The Student Room Group

At 25, should i go back to uni to do a 4 year chiropractic degree

Hi:smile: Im 24, and will be 25 if i get onto a course to study a chiropractic degree. I'm currently a paediatric nurse, and i do love it but have a strong desire to have a career in chiropractics. (a lot of me asking why i didn't do it from the beginning!! ) i have a first class hons degree, and science a-levels at ACC, so feeling positive that i will get a place. I am however wondering if its a good idea to switch careers at 25, and may i add, as a woman, (not hoping to start a feminist debate, but want to think about children etc in the future). what do people think? Thankyou in advance.
I thought Chiropractors were known as a laughing stock as it isn't regarded as a legitimate profession?
Reply 2
Original post by alfairs
Hi:smile: Im 24, and will be 25 if i get onto a course to study a chiropractic degree. I'm currently a paediatric nurse, and i do love it but have a strong desire to have a career in chiropractics. (a lot of me asking why i didn't do it from the beginning!! ) i have a first class hons degree, and science a-levels at ACC, so feeling positive that i will get a place. I am however wondering if its a good idea to switch careers at 25, and may i add, as a woman, (not hoping to start a feminist debate, but want to think about children etc in the future). what do people think? Thankyou in advance.

Age is not a problem. I went to university and studied up to master's level, worked for a bit, and then retrained as a speech and language therapist. I am going into my final year and will be 30 when I graduate. I also have a young child. So anything is possible.

I would be more concerned with your choice of profession and implications it will have on your life. There are only a few places you can train so you might have to move. The work will never be as lucrative or secure as nursing. It is not a proper allied health profession either.

An alternative would be to do a two-year master's degree in physiotherapy. That is a lot more stable and respected.
Reply 3
Hi there. I definitely applaud you for deciding on a career change and doing what makes you happy. I don't think age is a problem as there were quite a few people on my course over 30 and there was never a problem.
I would also just do more research on where you can study and your career options. You may have to move somewhere to ensure you have a stable career. I would definitely want to know the ins and outs of the degree and the opportunities it provides before making any decisions. Good luck.
Original post by alfairs

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It really does depend on whether you think Chiropractic would give you added benefits that your current degree won't. You could do a Masters in Chiropractic? I'd advise doing a CPD perhaps to see if it is something you'd be interested in. Chiropractic is very rewarding degree that provides many avenues for development and we'd be happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Jacob
Original post by evantej
Age is not a problem. I went to university and studied up to master's level, worked for a bit, and then retrained as a speech and language therapist. I am going into my final year and will be 30 when I graduate. I also have a young child. So anything is possible.

I would be more concerned with your choice of profession and implications it will have on your life. There are only a few places you can train so you might have to move. The work will never be as lucrative or secure as nursing. It is not a proper allied health profession either.

An alternative would be to do a two-year master's degree in physiotherapy. That is a lot more stable and respected.

very encouraging! so are you doing speech and language related degree? :smile:
Original post by alfairs

Age is definitely not a barrier to changing career. People well into their 30s change career all the time. I would do a lot or research into chiropractics, I would never let a chiropractor near me or any of my family ever, it's not properly regulated. I've heard far too many horror stories of chiropractors doing more damage than good, that's just my personal opinion. If it's what you want to do, then go for it. Have you looked at physiotherapy, I think you can do post grad masters in it if you've already got a degree ?
Original post by Spicychilli
Age is definitely not a barrier to changing career. People well into their 30s change career all the time. I would do a lot or research into chiropractics, I would never let a chiropractor near me or any of my family ever, it's not properly regulated. I've heard far too many horror stories of chiropractors doing more damage than good, that's just my personal opinion. If it's what you want to do, then go for it. Have you looked at physiotherapy, I think you can do post grad masters in it if you've already got a degree ?

Hi,

The old perception of chiropractic doing harm is a little outdated now. The Chiropractors Act 1994 provides statutory regulation for chiropractors and they cannot practice without it.

This is the link to an event being held at Oxford University around the topic:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-oxford-forum-presents-evidence-based-chiropractic-2018-tickets-45055916459

Please do let us know if you have any further concerns or queries as we will be happy to answer them :smile:
Original post by AECC University College rep
Hi,

The old perception of chiropractic doing harm is a little outdated now. The Chiropractors Act 1994 provides statutory regulation for chiropractors and they cannot practice without it.

This is the link to an event being held at Oxford University around the topic:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-oxford-forum-presents-evidence-based-chiropractic-2018-tickets-45055916459

Please do let us know if you have any further concerns or queries as we will be happy to answer them :smile:

I didn't realise it was actually regulated. Have never heard that before as a lot of the other health care professionals are HCPC.
My opinion still stands though, have had too many family and friends have bad experiences with chiropractors. It's just not for me, I'll stick with a physio!

Out of interest, do GPs refer patients to NHS chiropractors now?
Original post by Spicychilli
I didn't realise it was actually regulated. Have never heard that before as a lot of the other health care professionals are HCPC.
My opinion still stands though, have had too many family and friends have bad experiences with chiropractors. It's just not for me, I'll stick with a physio!

Out of interest, do GPs refer patients to NHS chiropractors now?

Hey!

Great question and glad we could help.

As far as we know, GP's do indeed refer patients to chiropractors. In some parts of the UK this can be funded by the NHS, depending on the area where the service is provided.

This link here should provide all the information you'd need on NHS and Chiropractic: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chiropractic/

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Jacob

Quick Reply

Latest