Jasminem97
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(I've just finished first year) Im currently studying a science-based degree at a russell group university & am struggling to pass a pass to progress module despite achieving 1sts and 2:1's in everything else.

I resat the exam for the module yesterday, but it went A W F U L L Y. I completed all of the mechanics & alegebra sections of the paper but completely blanked on stats which constituted about 40-50% of the paper and completely guessed based on A level Psychology knowledge :/
If I fail this exam, I'm not sure what i'll do. Its 'pass to progress' so I assume i'd be kicked out?. My parents are pushing me to ask them to waive the exam failure as I got a 2:1 overall including the failed module, but I understand that's not how it works.

I'm not sure wether I'm eligible to look through clearing, given that I resat a couple of A levels during the summer and thus 'have new results'. Whilst I do not yet know the outcome of the A level resits I don't think the grades will have changed (I resat because I really underperformed during A2 - predicted grades where A*A*AB and I got ABBD in a mix of sciences and arts subjects lol - not saying these are bad grades ofc just less than I expected).

Another option in addition to clearing and begging the uni to let me resit the failed module again/resit the year is swapping courses. However, at the university I'm at, standards are very high and courses on average ask for A*AA-AAB (which I don't have *probably*) I was in talks with the school of psychology to swap with them earlier in the year starting sept 2017, however now I think ive left it too late as the course isn't on clearing thus suggesting there are no places available.
There are 2 polytechnics in the city of my university - but - as bad as it sounds - i'm really not keen as the entry requirements are a fair bit lower than what ive achieved. To further complicate things - I already have a houseshare in the city under contract.

Another option would to be to completely resit A levels to get much better grades. However, I'd technically be a '4th year' - and going back to sixth form after 1 year of uni would feel weird.

Its a shame because I quite enjoy the course, and I chose it stupidly thinking it would be easy because of its reputation. To summarise;

1. Is clearing available to me to potentially find a course with lower requirements at my university
2. Can a university kick you out if you fail a pass to progress module but offer to resit (has anyone had any experience)
3. If i'm kicked out, can I just contact another uni / course and ask to be accepted, and start september? Like is it that simple?

Thanks!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jasminem97)
(I've just finished first year) Im currently studying a science-based degree at a russell group university & am struggling to pass a pass to progress module despite achieving 1sts and 2:1's in everything else.

I resat the exam for the module yesterday, but it went A W F U L L Y. I completed all of the mechanics & alegebra sections of the paper but completely blanked on stats which constituted about 40-50% of the paper and completely guessed based on A level Psychology knowledge :/
If I fail this exam, I'm not sure what i'll do. Its 'pass to progress' so I assume i'd be kicked out?. My parents are pushing me to ask them to waive the exam failure as I got a 2:1 overall including the failed module, but I understand that's not how it works.

I'm not sure wether I'm eligible to look through clearing, given that I resat a couple of A levels during the summer and thus 'have new results'. Whilst I do not yet know the outcome of the A level resits I don't think the grades will have changed (I resat because I really underperformed during A2 - predicted grades where A*A*AB and I got ABBD in a mix of sciences and arts subjects lol - not saying these are bad grades ofc just less than I expected).

Another option in addition to clearing and begging the uni to let me resit the failed module again/resit the year is swapping courses. However, at the university I'm at, standards are very high and courses on average ask for A*AA-AAB (which I don't have *probably*) I was in talks with the school of psychology to swap with them earlier in the year starting sept 2017, however now I think ive left it too late as the course isn't on clearing thus suggesting there are no places available.
There are 2 polytechnics in the city of my university - but - as bad as it sounds - i'm really not keen as the entry requirements are a fair bit lower than what ive achieved. To further complicate things - I already have a houseshare in the city under contract.

Another option would to be to completely resit A levels to get much better grades. However, I'd technically be a '4th year' - and going back to sixth form after 1 year of uni would feel weird.

Its a shame because I quite enjoy the course, and I chose it stupidly thinking it would be easy because of its reputation. To summarise;

1. Is clearing available to me to potentially find a course with lower requirements at my university
2. Can a university kick you out if you fail a pass to progress module but offer to resit (has anyone had any experience)
3. If i'm kicked out, can I just contact another uni / course and ask to be accepted, and start september? Like is it that simple?

Thanks!
1.if you're with that university they probably wont let you through clearing when you're enrolled there.
2. I think if you've already used all the attempts of an assessment they could
3. you could then go through clearing if you find someone who will accept you
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
1.if you're with that university they probably wont let you through clearing when you're enrolled there.
2. I think if you've already used all the attempts of an assessment they could
3. you could then go through clearing if you find someone who will accept you
Thank you - is it likely that other university courses would look down on me because i failed that specific module despite getting a 2:1 overall (If the module is nothing to do with their course). Ive been associated with 2 other courses at the uni which are completely different so might give them a try if my exam doesn't go to plan
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you - is it likely that other university courses would look down on me because i failed that specific module despite getting a 2:1 overall (If the module is nothing to do with their course). Ive been associated with 2 other courses at the uni which are completely different so might give them a try if my exam doesn't go to plan
I've known people get accepted on similar degrees as a transfer student with a failed module so it's not impossible, not to say some might say no but there's some hope.
TeacherP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Don't guess. FInd out how it works. Contact your Tutor and Student Services at your Uni.

You don't mention what year you're in but you're likely to have options to remain at that uni and transfer to another course or to modify the profile of the degree you are doing so that you take a different variant - one where this module is not critical.

You can almost certainly repeat the year too if that's what you want. Or you might be able to defer for a year (go get a job or something) and try again next summer.

I don't think the normal UCAS process apply to you - you're an undergraduate and the best route is possibly to find direct second (or whatever) year entry. Get onto university websites and look for compatible courses (after talking to your own student services and tutor first) and call them and find out if they'd consider you.

To further complicate things - I already have a houseshare in the city under contract.
Yes, it's complicated. It's also relatively common.

I don't think so. You're already a student there with some credits. You should be able to get better access to the right people at your uni via student services than you'll get via UCAS.
I don't know. I suspect yes. But universities are in the business of extracting fees from students - they will not want to do this.
Yes, I believe it is.

BTW, Student Finance will cover you resitting one year once - your loan can automatically be extended to cope with the need to restart after year one or to resit a later year, so if you do take those options, your fees, etc. will be covered.
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=TeacherP;73290654]Don't guess. FInd out how it works. Contact your Tutor and Student Services at your Uni.

You don't mention what year you're in but you're likely to have options to remain at that uni and transfer to another course or to modify the profile of the degree you are doing so that you take a different variant - one where this module is not critical.
I am in first year! My course is in the biological sciences school but in terms of it as a course its the only one that isn't really relevant to other courses in the school - we only share 1-2 modules with medical sciences and even then its not too similar. If i changed it would be to something completely different l like english or psychology i think.

I don't think the normal UCAS process apply to you - you're an undergraduate and the best route is possibly to find direct second (or whatever) year entry. Get onto university websites and look for compatible courses (after talking to your own student services and tutor first) and call them and find out if they'd consider you.

Yeah you're right - i'm looking and my university has only maths/engineering/classics courses available - the only one in my school left is biology and my bio a2 grade really doesn't cut it to do that course! I'll call around today - would it help my case if i offered to write an essay/personal statement to subjects such as psychology and english lit to help my case?

What to people generally do in this situation? my university hasn't been to responsive to this question and I dont want to leave my housemates without but also if i dont get student finance / dont live in the city I cant pay the rent

BTW, Student Finance will cover you resitting one year once - your loan can automatically be extended to cope with the need to restart after year one or to resit a later year, so if you do take those options, your fees, etc. will be covered

Thats another issue - SFE generally only cover 4-5 years and i was aiming to do a postgrad in physio or medicine or marketing (something like that, i know im indecisive ) after my course so using one of those years for a resit seems risky
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeacherP)
Don't guess. FInd out how it works. Contact your Tutor and Student Services at your Uni.

You can almost certainly repeat the year too if that's what you want. Or you might be able to defer for a year (go get a job or something) and try again next summer.

I don't think so. You're already a student there with some credits. You should be able to get better access to the right people at your uni via student services than you'll get via UCAS.

I don't know. I suspect yes. But universities are in the business of extracting fees from students - they will not want to do this.

Yes, I believe it is.

BTW, Student Finance will cover you resitting one year once - your loan can automatically be extended to cope with the need to restart after year one or to resit a later year, so if you do take those options, your fees, etc. will be covered.
(Reply above)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.95%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.29%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.96%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.58%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (88)
10.9%
Financial worries (54)
6.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.1%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.54%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.93%

Watched Threads