now (on top of normal compulsory subjects) are:

Computer science
Economics
Triple Science (extra)

At my school, we have the option to take triple science as an extra subject on top of our other options, so we take a extra hour-long lesson after school each week.

Although I've already chosen to do it, I have the opportunity change my options until the end of the summer holidays. I'm not sure if I should do triple science as an extra anymore, as I love science and would like to have an extra GCSE, but I don't want the stress of an extra option to bring down my grades in other subjects (especially triple science).

If I was to not do triple science as an extra subject, I'd drop computer science and replace it for that.

I'm generally good-ish at science, my teacher in year 9 predicted that I'd get an 8/9 if I took triple - but on top of my other options I doubt I'd do that well!
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IR2505)
I'm in year 9, and starting year 10 in a few weeks. My options right now (on top of normal compulsory subjects) are:

Computer science
Economics
Triple Science (extra)

At my school, we have the option to take triple science as an extra subject on top of our other options, so we take a extra hour-long lesson after school each week.

Although I've already chosen to do it, I have the opportunity change my options until the end of the summer holidays. I'm not sure if I should do triple science as an extra anymore, as I love science and would like to have an extra GCSE, but I don't want the stress of an extra option to bring down my grades in other subjects (especially triple science).

If I was to not do triple science as an extra subject, I'd drop computer science and replace it for that.

I'm generally good-ish at science, my teacher in year 9 predicted that I'd get an 8/9 if I took triple - but on top of my other options I doubt I'd do that well!I'm just hoping for some advice from someone who's taken triple science GCSE in the recent past, or from someone who's taking the subject now as to whether I should take triple science as an extra subject or as one of my two options.
Do you have any idea what you want to do at A-level?

Triple science sounds like a "nice to have" but might not be essential and I agree that you don't want to feel overwhelmed for the next two years. Do you want to science at A-level/ degree?
username1638095
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When I did GCSEs I just did the standard science lessons which had 3 exams (one for bio/chem/physics) whereas triple science was 6 exams (2 of each). My friends found this was a lot of work on top of other subjects, but intended to do sciences at A-Level. Triple science is a lot of extra work if you aren't going to make use of it later on. I did biology A-level and didn't find that things that I hadn't covered by not doing triple science had much impact. So even if you do go on to do science A-levels, triple science is not essential. Also, an extra gcse isn't that important, you only need decent enough grades to get into college, and people with Es and Ds got in anyway.
cupcake2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by She-Ra)
Do you have any idea what you want to do at A-level?

Triple science sounds like a "nice to have" but might not be essential and I agree that you don't want to feel overwhelmed for the next two years. Do you want to science at A-level/ degree?
Thank you for the reply! Science is one of my favourite subjects now , so there's a decent chance I'd take science at A-level. I particularly enjoy biology, so medicine is definitely a university course I'd consider for the future, even though it's quite popular and really competitive.

I know a triple science GCSE isn't a 'must' for medicine, but I still feel inclined to give it a go since I love the subject so much. My sister is doing medicine (3rd year), and she did triple science (not as an extra option, though), but she thinks it's too hard and unnecessary, which is another reason why I feel so conflicted over what to do for my options.
She-Ra
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for the reply! Science is one of my favourite subjects now , so there's a decent chance I'd take science at A-level. I particularly enjoy biology, so medicine is definitely a university course I'd consider for the future, even though it's quite popular and really competitive.

I know a triple science GCSE isn't a 'must' for medicine, but I still feel inclined to give it a go since I love the subject so much. My sister is doing medicine (3rd year), and she did triple science (not as an extra option, though), but she thinks it's too hard and unnecessary, which is another reason why I feel so conflicted over what to do for my options.
You're so welcome

So if you do triple science you won't do computer science?

If you're thinking medicine is in the pipeline, I'd strongly consider it. Tagging in usycool1 Beska Neostigmine, what do you think, you'e the experts?
Quizlet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Computer science
Economics
Triple Science (extra)

I'm generally good-ish at science, my teacher in year 9 predicted that I'd get an 8/9 if I took triple - but on top of my other options I doubt I'd do that well!
If you love science and is considering to take it at A level, then yes.

I took triple science and as long as you start from the beginning, you'll be absolutely fine.
cupcake2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lyons)
When I did GCSEs I just did the standard science lessons which had 3 exams (one for bio/chem/physics) whereas triple science was 6 exams (2 of each). My friends found this was a lot of work on top of other subjects, but intended to do sciences at A-Level. Triple science is a lot of extra work if you aren't going to make use of it later on. I did biology A-level and didn't find that things that I hadn't covered by not doing triple science had much impact. So even if you do go on to do science A-levels, triple science is not essential. Also, an extra gcse isn't that important, you only need decent enough grades to get into college, and people with Es and Ds got in anyway.
Thank you for your help! My school makes out that the extra GCSE could make a huge impact, but after reading your response and doing a bit of research, I now know that's not the case. Thank you
cupcake2012
Rep:
?
You're so welcome

So if you do triple science you won't do computer science?

If you're thinking medicine is in the pipeline, I'd strongly consider it. Tagging in usycool1 Beska Neostigmine, what do you think, you'e the experts?
Thank you again for the reply

At my school, everybody chooses two options (mine are computer science and economics). However, you also have the choice to do triple science on top of the other two options (so you have an extra GCSE). To do this, you'd have to take a lesson of triple science every week after school. On the other hand, If you wanted to do triple science, but not as an extra GCSE, then you could take it as one of your two standard options (e.g. triple science and economics). So, you wouldn't take a lesson of triple science after school. So - I would either do:

(1) Computer Science, Economics and Triple Science (as an extra- so I'd take a lesson after school each week)

Or

(2) Economics and Triple Science (not as an extra)

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense; sorry my explanation in my first post was so jumbled
She-Ra
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you again for the reply

At my school, everybody chooses two options (mine are computer science and economics). However, you also have the choice to do triple science on top of the other two options (so you have an extra GCSE). If you wanted to do triple science, but not as an extra GCSE, then you could take it as one of your two standard options (e.g. triple science and economics). So, I would either do:

(1) Computer Science, Economics and Triple Science (as an extra)

Or

(2) Economics and Triple Science (not as an extra)

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense; sorry my explanation in my first post was so jumbled
If I was you, I'd only do computer science if you know that you'll really enjoy it and want to do it. Given it's not necessary for you medicine aspirations.....
cupcake2012
Rep:
?
If I was you, I'd only do computer science if you know that you'll really enjoy it and want to do it. Given it's not necessary for you medicine aspirations.....
I don't really love computer science - I'm just better at it than other subjects. I chose it because I read somewhere that it's good to have a mix of options. I didn't properly think through my options when I first chose them and chose based on what I thought would look good to universities as well as what my school told me, but since then I've read that universities only really care about grades rather than subjects at GCSE, and that they tend to only look at your top 8 grades anyway - so the extra subject is pointless.

Overall, I agree with you and think it's a bad idea to do computer science just so that I can have triple science an extra subject. Thank you again for all of your help!
She-Ra
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't really love computer science - I'm just better at it than other subjects. I chose it because I read somewhere that it's good to have a mix of options. I didn't properly think through my options when I first chose them and chose based on what I thought would look good to universities as well as what my school told me, but since then I've read that universities only really care about grades rather than subjects at GCSE, and that they tend to only look at your top 8 grades anyway - so the extra subject is pointless.

Overall, I agree with you and think it's a bad idea to do computer science just so that I can have triple science an extra subject. Thank you again for all of your help!

You're so welcome I'm glad it's helped! :heart:

Good luck! I think you're going to do brilliantly.
Elliedougan14
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Triple science is amazing to have if you want to take any sciences on at A level, especially for biology. Although it is 100% not required.

If you're willing to do the extra work it will help you be that one step ahead when you go on to do A levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.06%
No (322)
75.94%

Watched Threads