ashaxo99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hi guys

today has been a real wake up call and i know for sure i need to work on bettering my maths ability, so i'm most likely going to be asking a ton of maths questions on here

i'll post the question below, every time i work it out i get cos-theta is equal to 2 and 1, therefore i get my primary solution theta = 0 for 1 and nothing for 2, therefore there's four solutions within the boundary. however, the correct answer is three solutions and i'm not sure where i've gone wrong (i wouldn't be surprised if it's something silly i've done). this is also non-calc.

thank you
ashaxo99
Rep:
?
this is the question
Attached files
Needchemhlp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try drawing cos x in that domain abd see how many values u get
TeacherP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ashaxo99)
this is the question
That's a quadratic in cos. Solve the quadratic and see how many roots there are and if any have solutions for cos in the domain given
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 3 years ago
hi guys

today has been a real wake up call and i know for sure i need to work on bettering my maths ability, so i'm most likely going to be asking a ton of maths questions on here

i'll post the question below, every time i work it out i get cos-theta is equal to 2 and 1, therefore i get my primary solution theta = 0 for 1 and nothing for 2, therefore there's four solutions within the boundary. however, the correct answer is three solutions and i'm not sure where i've gone wrong (i wouldn't be surprised if it's something silly i've done). this is also non-calc.

thank you
Although you've not expressed it too clealy, your thinking is fine for the initial solutions. What are the four solutions that you think are valid? Listing them, may show you why you're in error.
ashaxo99
Rep:
?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  499.7 KB

this is my working out, i mean, unless if i just don't know how to do trigonometry (seems plausible) and the solutions are actually supposed to be where y = 1, which is three points... i really don't know what i'm doing haha
ashaxo99
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeacherP)
That's a quadratic in cos. Solve the quadratic and see how many roots there are and if any have solutions for cos in the domain given
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Although you've not expressed it too clealy, your thinking is fine for the initial solutions. What are the four solutions that you think are valid? Listing them, may show you why you're in error.
thank you so much i just posted my working out, although i am quite confused myself with whether what i think are solutions are actually "solutions"
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  499.7 KB

this is my working out, i mean, unless if i just don't know how to do trigonometry (seems plausible) and the solutions are actually supposed to be where y = 1, which is three points... i really don't know what i'm doing haha
You have cos theta = 1 ie theta = 0 but there are other values ... look at other points on your graph.
ashaxo99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You have cos theta = 1 ie theta = 0 but there are other values ... look at other points on your graph.
thank you for your reply
i'm not too sure what other points i'm supposed to be looking at (i'm sorry i'm terrible)
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thank you for your reply
i'm not too sure what other points i'm supposed to be looking at (i'm sorry i'm terrible)
Which other values of theta have y value 1 ... hint look at 2pi and ...
ashaxo99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Which other values of theta have y value 1 ... hint look at 2pi and ...
Ooo.. so when it says cos-theta is 1, am i supposed to be looking for points where the graph touches 1.. so at 0, 2pi and 4 pi?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ooo.. so when it says cos-theta is 1, am i supposed to be looking for points where the graph touches 1.. so at 0, 2pi and 4 pi?
Yah! That's it ... well done. You keep looking until you reach the end of the range ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (7)
50%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
7.14%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (3)
21.43%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (1)
7.14%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (2)
14.29%

Watched Threads