Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right I have decided on these subjects.........

History
    English Literature
    Mathematics
    Chemistry

I had 8 A*s and 2 As in my GCSEs, but am a little bit worried about the workload of these subjects. Are they alright? What are the subjects like to learn?

ReputationRep:
    The workload for history isn't too bad... roughly an essay every week or two. English might be a bit heavier on the work... but it's fabulous... do it! I'm completely biased in its favour, but do it because it's just great!

English I think you just retain most of it as you go on, and learn a few quotes and points for the exam.

History... I made sure I understood it and then forgot it all. Then I learnt the dates and acts of the English course off by heart (in about two days), got nearly full marks on the exam. I gave one day to reading the entire Russian and German courses before the exam and got As on both modules, 118/120 on the Russian one. If you have a good short term memory... it's no problem.

ReputationRep:
    Our maths teacher gave us 2 hours of homework every night and 3 hours over the weekend, so if u have a teacher like mine (although he was an excellent teacher) maths can eat into your free time. Chemistry can demand quite a bit of reading time but that is upto you.

ReputationRep:
    Pffft. History is nothing like that person said. It is far less rote learning than at GCSE and consists of the opinions of various Historians (esp. at A2) and large chunks of coursework. The workload is average overall, but unevenly distributed so you'll have no homework for ages and then a collosal piece of coursework...

Sound like good choices though...

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.