The Student Room Group

AS Maths review or retake?

Hi!

I've just got my AS results, and discovered that I was one UMS mark away from an A in maths. I'm not planning on taking maths next year, but I'm extremely annoyed as I will now forever have a B when I could have got an A. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a remark for maths, as I don't know how hard it is to gain marks in maths remarks, but I would absolutely love an A, as I did work really hard at it.

Would you recommend retaking a module (unsure if this is even possible if I'm not taking maths A2?) or if it is worth trying to get a remark, or "review" as it's now called, to try and get that one mark?

My UMS marks for each module were as follows:
C1 83 (a)
C2 83 (a)
S1 73 (b)
Total 239 B (240 needed for A)
Exam board: Edexcel

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Original post by theamagro
Hi!

I've just got my AS results, and discovered that I was one UMS mark away from an A in maths. I'm not planning on taking maths next year, but I'm extremely annoyed as I will now forever have a B when I could have got an A. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a remark for maths, as I don't know how hard it is to gain marks in maths remarks, but I would absolutely love an A, as I did work really hard at it.

Would you recommend retaking a module (unsure if this is even possible if I'm not taking maths A2?) or if it is worth trying to get a remark, or "review" as it's now called, to try and get that one mark?

C1 83 (a)
C2 83 (a)
S1 73 (b)

If it's a single mark then it would be worth trying a remark i think, then leave it at that i think unless you definitely think you want the stress of another exam.
Hi!

C1 83 (a)
C2 83 (a)
S1 73 (b)

I really wouldn't bother retaking any of it as it's just going to mean less time you can spend on your other subjects, but a review of marking is up to you. I would be tempted to do it just for your own peace of mind- I still regret not doing it for one of my GCSEs! That said, maths marks very rarely go up and the new review system makes it even more unlikely as they just look at them in general rather than going through and marking it all again. That doesn't mean don't go for it though! Have a think and talk to your teachers and family. Good luck, and well done! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by furryface12
I really wouldn't bother retaking any of it as it's just going to mean less time you can spend on your other subjects, but a review of marking is up to you. I would be tempted to do it just for your own peace of mind- I still regret not doing it for one of my GCSEs! That said, maths marks very rarely go up and the new review system makes it even more unlikely as they just look at them in general rather than going through and marking it all again. That doesn't mean don't go for it though! Have a think and talk to your teachers and family. Good luck, and well done! :smile:

Thanks!😊 I'm considering getting it remarked, I might send my teacher an email or wait until term starts and talk to them about it because the deadline for non priority remarks isn't until 21st September. Who knows, I might actually end up getting the mark, and like you said I think it would be a good idea to try simply for peace of mind because this is really bugging me haha!
Thanks!😊 I'm considering getting it remarked, I might send my teacher an email or wait until term starts and talk to them about it because the deadline for non priority remarks isn't until 21st September. Who knows, I might actually end up getting the mark, and like you said I think it would be a good idea to try simply for peace of mind because this is really bugging me haha!

That sounds a good plan :smile: good luck, hope you get it!
Maybe go for s1 remark because it might have some subjective areas. If you have a bit of money to spare get your maths teachers to look over marked scripts and ask them where they feel you might deserve an extra mark.
Reply 6
Original post by black1blade
Maybe go for s1 remark because it might have some subjective areas. If you have a bit of money to spare get your maths teachers to look over marked scripts and ask them where they feel you might deserve an extra mark.

Thanks for the tip! :smile:

Quick Reply