username1397980
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thinking of applying for Biology for 2018 entry at Durham/Oxford/Bath/Manchester/Exeter currently have AAAAB at AS and 10 A* and 3As at GCSE.

I'm thinking about doing an EPQ. Would it be worth doing one to boost my application and doing something very biology related e.g. animal behaviour or ecology or doing something that links to biology but isn't directly a biological topic and doing it more for enjoyment purposes and instead of to boost application.

For the second idea topics might be artificial intelligence from a neuroscience perspective vs machine learning or how genetics influences our political opinions.

Thanks for advice!
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Firstly, very well done on your amazing grades

To be honest in my opinion the whole point of an EPQ is to improve an application. If you want to research a topic for fun in your spare time then go for it, but you may as well use your EPQ to add another aspect to your application. The 'less biological' topics you have suggested are definitely still relevant and I think they would be really interesting to admissions tutors. Remember that your EPQ should be based around a question so try to think of how specifically you could phrase your title.
Anon101#
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
An EPQ is defo worth doing, although it may seem rather pointless whilst you're doing it, i can tell you that it really boosts your personal statement. Without doing mine i would not have received an unconditional from my uni. Especially with very good grades like your getting and the unis you're applying to, they are so competitive that everything that makes you stand out helps. The topic doesn't matter too much as at the end of the day it is another grade on a piece of paper, as long as it is related to your degree, but most importantly make sure you pick a topic you're actually interested it because it is a lot of research and work surrounding that topic.Have fun!
username1397980
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
Firstly, very well done on your amazing grades

To be honest in my opinion the whole point of an EPQ is to improve an application. If you want to research a topic for fun in your spare time then go for it, but you may as well use your EPQ to add another aspect to your application. The 'less biological' topics you have suggested are definitely still relevant and I think they would be really interesting to admissions tutors. Remember that your EPQ should be based around a question so try to think of how specifically you could phrase your title.
Thank you!

I was always going to link it somehow to biological but would rather do a broader topic than just do an essay on something that I'll have to relearn in 1st year anyway.

Which do you think would be a better topic, genopolitics or artificial intelligence?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (659)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (838)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.45%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads