The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Helppp loughborough accomodation

I'm really confused.
I got accomodation that I really did not want.
I wanted SELF CATERED & ENSUITE and I think I accidentally used the preference option rather than reserving a room option, as now I just got this random catered hall?... And I applied very early too. I don't know but I'm really confused and stressed out.
I WANT to be in halls no matter what. So I don't really want to reject my offer...
but im so depressed that i couldn't choose my halls because i guess i rushed and panicked :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pasiley.lea
I'm really confused.
I wanted SELF CATERED & ENSUITE and I think I accidentally used the preference option rather than reserving a room option, as now I just got this random catered hall?... And I applied very early too. I don't know but I'm really confused and stressed out.
I WANT to be in halls no matter what. So I don't really want to reject my offer...
but im so depressed that i couldn't choose my halls because i guess i rushed and panicked :frown:

Hi, I wouldn't reject your current offer. The Accommodation Office should announce a swap list for accommodation next week at some point where you may be able to swap with someone else who got accommodation which they do not want.

Here is the link to keep an eye on http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/accommodation/announcements/
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
I'm really confused.

What Halls did you get into paisley.lea? You're going to have a fantastic time no matter where you live, but I can give you more information if you want!

If you're really not happy, however, Penguinfarts is right about the swap list.

Alex
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Loughborough University
What Halls did you get into paisley.lea? You're going to have a fantastic time no matter where you live, but I can give you more information if you want!

If you're really not happy, however, Penguinfarts is right about the swap list.

Alex

I understand I will probably manage and be happy, but I wanted to cook for myself. And I'm just annoyed at myself that I threw that opportunity away through carelessness...
How do I get on to the swap list thing?
(edited 6 years ago)
I understand I will probably manage and be happy, but I wanted to cook for myself. And I'm just annoyed at myself that I threw that opportunity away through carelessness...
How do I get on to the swap list thing?

If you keep an eye on the link Penguinfarts provided, that should be updated as soon as it's available. It probably won't be until next week, however.

Alex
Reply 5
If you keep an eye on the link Penguinfarts provided, that should be updated as soon as it's available. It probably won't be until next week, however.

Alex

i have to respond before the 25th, will I be able to swap before that date...or do I accept?
i have to respond before the 25th, will I be able to swap before that date...or do I accept?

Hi paisley.lea,

I've spoken to the accommodation centre and they said that the swap list will be up on Monday or Tuesday at the link provided. You will have to have accepted your accommodation offer to be considered.

Obviously there's no guarantee that you will be able to swap though. If you let me know what halls you've got, I can perhaps help put your mind at ease? I was a student here for four years (just graduated), and have many friends in many different halls across campus and so have a lot of experience with all the different kinds of accommodation that we offer here.

Alex
Reply 7
Hi paisley.lea,

I've spoken to the accommodation centre and they said that the swap list will be up on Monday or Tuesday at the link provided. You will have to have accepted your accommodation offer to be considered.

Obviously there's no guarantee that you will be able to swap though. If you let me know what halls you've got, I can perhaps help put your mind at ease? I was a student here for four years (just graduated), and have many friends in many different halls across campus and so have a lot of experience with all the different kinds of accommodation that we offer here.

Alex

Alrighty, so I suppose the best thing to do is to accept the offer rather than reject it if I want accommodation in halls.

I got Royce hall.

Thank you I could do with the consolation :redface:
Alrighty, so I suppose the best thing to do is to accept the offer rather than reject it if I want accommodation in halls.

I got Royce hall.

Thank you I could do with the consolation :redface:

I would accept it. Then you can see what happens next week.

I am very to close to some people who live in Royce and Rutherford (it's basically the same layout).

They have just said 'With the catered thing, the food is great. To be perfectly fair, there's always going to be something that you don't like but by a couple of weeks in, you know what the options are and what to avoid. It's one less thing to worry about during revision and deadlines because you can take it out and back to your room. Being catered is super sociable - you get to know everyone in your hall and it's really easy to make friends.

