The Student Room Group

Really good unis for veterinary science?

Obviously the RVC is my first choice but I realise that there is a high possibility that I won't get in so I need back ups😬😂anyone know really good unis for veterinary science?
Original post by MugginsMcPhee
Obviously the RVC is my first choice but I realise that there is a high possibility that I won't get in so I need back ups😬😂anyone know really good unis for veterinary science?

You dont have many to choose from.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2017/may/16/university-guide-2018-league-table-for-veterinary-science
Every vet I have spoken to has told me it does not matter what university you go to, obviously everyone is loyal to their own but ultimately they all meet the same standard to be accredited. If your heart is set on just one university you're far more likely to be disappointed than if your aim is just to study vet med!
As above, as much as I would like to aggressively push the RVC as being the place to be, all of the vet schools are great universities that will give you a very good chance of getting a job afterwards. You should make your decisions based on facilities, entry requirements, the city you want to live in etc ect. Some of the vet schools may have an unofficial area that they're particularly known for (e.g. RVC and Eddy = exotics, Liverpool = equine, Notts = farm, Cambs = research/pathology), which again is influenced by the facilities that are there, and that might be another factor to consider. You can absolutely practice within any veterinary disipline after graduating from any of the vet schools, though, this is very unofficial :yep:
My advice would be to go to the open days, see what each of the vet schools are like. It's a personal preference. As LTC would always choose RVC, I would always choose Liverpool being a liverpool student! I can't personally comment on the other vet schools because I don't go to any other vet school other than liverpool so I'd never be able to compare.

Wherever you end up ultimately you'll be happy. But you pick where you want to go based on what they have to offer and what suits you best, and to find that out you need to visit the open days, talk to current students, get a feel for the city/campus and see which you like the most. At the end of the day you only need one offer, so don't set your heart on one place because you could end up somewhere different and absolutely fall in love with the place once you're there.

Never thought I'd want to live in a city being from the countryside but I love it here at liverpool. All the vet schools are as good as each other they just have different ways of teaching and different pros and cons, you have to find these out for yourself as no-one can tell you what you'll prefer. If they weren't good, they wouldn't be accredited (or due to be accredited)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending