The best revision higher guide for maths (9-1)?

Watch this thread
Daniella_p
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello please I would like to purchase a maths higher revision guide for the 9-1 but I do not know which one is the best to get me a high grade
K.C.
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Daniella_p)
Hello please I would like to purchase a maths higher revision guide for the 9-1 but I do not know which one is the best to get me a high grade
I would recommend the Pearson REVISE EDEXCEL Books
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVISE-Edex.../dp/1447988094
- Look at the frequently bought together section, those three books were very useful to me (I preferred them over CGP: especially the Past Papers +)
-And the workbook specifically gives sections for pure problem solving.

But, if CGP is your thing or you're not on Edexcel, they have:
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Maths-...G2WETEMXPQX8TV

- (Again look at frequently bought together section).

However, to get the top grades, you might consider:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mat...3DQJ2TERMPVFFK
- Which is a book full of very challenging questions.

But like I said, I'm a Pearson fan, and they also have:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-GCS...+extension+9-1
(Once again, look at freq. bought together section [ignore the green one])

Now - I have each book I've listed above, and the ones their coupled with in the frequently bought together section, and my favourites are all the Pearson ones, and the Grade 9 targeted book.
ID73645298
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Personally i don't think any revision guide for maths is amazing as its all about practice i mean cgp is good for the basics but i suggest you use mathswatch as a key part of your revision as it not only goes through every topic but gives your practice questions to go through
K.C.
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mem123)
Personally i don't think any revision guide for maths is amazing as its all about practice i mean cgp is good for the basics but i suggest you use mathswatch as a key part of your revision as it not only goes through every topic but gives your practice questions to go through
Totally agree - I only got those books as extra practice, and reinforcing of explanations/different ways of doing things to see what I prefer. The practice papers are good, in the list that I posted above there are at least 9 amongst the books.

So use Mathswatch (don't rely on it, ask your teachers too), and:

MathsGenie
MyMaths
JustMaths
MrBartonMaths
Corbett Maths
Ask your teachers about Chruchill Maths (the papers they produce are differently, on another level, hard)
and more...
ID73645298
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by K.C.)
Totally agree - I only got those books as extra practice, and reinforcing of explanations/different ways of doing things to see what I prefer. The practice papers are good, in the list that I posted above there are at least 9 amongst the books.

MathsGenie
MyMaths
JustMaths
MrBartonMaths
Corbett Maths
Ask your teachers about Chruchill Maths (the papers they produce are differently, on another level, hard)
and more...
oh yes the churchill papers are bloody hard , as the actual exam was no where near as hard as the churchill papers. However still good practice. Any prediction on grade boundries ( if you are aqa)
K.C.
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
oh yes the churchill papers are bloody hard , as the actual exam was no where near as hard as the churchill papers. However still good practice. Any prediction on grade boundries ( if you are aqa)
Nope, Edexcel, sorry.

We used The Assessment Box once for mock exams in January and they gave 216 a Grade 9.

Based on everything we've seen recently, and the CIE grade boundaries, I think - for all boards - they'll be much, much lower than this (like 190 for a 9, maybe less)
ID73645298
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by K.C.)
Nope, Edexcel, sorry.

We used The Assessment Box once for mock exams in January and they gave 216 a Grade 9.

Based on everything we've seen recently, and the CIE grade boundaries, I think - for all boards - they'll be much, much lower than this (like 190 for a 9, maybe less)
That would be amazing How was the edexcel exam ? ive heard some people say its harder than aqa.
K.C.
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
That would be amazing How was the edexcel exam ? ive heard some people say its harder than aqa.
Well, I found Paper 1 the hardest, 2 the easiest and 3 in the middle (though it had the most problem solving); and that dreaded problem solving - it was everywhere.

Though, I felt the papers did what they should - get harder towards the end - and they did (especially on Paper 1 - I was the only one in my school who could answer the last question, and one maths teacher), there was some reasoning that did test your knowledge and some just ridiculous Qs.

Teachers online and some that I spoke to said they felt that there were some extremely hard questions, and one said he feels the grade boundaries are just gonna be so low (like 65 on each paper for a 9).

All in all, I felt I did well.

AQA?
ID73645298
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by K.C.)
Well, I found Paper 1 the hardest, 2 the easiest and 3 in the middle (though it had the most problem solving); and that dreaded problem solving - it was everywhere.

Though, I felt the papers did what they should - get harder towards the end - and they did (especially on Paper 1 - I was the only one in my school who could answer the last question, and one maths teacher), there was some reasoning that did test your knowledge and some just ridiculous Qs.

Teachers online and some that I spoke to said they felt that there were some extremely hard questions, and one said he feels the grade boundaries are just gonna be so low (like 65 on each paper for a 9).

All in all, I felt I did well.

AQA?
Tbh wasn't too hard I was expecting way harder as some specimen papers were really hard compared to the actual paper. Some questions were quite difficult but I expected that but overall it was good. I'm predicting myself either high 7 or low 8 but looking at some of the predictions people are making are much lower than what I thought they would be so hopefully I'll secure an 8
K.C.
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Tbh wasn't too hard I was expecting way harder as some specimen papers were really hard compared to the actual paper. Some questions were quite difficult but I expected that but overall it was good. I'm predicting myself either high 7 or low 8 but looking at some of the predictions people are making are much lower than what I thought they would be so hopefully I'll secure an 8
Good luck!
ID73645298
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by K.C.)
Good luck!
You too ✌🏼🤗
aoifa
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Maths Higher Revision Guide for All Boards: Higher. A Paperback edition by Steve Doyle (1 Jun 2017)
Daniella_p
Rep:
(Original post by K.C.)
I would recommend the Pearson REVISE EDEXCEL Books
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVISE-Edex.../dp/1447988094
- Look at the frequently bought together section, those three books were very useful to me (I preferred them over CGP: especially the Past Papers +)
-And the workbook specifically gives sections for pure problem solving.

But, if CGP is your thing or you're not on Edexcel, they have:
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Maths-...G2WETEMXPQX8TV

- (Again look at frequently bought together section).

However, to get the top grades, you might consider:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mat...3DQJ2TERMPVFFK
- Which is a book full of very challenging questions.

But like I said, I'm a Pearson fan, and they also have:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-GCS...+extension+9-1
(Once again, look at freq. bought together section [ignore the green one])

Now - I have each book I've listed above, and the ones their coupled with in the frequently bought together section, and my favourites are all the Pearson ones, and the Grade 9 targeted book.
Thank you very much for this help I will defintly try the Pearsons one because the Cgp is too condensed and small ☺️
Daniella_p
Rep:
Yeah Marhswatch is very good I will also add that to my revision more Thankyou ☺️
Daniella_p
Rep:
(Original post by K.C.)

MathsGenie
MyMaths
JustMaths
MrBartonMaths
Corbett Maths
and more...
Thankyou I will ask ☺️
K.C.
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Daniella_p)
Thankyou I will ask ☺️
Definitely the Pearson ones, in addition though, if you do want a Grade 9, have a look at the CGP Grade 9 Targeted book (in the list of links) - full of 4, 5, 6 and 7 mark questions to really test you. The Higher Extension Reasoning and Problem Solving Book is good too (Pearson).

I know it's a lot of books, but, literally, my school towards April time just stopped learning new content and every lesson was practising skills on Churchill and PiXL papers, so the more practice you can do at home the better (including, the workbooks, Practice Papers + and all of those websites above too - Corbett Maths has videos like MathsWatch).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads