Living on £400 a month

Watch
YallMindIfIYeet
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I was doing a few calculations with what I will get with student finance, and taking out accommodation costs (includes bills like water, electricity, WiFi wtf), it leaves me with just over £400 a month. I don't know much about budgeting and don't know much about how much it costs to live, but is £400 a decent amount for food and any other extras I might need? Thank you.
Big Papa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by YallMindIfIYeet)
Hi, I was doing a few calculations with what I will get with student finance, and taking out accommodation costs (includes bills like water, electricity, WiFi wtf), it leaves me with just over £400 a month. I don't know much about budgeting and don't know much about how much it costs to live, but is £400 a decent amount for food and any other extras I might need? Thank you.
I managed to live off 40 pound a month (excluding accommodation). You will be fine.
YallMindIfIYeet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Immunology)
I managed to live off 40 pound a month (excluding accommodation). You will be fine.
Thank you. Have a good night
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Let's assume you've only paid for accommodation related costs (so water, gas, electricity, internet, rent), and I'll assume you don't have a car or anything.

You'd want up to £150 per month for food.
Say £30 per month for mobile phone.
Let's say £100 per month on transport (though may well be zero).
That leaves you £120 a month/ £30 a week for other stuff. Though the above costs may be much higher than you actually spend.

As a comparison, my food is about £75 per month, phone £4, and they're the only definite outgoings each month I can think of.

Basically, you'll have plenty of money.
YallMindIfIYeet
Rep:
?
(Original post by BobLoblawLawBlog)
Let's assume you've only paid for accommodation related costs (so water, gas, electricity, internet, rent), and I'll assume you don't have a car or anything.

You'd want up to £150 per month for food.
Say £30 per month for mobile phone.
Let's say £100 per month on transport (though may well be zero).
That leaves you £120 a month/ £30 a week for other stuff. Though the above costs may be much higher than you actually spend.

As a comparison, my food is about £75 per month, phone £4, and they're the only definite outgoings each month I can think of.

Basically, you'll have plenty of money.
Thank you for the reply It'll actually be much better than what you said as the accommodation is in walking distance to the university and city centre, and I'm fortunate enough to have a family that will pay for my phone bill. Not to mention I'm already very skinny and don't each very much as it is. It's good to know I won't be struggling
Forecast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People on benefits get around £315 per month, which has to cover utilities as well (but not rent). So you can certainly live off £400 a month.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends where you live too. Some cities are really cheap.

OP - you'll be fine. I had a budget of £80 a week and still had quite a lot left over.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm at uni and have a grandson at college. We live on my State Pension and Child Benefit for him and we manage.
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think I got around £6000 from student finance in total as my family's income was white low. My rent was about £3500 a year (not ensuite, and maybe the second or third cheapest on campus).
That left me with about £250 a month (not quite as high as the £400 the op has ), which was still more than high enough.
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had £3 left once i'd paid my rent...£100 a week will be more than enough
Forecast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on household income.
Kravence
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Poorer or single parent households

(Original post by Immunology)
How low did you have to go to survive on that?
Big Papa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kravence)
Poorer or single parent households

How low did you have to go to survive on that?
I cooked everyday with low budget meals. I only eat one meal a day too so wasn't that difficult.
Big Papa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Low wage household fam.
Lukehs22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I would really like to have £400 pound a month to keep my bills up to date instead of struggling to get money all the time like paying for Wi-fi electricity house rent stuff like that so please please help thank you.
Last edited by Lukehs22; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (111)
14.66%
My mental health (111)
14.66%
Feeling behind academically (143)
18.89%
Making friends/social anxiety (137)
18.1%
How to organise myself (25)
3.3%
How to revise/study effectively (90)
11.89%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.51%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
1.98%

Watched Threads