Do fraternities exist here?

Watch this thread
ojdajuiceman777
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,
I'm applying this year from the USA and want to come to the university of edinburgh. I heard that a few years ago a fraternity was established on campus? what happened to them? have any more been set up? I'm not asking because I'm at all interested in joining but instead to escape the douchey frat boy culture that exists here in the states. any answers would be appreciated.
Otherside22
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Not usually. That culture never really took off here.

Sure a few copy cat ones exist here and there, but frats certainly aren't as big a thing as they are in the States.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
JoshDawg
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ojdajuiceman777)
Hi all,
I'm applying this year from the USA and want to come to the university of edinburgh. I heard that a few years ago a fraternity was established on campus? what happened to them? have any more been set up? I'm not asking because I'm at all interested in joining but instead to escape the douchey frat boy culture that exists here in the states. any answers would be appreciated.
No they don't really exist here. If they do it's a single group trying to mimic some US culture. Very rare you'd see something like it, there are mostly house parties / flat pre seshes here which are about as close as you'd get to frat.
username2183021
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ojdajuiceman777)
Hi all,
Fraternities don't exist here, whatever they are.
ojdajuiceman777
Rep:
(Original post by JoshDawg)
No they don't really exist here. If they do it's a single group trying to mimic some US culture. Very rare you'd see something like it, there are mostly house parties / flat pre seshes here which are about as close as you'd get to frat.
Thanks for the reply, I've also heard that Edinburgh is a big sports university, would a non-sporty person like myself be able to fit in?
higuk999
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
In uk universities sports culture doesnt rule like it does in the USA theres a sports scene but there are many other scenes for what ever you are interested in.
ojdajuiceman777
Rep:
(Original post by higuk999)
In uk universities sports culture doesnt rule like it does in the USA theres a sports scene but there are many other scenes for what ever you are interested in.
Oh alright, I suppose this applies to all uk unis? It's bizarre how different the culture is.
higuk999
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Theres no single scene at universities in the uk but obviously some unis have a larger sports programme. From the universities i've visited around you the uk i've never experienced an overwhelming "jock" culture
mc49735
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm an American who studied for a semester at Edinburgh. I was actually there when that bizarre fraternity popped up. Whatever exists at Edinburgh, it's nothing like the American fraternity culture at some schools here. My home university in America didn't have fraternities or a big sports culture. Not even a football team. It was a Division 3 school so some people played sports but except maybe if the basketball team went to national playoffs, no one really paid attention to them. And that was just fine with me!

I don't quite know what defines a sporty uni in the UK, but Edinburgh didn't seem like a sporty university in America. Maybe a fair number of Edinburgh students play sports or are interested in sports, but you don't have the same sports-obsessed culture like you get at some American schools. It's not like big American football schools where a huge percentage of students spend all day drinking before the "big game." I don't play sports or follow sports, and I found plenty of other students who shared my interests. Edinburgh has a wide variety of clubs/societies so I found it easy to meet other students with similar interests.

Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.38%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.03%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.35%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (24)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
25.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
19.85%

Watched Threads