Not being in an ensuite isn't as bad as it seems - there won't be many times where you need to use it and someone's already in there. It's also cleaned regularly. When I applied I wanted self-catered ensuite and I'm going back to the same hall as a returner because I had such a great time.'
Reply 9

I am very to close to some people who live in Royce and Rutherford (it's basically the same layout).

They have just said 'With the catered thing, the food is great. To be perfectly fair, there's always going to be something that you don't like but by a couple of weeks in, you know what the options are and what to avoid. It's one less thing to worry about during revision and deadlines because you can take it out and back to your room. Being catered is super sociable - you get to know everyone in your hall and it's really easy to make friends.

Not being in an ensuite isn't as bad as it seems - there won't be many times where you need to use it and someone's already in there. It's also cleaned regularly. When I applied I wanted self-catered ensuite and I'm going back to the same hall as a returner because I had such a great time.'

One thing i'm worried about is I want to take part in lots of sports and societies, and have a part time job, what if I don't have time to go back and eat?
One thing i'm worried about is I want to take part in lots of sports and societies, and have a part time job, what if I don't have time to go back and eat?

You can get your meals in a takeaway box if you need to go / don't want to eat in the dining hall, which should help with this a bit.
Original post by Penguinfarts
You can get your meals in a takeaway box if you need to go / don't want to eat in the dining hall, which should help with this a bit.

Yh I guess. No meals on Saturday or Sunday is there?
Thank goodness I have ensuite though! Phew, seeing people too much and sharing EVERYTHING would drive me crazy I think....
Yh I guess. No meals on Saturday or Sunday is there?

Yep, Meals are Monday to Friday. Lots of information is also available here http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/accommodation/halls/hallcatering/
Hi paisley.lea,

Alex

I could also use some consoling, I got on exactly at 2:30 and all the En-Suite self catered were gone.
So I ended up with Telford which I hadn't really read about but was one of the last self catered options.

I'll definitely check out the accommodation swap next week.

Is Telford good?
Thank goodness I have ensuite though! Phew, seeing people too much and sharing EVERYTHING would drive me crazy I think....

Societies are a massive part of our lives too - but whatever activities you do will always be lenient on you running back and grabbing a takeout. Remember, most students will do the same thing.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise you had an ensuite! Glad you're happy with that.

Alex
Original post by WorldofCrazies
I could also use some consoling, I got on exactly at 2:30 and all the En-Suite self catered were gone.
So I ended up with Telford which I hadn't really read about but was one of the last self catered options.

I'll definitely check out the accommodation swap next week.

Is Telford good?

Hi,

Are you catered/shared bathroom then?

Although I was only in one hall (for two years), and loved it, I've been at Loughborough for four years and only met a handful of people who didn't enjoy halls.

I think it's important to remember that you get out of your first year as much as you put in. It's unlikely you've been in this situation before, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You just need to go in with an open mind.

As for Telford, I've heard it's brill. I asked my group chat on FB if anyone was in it/knew anyone and they responded like this -

'There's nothing to worry about. There's more toilets than needed and always a shower free on your floor. The toilets and showers get cleaned every weekday and the kitchens once a week. It's a great location too, I'd say. 9/10 would recommend.'
'When someone asked me about self catered halls yesterday, it's the first one I recommended. It's right at the heart of the village. Got good common rooms, and kitchen space in each one to chill and actually hang out with your house mates without having to sit in someone's room. My mates in Telford last year bought one of those inflatable hot tubs too.'

Hope that helps and ask away if you want to know anything else!

Alex
Hi, I literally have the same problem as these guys. I've been put into accommodation which is completely different to what i put down as my preferred option and now I am freaking out. What is it like in the towers and is there any private accommodation that you could recommend for freshers?

Sorry to be pedantic but I don't want to make any mistakes again.... By accepting it I must pay the £150 room bond?
Sorry to be pedantic but I don't want to make any mistakes again.... By accepting it I must pay the £150 room bond?

Yes, you'll have to pay the room bond.

I'm not sure how this works with the swap list though, I'll have to check when I'm back in the office on Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest