The Student Room Group

Student Finance Please Help!

Hi, I just wanted to ask if someone knows whether I can get tuition fees (so student finance) being paid from the beginning of the course (18th of September) if I just got a place at uni - since I applied through Clearing today - so therefore I didn't apply to student finance in time?
I must add that I applied before to student finance (since I am now in a gap year) but then I just declined the offer I got so now I just have a student finance account with my details on it, but not holding any offers.
Thanks a lot!
Original post by ciupi97
Hi, I just wanted to ask if someone knows whether I can get tuition fees (so student finance) being paid from the beginning of the course (18th of September) if I just got a place at uni - since I applied through Clearing today - so therefore I didn't apply to student finance in time?
I must add that I applied before to student finance (since I am now in a gap year) but then I just declined the offer I got so now I just have a student finance account with my details on it, but not holding any offers.
Thanks a lot!

Tuition fees are needing to be paid until a month after you start so you should just be in time, if you've applied for a maintenance loan then that is likely going to be late.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Tuition fees are needing to be paid until a month after you start so you should just be in time, if you've applied for a maintenance loan then that is likely going to be late.

Thanks a lot for your reply!
So that means that even if I apply in August now or in September I will still have the tuition fees being paid just in time, right?
And no I didn't apply for a living costs loan as I'll be studying from home since it's close to my home.. hope that's fine
Original post by ciupi97
Thanks a lot for your reply!
So that means that even if I apply in August now or in September I will still have the tuition fees being paid just in time, right?
And no I didn't apply for a living costs loan as I'll be studying from home since it's close to my home.. hope that's fine

yes generally it should just be in time:smile:
Reply 4
yes generally it should just be in time:smile:

Thanks again :smile:

Just another question, could you possibly describe briefly the steps to applying to student finance - like will I need a special student bank account as I only have a normal one? And should I make one even if I'm not getting a maintenance loan?
Original post by ciupi97
Thanks again :smile:

Just another question, could you possibly describe briefly the steps to applying to student finance - like will I need a special student bank account as I only have a normal one? And should I make one even if I'm not getting a maintenance loan?

there's a form to fill in online, it's pretty self explainatory, if you aren't getting a maintenance loan then you won't need to include financial details so you won't need a student account.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
there's a form to fill in online, it's pretty self explainatory, if you aren't getting a maintenance loan then you won't need to include financial details so you won't need a student account.

Oh I see thanks; well do you still recommend I get a student account however for like the benefit it bring it gives compared to a normal one? Or can I not even get one if I don't get a maintenance loan?
Sorry for asking so many silly questions!
Original post by ciupi97
Oh I see thanks; well do you still recommend I get a student account however for like the benefit it bring it gives compared to a normal one? Or can I not even get one if I don't get a maintenance loan?
Sorry for asking so many silly questions!

some won't let you have one without a maintenance loan, if you dont need an overdraft then i wouldnt bother with one.
Reply 8
some won't let you have one without a maintenance loan, if you dont need an overdraft then i wouldnt bother with one.

Thank you!
So then I do this student finance and don't bother with it as it's paid directly to the uni. By the way if after the first year at the uni I'm going to now I will then be accepted to another uni for another course (since I'm applying on Ucas this October to that other course too) will I have a problem with student finance? And by that I mean like will I still be helped with tuition fees, as well as a maintenance loan (since the other university is away from my home)? Or will I be considered as a graduate?
Original post by ciupi97
Thank you!
So then I do this student finance and don't bother with it as it's paid directly to the uni. By the way if after the first year at the uni I'm going to now I will then be accepted to another uni for another course (since I'm applying on Ucas this October to that other course too) will I have a problem with student finance? And by that I mean like will I still be helped with tuition fees, as well as a maintenance loan (since the other university is away from my home)? Or will I be considered as a graduate?

You get one gift year so you should be fine.
Reply 10
You get one gift year so you should be fine.

Oh wow I didn't know about that thing called 'gift year' :redface:
Okay so then if I wish to reapply again to that other uni in second year at this uni I got into (in case I wasn't successful) then it won't be the same, I will then have to pay myself for tuition fees and living costs loans right?
Original post by ciupi97
Oh wow I didn't know about that thing called 'gift year' :redface:
Okay so then if I wish to reapply again to that other uni in second year at this uni I got into (in case I wasn't successful) then it won't be the same, I will then have to pay myself for tuition fees and living costs loans right?

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending