Do Fraternities exist here?

Watch this thread
ojdajuiceman777
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,
I'm applying this year from the USA and want to come to the university of Manchester. I heard that a few years ago a fraternity was established on campus called AKPsi? (exists here too) have any more been set up? I'm not asking because I'm at all interested in joining but instead I want to escape the douchey frat boy culture that exists here in the states. I DO NOT want to feel like I'm in the states when I go to university in the uk. Any answers would be appreciated.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ojdajuiceman777)
Hi all,
I'm applying this year from the USA and want to come to the university of edinburgh. I heard that a few years ago a fraternity was established on campus called AKPsi? (exists here too) have any more been set up? I'm not asking because I'm at all interested in joining but instead I want to escape the douchey frat boy culture that exists here in the states. I DO NOT want to feel like I'm in the states when I go to university in the uk. Any answers would be appreciated.
Don't think fraternities exist in the UK, at least not like the U.S.. There are some "elitist" societies in some of the older universities but they don't dominate social life like frats/sororities do in U.S. universities. I wouldn't worry too much! The university culture is inherently different so you'll feel different from studying in the U.S. compared to studying in the UK. (I hate the frat boy culture as well which is why I chose not to apply to many U.S. unis)

Posted from TSR Mobile
ojdajuiceman777
Rep:
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
Don't think fraternities exist in the UK, at least not like the U.S.. There are some "elitist" societies in some of the older universities but they don't dominate social life like frats/sororities do in U.S. universities. I wouldn't worry too much! The university culture is inherently different so you'll feel different from studying in the U.S. compared to studying in the UK. (I hate the frat boy culture as well which is why I chose not to apply to many U.S. unis)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply, so what is the party culture like, I've noticed that the legal drinking age is 18 in the uk as opposed to 21 here so I guess there's really no need for frat houses? Is it mainly clubbing?
piny_tenis
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=ojdajuiceman777;73287174]Hi all,
I'm applying this year from the USA and want to come to the university of Manchester. I heard that a few years ago a fraternity was established on campus called AKPsi? (exists here too) have any more been set up? I'm not asking because I'm at all interested in joining but instead I want to escape the douchey frat boy culture that exists here in the states. I DO NOT want to feel like I'm in the states when I go to university in the uk. Any answers would be appreciated.[/QUOTE

Don't think you've got anything to worry about. the 'fraternity' you're referring to is a business one and I'm pretty sure it's considered just another student club. No pressure to join like in the US.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi all,
I'm applying this year from the USA and want to come to the university of Manchester. I heard that a few years ago a fraternity was established on campus called AKPsi? (exists here too) have any more been set up? I'm not asking because I'm at all interested in joining but instead I want to escape the douchey frat boy culture that exists here in the states. I DO NOT want to feel like I'm in the states when I go to university in the uk. Any answers would be appreciated.
Fraternities dont exist but you have clubs and societies. In the old universities like oxford and cambridge, you have some dining clubs and drinking societies, which are often the places for children of wealthy or privately educated students. Some universities have secret societies, but these are at the fringes of student life.

Manchester mostly has clubs and societies. As one of the largest student population in the UK, the campus life is very diverse, so you will probably find your place.

Finally, there may not be the "frat boy" culture here, but there is definitely the "lad" culture, which i suggest you avoid by all means.

All the best
ojdajuiceman777
Rep:
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Fraternities dont exist but you have clubs and societies. In the old universities like oxford and cambridge, you have some dining clubs and drinking societies, which are often the places for children of wealthy or privately educated students. Some universities have secret societies, but these are at the fringes of student life.

Manchester mostly has clubs and societies. As one of the largest student population in the UK, the campus life is very diverse, so you will probably find your place.

Finally, there may not be the "frat boy" culture here, but there is definitely the "lad" culture, which i suggest you avoid by all means.

All the best
Thank you, what exactly do you mean by 'lad' culture. I have heard about this but I've heard that it mainly exists in sports clubs? Also when you say clubs and societies you mean stuff like chess club and debate union I'm guessing? Am a right in saying these clubs don't have the insane hazing initiation rituals that are prevalent in the states?
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you, what exactly do you mean by 'lad' culture. I have heard about this but I've heard that it mainly exists in sports clubs? Also when you say clubs and societies you mean stuff like chess club and debate union I'm guessing? Am a right in saying these clubs don't have the insane hazing initiation rituals that are prevalent in the states?
The initiation rituals are done mostly by some sports clubs like rugby. This is not done at every universitt and universities have a zero tolerance policy to such actions.

I don't know much about the frat boy culture in the states, but the lad culture may be milder. Most lads don't seem to get into too much trouble.

I think you will be fine at Manchester. Like i previously wrote, it is a huge university (~40,000) and you can study there without meeting people you don't like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
20.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.64%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.75%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.24%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.84%

Watched Threads