The Student Room Group

computer science worth it? please help me

Hi
so i received my A-levels yesterday and achieved 3 Ds in accounting, biology and chemistry. Do you think i need to have background knowledge on computer science like programming and is the maths involved really hard because i don't know anything as i have always been doing sciences. please respond quickly
Reply 1
Most universities don't require any prior programming experience. So compsci A levels is not necessary. Computer Science is more of a theoretical course so I would expect some serious maths. Not having maths A level is probably the biggest obstacle. If you don't like maths, then software engineering is probably a better route to take. However, be warned. You're probably not safe wrath of maths in SE too.
Reply 2
Original post by esrever
Most universities don't require any prior programming experience. So compsci A levels is not necessary. Computer Science is more of a theoretical course so I would expect some serious maths. Not having maths A level is probably the biggest obstacle. If you don't like maths, then software engineering is probably a better route to take. However, be warned. You're probably not safe wrath of maths in SE too.

Ahh I don't have A-level maths. I don't mind maths but then the only maths I don't mind is GCSE level. Are you studying computer science?
Knowing someone who employs from this field, if you're wishing to go into computers my biggest advice is to do Maths and don't do computer science without it. From what I've heard, students who go onto do Computer Science degrees aren't as able as those who do maths degrees because it's more versatile. That being said, if you're only wanting to do computer science as another A Level and don't aspire to do it for your career then go ahead.
Reply 4
Original post by missdumb
Ahh I don't have A-level maths. I don't mind maths but then the only maths I don't mind is GCSE level. Are you studying computer science?

I am doing computer science A levels. I have plans to become a computer scientist or mathematician.
Reply 5
Original post by xEmilyxx
Knowing someone who employs from this field, if you're wishing to go into computers my biggest advice is to do Maths and don't do computer science without it. From what I've heard, students who go onto do Computer Science degrees aren't as able as those who do maths degrees because it's more versatile. That being said, if you're only wanting to do computer science as another A Level and don't aspire to do it for your career then go ahead.

I oh I see, it's an offer that I got for a university. As I don't have maths A-level even I feel like I will struggle a lot too. The thing is I have always chose science over anything but know I can't do what I want so I was like let me try something new which but others are telling me is I will find it hard because I don't have maths
Reply 6
Original post by esrever
I am doing computer science A levels. I have plans to become a computer scientist or mathematician.

Oh wow goodluck with your A-levels
Reply 7
There are some unis that have applied computing courses which don't require much maths (Dundee for example).

When computing science first emerged as a subject then yes, it was very mathematical. But if you're more interested in high level stuff like user interface design or web development then maths is not that necessary.
Reply 8
Original post by freya_99
There are some unis that have applied computing courses which don't require much maths (Dundee for example).

When computing science first emerged as a subject then yes, it was very mathematical. But if you're more interested in high level stuff like user interface design or web development then maths is not that necessary.

I got an offer from Essex, university of west London and Middlesex for foundation year. I like app development, web development but I'm just worried about the fact I'm not good at maths because I didn't do it for A-level. Do you think I won't be able to cope with it?
I oh I see, it's an offer that I got for a university. As I don't have maths A-level even I feel like I will struggle a lot too. The thing is I have always chose science over anything but know I can't do what I want so I was like let me try something new which but others are telling me is I will find it hard because I don't have maths

You may struggle, you may not. I personally do not do STEM subjects so I can't advise you there. But all unis vary in how much they'll challenge you, and some universities, especially lower ranking ones, won't expect you to have a certain level of maths expertise. You can go ahead and try, but you seem more confident with science so I'd say stick with that.
I got an offer from Essex, university of west London and Middlesex for foundation year. I like app development, web development but I'm just worried about the fact I'm not good at maths because I didn't do it for A-level. Do you think I won't be able to cope with it?

It really depends. Have a read of the course description and see how much maths is in it. It might be that you have to do some maths modules anyway that would teach you what you need to know.

If you find maths really difficult then computing probably isn't for you because it requires the same kind of logical thinking as maths. I would say that if you're alright at maths and willing to work hard at it you should be fine.

Hello,

Do not worry about the fact that you do not feel very confident in maths, the foundation year is meant to help you to get the skills that you need to go into year one :smile:
There will be the foundations of all the subjects, so do not worry :smile:
Middlesex is also a great place to study, there is a very good sense of community and there are people from 140 different nationalities :smile:
I am a student here and I am loving my time! there is so much to get involved in, from sports, to societies, to volunteering, to jobs on campus!

Is there anything specific you would like to know about studying at Middlesex?
if so, I am happy to help!

Have a great day
Ludovica

Quick Reply

Latest