Psychology new spec , so students who got bs and above how did you do it?

Watch
1_Zainn_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How may hours a day should I revise for psychology , how many days a week , any tips,trick, methods to achieve B minimum or above. Thank you
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 1_Zainn_)
How may hours a day should I revise for psychology , how many days a week , any tips,trick, methods to achieve B minimum or above. Thank you
I got an A but was 4 UMS away from an A* overall. My teacher thinks I should get it revewed/remarked but I don't know yet whether it's worth it as I've got into uni now doing psychology anyway.

This was my favourite subject so I think it was naturally easier to me than it was for others. I did 4 subjects (law A2, psychology A2, politics AS, politics A2) so I did 1 day a week for each subject after college, had friday off, then split the 4 into morning/afternoon for the weekend. This was after Easter though when revision had properly started so this isn't necessary up until then.

It's important to learn your studies as THESE DIDN'T COME UP THIS YEAR despite us spending the most time revising them so they'll probably throw loads in next year to make up for it.

Also, don't ignore research methods. This was around 50% of our exam this year which no one was happy about. In our social psychology section on paper 1, I think they asked us something like 7 research methods questions and only 2 social ones from the social spec. I was so annoyed as that's my best topic.
1_Zainn_
Rep:
?
(Original post by greghayes)
I got an A but was 4 UMS away from an A* overall. My teacher thinks I should get it revewed/remarked but I don't know yet whether it's worth it as I've got into uni now doing psychology anyway.

This was my favourite subject so I think it was naturally easier to me than it was for others. I did 4 subjects (law A2, psychology A2, politics AS, politics A2) so I did 1 day a week for each subject after college, had friday off, then split the 4 into morning/afternoon for the weekend. This was after Easter though when revision had properly started so this isn't necessary up until then.

It's important to learn your studies as THESE DIDN'T COME UP THIS YEAR despite us spending the most time revising them so they'll probably throw loads in next year to make up for it.

Also, don't ignore research methods. This was around 50% of our exam this year which no one was happy about. In our social psychology section on paper 1, I think they asked us something like 7 research methods questions and only 2 social ones from the social spec. I was so annoyed as that's my best topic.
Thanks mate , when u said u did one day a week for one subject how many hours was that and did u revise 1 topic per subject a week?
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks mate , when u said u did one day a week for one subject how many hours was that and did u revise 1 topic per subject a week?
It was whatever hours I had free to be honest. I'd use my study blocks and an hour or so at home (I only got home at 5:30 and had to make the evening meal for my family so not much time to myself) or about 6-8 hours on a holiday/weekend.

I revised what I thought I needed to. Sometimes, you're worse off having a fixed schedule because I might have written that I was going to revise biopsych but I had a test coming up on research methods so I woulde just revise what I felt I needed to focus on that day.
PlainDoll
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd say try and get your exam technique up to scratch as quickly as possible. Even if you have all of the information you need to answer a question, if you can't structure it correctly, you will get poor marks.
1_Zainn_
Rep:
?
(Original post by PlainDoll)
I'd say try and get your exam technique up to scratch as quickly as possible. Even if you have all of the information you need to answer a question, if you can't structure it correctly, you will get poor marks.
I think I've got that up to scratch with my 16 markers , any other tips mate ?
aleksceramics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What exam board are you on?
I was with Edexcel and got an A*. Psychology kind of became my life though lol because I loved it so much.
Between 3 A levels, I was revising/working in every free, around 5pm-10pm at least twice a week, the library after school about 3 times a week, and weekend around 11am-4pm. That was split between 3 A levels but you can kind of get the gist of how much I worked from that.

I made over 200 documents of notes on AS/A2 psychology, did extra questions, extra essays, extra reading around similar topics that could be used in the exam essays etc.
Make sure your essays are strong. Not only do you need the information, you also need to know how to write it well enough to hit the top bands, so practice exam technique. Never ignore research methods/maths (as dull as it can be!) because a lot of that will come up in the papers. Make sure you understand the content so that you can apply it, because the new spec has a big focus on application. Read the examiner report (2016 is on their site, this years will be published soon) as it is SO useful, it basically tells you where candidates did good and bad, and also shows you exemplar answers and what mark they got. Super super useful.
If you have any more Q's feel free to shoot
1_Zainn_
Rep:
?
(Original post by aleksceramics)
What exam board are you on?
I was with Edexcel and got an A*. Psychology kind of became my life though lol because I loved it so much.
Between 3 A levels, I was revising/working in every free, around 5pm-10pm at least twice a week, the library after school about 3 times a week, and weekend around 11am-4pm. That was split between 3 A levels but you can kind of get the gist of how much I worked from that.

I made over 200 documents of notes on AS/A2 psychology, did extra questions, extra essays, extra reading around similar topics that could be used in the exam essays etc.
Make sure your essays are strong. Not only do you need the information, you also need to know how to write it well enough to hit the top bands, so practice exam technique. Never ignore research methods/maths (as dull as it can be!) because a lot of that will come up in the papers. Make sure you understand the content so that you can apply it, because the new spec has a big focus on application. Read the examiner report (2016 is on their site, this years will be published soon) as it is SO useful, it basically tells you where candidates did good and bad, and also shows you exemplar answers and what mark they got. Super super useful.
If you have any more Q's feel free to shoot
I'm doing aqa and thanks alot and yes I will do 👍🏻😀
AppleB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
-flashcards
-mindmaps
-revise from your textbook
-use class notes
-don't over-revise
-practice exam technique
-don't ignore RM
Simples
DustToDust
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got an A* with 87% (it was 75% for an A*)

I basically just made sure I wrote all my notes as I was going along, so when it came to exams I just needed to learn them.

In terms of revision I started revising around Easter time, where I started by doing one hour a day. I aimed to learn a topic in a week (eg. social) - so I made a timetable with a topic dedicated to each week. I revise best by reading my notes out loud to myself until I can remember them.

When it came closer to exams (about 3 weeks before) I upped this to about 3 hours per day.

The 2-3 days running up to the exams I just hammered it.
1_Zainn_
Rep:
?
(Original post by DustToDust)
I got an A* with 87% (it was 75% for an A*)

I basically just made sure I wrote all my notes as I was going along, so when it came to exams I just needed to learn them.

In terms of revision I started revising around Easter time, where I started by doing one hour a day. I aimed to learn a topic in a week (eg. social) - so I made a timetable with a topic dedicated to each week. I revise best by reading my notes out loud to myself until I can remember them.

When it came closer to exams (about 3 weeks before) I upped this to about 3 hours per day.

The 2-3 days running up to the exams I just hammered it.
Thanks a lot , Mate
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Find exam papers on the AQA website and read the mark schemes on how to achieve level 4 answers.

Evaluation is typically where students fail.
CuriousShinigami
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Haha I see Greg has returned :dance: On it like a car bonnet xD

I got my A too (took lots of work I'd say.. but tbh I didn't do as well in my other subjects but I did the best in my favourite subject that I hope to study at degree level next month:jive:)
Well I actually had no real.. set schedule for my revision as they set our mocks so close it was more like I had to study topics for each as they came. I tried to make one but that just kind of ruined it. Definitely a couple of hours daily.. I definitely lost out in terms of a social life.. and sometimes even sleep if I only had time to actually revise at night (other subjects kept giving me essays/bundles of questions and etc to complete before I could get to my revision).:frown:

I recommend a focus on Research methods as it appears in all 3 papers. I basically did a big chunk of it before exams, then did bits between revision for my topics. I used flashcards, little drawings/diagrams with my summarised notes.
I don't know if it'll work for you, but I bought myself this notepad to basically write summarised notes on topics and took it with me to read. I did funny drawings to help me remember particularly annoying things (Helped me with the Authoritarian personality 8 marker in Paper 1 :w00t:)

I practiced application questions as I know that some people really struggle to know how to link to a stem (I know I was unsure at the start but I worked at it).
tessa w
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,what revision guides do you recommend?
Rigby16
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got an A (AQA) and i spent a month before the exam revising AS topics and Paper 2.. I didn't do ANY past papers just re-wrote notes and literally revised for paper 3 the morning of the exam (spent 90 minutes on each of the 4 topics). I also missed the whole of issues and debates as I was very ill for the last month before exams. For me, Psychology came naturally and I found it easy to apply theory - the reason I didn't get an A* was purely time management so had i done past papers I could've done better!
1_Zainn_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rigby16)
I got an A (AQA) and i spent a month before the exam revising AS topics and Paper 2.. I didn't do ANY past papers just re-wrote notes and literally revised for paper 3 the morning of the exam (spent 90 minutes on each of the 4 topics). I also missed the whole of issues and debates as I was very ill for the last month before exams. For me, Psychology came naturally and I found it easy to apply theory - the reason I didn't get an A* was purely time management so had i done past papers I could've done better!
Thanks a lot mate
Nizbaby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got an A and it took a lot of work like other people have said - I had to work my socks off revising pretty much everyday as there is so much to remember. I used a combination of past papers and essay plans where I wrote literally every possible essay question out using the loopa ebooks and putting them into my own words and memorising them. I had so many to learn it was absolutely insane you wouldnt believe it but it did get easier eventually.

You do have to start early really as there is too much to remember if you leave it even 3 months before the exam. This video is good and helped get me started initially: https://www.loopa.co.uk/aqa-psycholo...tion-revision/

(scroll down a little for the video).

Apart from that I also used the complete companion textbook which was good at helping me understand the theory - but you really need more than one textbook when it comes to essay writing - this scores the most but most students find it hardest (me and my class did anyways).
Psychology_Guru
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi guys!

I got an A* (FULL UMS across all the papers) this year in psychology- I have made the 2018 thread...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content

I am keen to help you lot out! ill happily read your essays at any time throughout the year (I aim normally quick to respond) and happily answer your questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (93)
28.7%
No (231)
71.3%

Watched Threads