The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele University A Level Clearing/Adjustment Grades vs 2017 Undergraduate Prospectus

Hello, I have come across your Clearing webpage and you ask 200 UCAS points in almost every subject (or 80 points under the new tariff system i.e. CDD grades) at A Level when your 2017 undergraduate prospectus specifies a grade range of ABB-BBC. You also did this last year. Do you not think this is irresponsible and makes the university look '"cheap" or worse "unpopular" to potential students? I understand Clearing/Adjustment is an opportunity to allow those students who have underperformed academically to have a second chance. But lowering your entry standards to that level is outright misleading against your prospectus (mis-selling/mis-advertising comes to mind) to get people in or meet recruitment targets. I just cannot see any Russell Group institutions doing this....
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nicolas1
Hello, I have come across your Clearing webpage and you ask 200 UCAS points in almost every subject (or 80 points under the new tariff system i.e. CDD grades) at A Level when your 2017 undergraduate prospectus specifies a grade range of ABB-BBC. You also did this last year. Do you not think this is irresponsible and makes the university look '"cheap" or worse "unpopular" to potential students? I understand Clearing/Adjustment is an opportunity to allow those students who have underperformed academically to have a second chance. But lowering your entry standards to that level is outright misleading against your prospectus (mis-selling/mis-advertising comes to mind) to get people in or meet recruitment targets. I just cannot see any Russell Group institutions doing this....
:hi: If you have a gripe against Keele university, my suggestion would be to put it to them. I see your point and I understand your opinions and think they are valid. But posting here won't help your cause. Get in touch with them and see how that goes.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by 04MR17
:hi: If you have a gripe against Keele university, my suggestion would be to put it to them. I see your point and I understand your opinions and think they are valid. But posting here won't help your cause. Get in touch with them and see how that goes.

I have, the response I got was "we do not reduce our entry requirements to our prestigious medical school" (sic) and to "take it up with the VC office". It was pathetic to say the least. As a former student, I think it is simply wrong. Especially as university has become so expensive (£40K debt+). When you buy a mortgage, you read the small print. But at 18 you are very impressionnable. This is notably the case if you have working class parents who never attended 'uni' and may not know what is best for you out there. Keele is not the only place that pursues this practice, many others do. But that does not make it right.
(edited 6 years ago)
If this is the case maybe I should have firmed Keele a couple of years ago as I would have got in after all being only 1-2 grades out... :frown:
Original post by Strawberry68
If this is the case maybe I should have firmed Keele a couple of years ago as I would have got in after all being only 1-2 grades out... :frown:

Firm or not, 80 UCAS points bags you a place nowadays (and the previous year) which makes it pointless to apply before your A level results (unless you are hell bent on attending the university in which case they will probably have you even if you missed your offer). That's the liberalization of university recruitment I'm afraid....
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply