The Student Room Group

got good grades but didnt get into uni do i do foundation year or retake year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
what uni and grades did you get if you dont mind me asking
Original post by maggie43
You're wasting your time taking a foundation year. Take a gap year and reapply.

I half agree with you however do take into consideration that if OP takes foundation year and passes it, they're guaranteed a place at that institution. Whereas if they were to retake A Levels, there is no guarantee of a place at all 5 universities of their choice after what I've been hearing for the past week or so. But then that is my personal my opinion though.
Original post by kpeter
Or, time would be better spent to travel and see the world .

You do know that will involve money, which not a lot of young people have? :p:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Boreism
I half agree with you however do take into consideration that if OP takes foundation year and passes it, they're guaranteed a place at that institution. Whereas if they were to retake A Levels, there is no guarantee of a place at all 5 universities of their choice after what I've been hearing for the past week or so. But then that is my personal my opinion though.

yeah i was told that if i was to pass rhe foundation year id be guranteed a place on the course and so would make sense to do that as if took a year out id have to go through ucas and apply to 5 unis again and i may get rejections of some of them or not get into the uni i want to get into thats why i wasnt to aure if i should or shouldnt take a year out initially
I think your main concern is your maths GCSE. Many employers won't give you a job if you don't tick that box, however good your degree from whichever university.

Whichever option you decide I would advise you to make sure you pass it as your top priority
Reply 65
Original post by 2childmum
I think your main concern is your maths GCSE. Many employers won't give you a job if you don't tick that box, however good your degree from whichever university.

Whichever option you decide I would advise you to make sure you pass it as your top priority

yeah i have been strongly advised that i need to pass my maths gcse as soon as possible and i would agree as initally i thought the uni would let me in without my maths gcse but they rang and told me differently
Are they letting you do the Foundation without the maths GCSE? If that is the case, and you are hoping to carry on to the full degree at the same uni, will they let you do that without the maths, or will you still have to pass it anyway to be allowed to continue?
What is baffling me is how on earth OP has managed to get to the results of his A'levels without his school pointing this out and making him retake? Unless he has retaken his GCSE maths and he is awaiting his result this week (which, if so, he has failed to mention).
Reply 68
Original post by 2childmum
Are they letting you do the Foundation without the maths GCSE? If that is the case, and you are hoping to carry on to the full degree at the same uni, will they let you do that without the maths, or will you still have to pass it anyway to be allowed to continue?

yeah thats what would he happening id be allowed on the foundation year without the maths and yeah i would be hoping to carry the degree on at rhe same uni
Reply 69
Original post by Crumpet1
What is baffling me is how on earth OP has managed to get to the results of his A'levels without his school pointing this out and making him retake? Unless he has retaken his GCSE maths and he is awaiting his result this week (which, if so, he has failed to mention).

yeah thats what i was thinking and no i dont havent taken my maths gcse this year so i would have to take it next summer at that very latest
Reply 70
Original post by Crumpet1

i think i may just take a year out to do my maths gcse and maybe do my a levels as ive been advised my maths gcse is very important ?
Original post by Will789
yeah i was told that if i was to pass rhe foundation year id be guranteed a place on the course and so would make sense to do that as if took a year out id have to go through ucas and apply to 5 unis again and i may get rejections of some of them or not get into the uni i want to get into thats why i wasnt to aure if i should or shouldnt take a year out initially

Well I have a cousin who is in exactly the same situation as you; got ABB and couldn't get into any Redbrick Universities, so he decided to ultimately take the risk of retaking his A Levels. He's extremely well slightly pigheaded that he can achieve straight A grades, but I've told him that he doesn't have to go to a Redbrick as I am sure there are many success stories of non-Redbrick graduates out there like myself. :yes: :p:

Original post by Will789
yeah i have been strongly advised that i need to pass my maths gcse as soon as possible and i would agree as initally i thought the uni would let me in without my maths gcse but they rang and told me differently

Your Maths will definitely needs brushing up in that case as not a lot of universities do accept applicants in without a GCSE in Maths. I can say this from personal experience as I didn't do great in Maths at GCSE and to be stressfully honest, I actually did find my UCAS applications very difficult to cope with! :sadnod:
Reply 72
Original post by Boreism
Your Maths will definitely needs brushing up in that case as not a lot of universities do accept applicants in without a GCSE in Maths. I can say this from personal experience as I didn't do great in Maths at GCSE and to be stressfully honest, I actually did find my UCAS applications very difficult to cope with! :sadnod:

Original post by Boreism

yeah i was expect to get higher grades but do you think i should just take the foundation year as id be guranteed a place if i passed it and yeah i really to pass my maths ill resit it while im at uni as it is really needed at this point and beyond this point
Original post by Will789
yeah i was expect to get higher grades but do you think i should just take the foundation year as id be guranteed a place if i passed it and yeah i really to pass my maths ill resit it while im at uni as it is really needed at this point and beyond this point

With ABB you should ordinarily be able to get into Northumbria. The only barrier is your lack of GCSE maths. So you can spend a whole year's fees doing a foundation year and be guaranteed a place (but still not have GCSE maths, which will hinder you in future). Or you can spend the year getting GCSE maths, as well as some work experience or something, and save yourself a year's fees.

It should be absolutely clear to you from the earlier advice on this thread that with ABB you ought to get some offers next year for direct entry on to a university course: Northumbria included. None of us can guarantee it, but your grades ought to be good enough.
Original post by Ediesedgewick
Exact same position with the same grades too. I took the foundation year because I don't want to go through the whole process of UKCAT and interviews again plus I'm guaranteed onto the course next year

oh so you doing a foundation year for a course guarantees that you go onto the course you want to ? (granted that you do well in the found ation year?)

cause I'm an international student and I'm thinking about doing a foundation year for civil engineering at either plymouth or west England bristol (I'm open to more suggestions though)
Original post by babybluelou
oh so you doing a foundation year for a course guarantees that you go onto the course you want to ? (granted that you do well in the found ation year?)

cause I'm an international student and I'm thinking about doing a foundation year for civil engineering at either plymouth or west England bristol (I'm open to more suggestions though)

Yes I'm doing a foundation course for dentistry. If I retook exams, I may have been rejected as some universities aren't keen with retakes. My foundation year is actually just A level recap. I didn't do bad at A levels so if I pass the foundation year then I'll be onto the BDS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending