B in the EPQ? Watch

tantalised
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
When my EPQ was marked internally it was supposed to be an A*, turns out the examiners think differently and awarded me a B. The University of Birmingham only taken into account the EPQ if at least an A grade is achieved. Is it worth getting my EPQ remarked? I'm not sure how many marks off an A I was. I know there is only 5 marks between each grade boundary.
korosensei
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tantalised)
When my EPQ was marked internally it was supposed to be an A*, turns out the examiners think differently and awarded me a B. The University of Birmingham only taken into account the EPQ if at least an A grade is achieved. Is it worth getting my EPQ remarked? I'm not sure how many marks off an A I was. I know there is only 5 marks between each grade boundary.
It was supposed to be an A*, you say? In that case, yeah, I'd suggest getting it remarked, since if you don't get it remarked, you'd have to settle with the B, but if you do, there's a chance you could get any grade. Including an A or A*.
Even if the remark gives it a C or a D it would still make no significance as Birmingham would give it equal priority to the B grade!
tantalised
(Original post by korosensei)
It was supposed to be an A*, you say? In that case, yeah, I'd suggest getting it remarked, since if you don't get it remarked, you'd have to settle with the B, but if you do, there's a chance you could get any grade. Including an A or A*.
Even if the remark gives it a C or a D it would still make no significance as Birmingham would give it equal priority to the B grade!
Yeah, I'm so pissed. You're right, I might as well get it remarked because I have nothing to lose, lol. A B isn't a bad grade, don't get me wrong, but I'm annoyed because Birmingham won't take it into consideration unless it's an A. -_-
hatcs001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know the grade boundaries? I only got given a 'points' value for mine... plus the grade of course.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As it's internally marked and externally moderated you can't go for a personal review of marking. The only option is for your school to get everyone's re-moderated.
tantalised
(Original post by Compost)
As it's internally marked and externally moderated you can't go for a personal review of marking. The only option is for your school to get everyone's re-moderated.
That won't be a problem. I was the only student who took the EPQ at my school.
tantalised
(Original post by hatcs001)
does anyone know the grade boundaries? I only got given a 'points' value for mine... Plus the grade of course.
a* - 45
a - 40
b - 35
c - 30
d - 25
e - 21
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That won't be a problem. I was the only student who took the EPQ at my school.
Except that it probably trebles the price of trying to get it changed.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
a* - 45
a - 40
b - 35
c - 30
d - 25
e - 21
Depends on the exam board. 28 is full marks for an Edexcel EPQ.
MinatoNamikaze
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Compost)
Depends on the exam board. 28 is full marks for an Edexcel EPQ.
true for aqa my A was worth 24 points
AWatson__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MinatoNamikaze)
true for aqa my A was worth 24 points
Do you happen to know the grade boundaries for Aqa?
and did you do it this year?
I'm struggling to find something that gives proper grade boundaries for this years EPQ.
MinatoNamikaze
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AWatson__)
Do you happen to know the grade boundaries for Aqa?
and did you do it this year?
I'm struggling to find something that gives proper grade boundaries for this years EPQ.
You can see the tariff points for each grade on AQA website but there are no "grade boundries" EPQ is done seperately from the other alevels and we get the results much sooner. Yes i did last year in my year12 which continued on to my year 13. Just make sure to read all those AO1-4 i believe and make your strategy for writing your essay. It takes a lot of drafts I made around 5 drafts and worked a lot on each of them to make a final.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.74%
Excited (150)
8.97%
Worried (303)
18.12%
Terrified (374)
22.37%
Meh (154)
9.21%
Confused (37)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (229)
13.7%
Impatient (212)
12.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise