The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge

I gained my AS grade for maths yesterday, gaining a B. In my other subjects, English literature and History, I am predicted A's therefore I am unsure whether there would be any realistic prospect of me getting into Cambridge. I would like to study the HSPS course and I have shown this interest in entering the R.A Butler Politics Prize. Should I apply to Cambridge or are my grades not good enough?
It seems unlikely as they want at minimum all A grades. Not impossible, just unlikely.
Reply 2
Original post by A_Human_Being
It seems unlikely as they want at minimum all A grades. Not impossible, just unlikely.

Would it then not be worth me applying? I got a C in one of the modules which let my grade down so I was thinking about retaking. I do think I am capable of an A in maths at A2.
They assess your application holistically, so as frequently cited by both themselves and on here, a single bad exam grade isn't going to cause your application to fail immediately. You will need to ensure you achieve the requisite grades at the end of year 13, and make a compelling application and excellent interview otherwise in order to get an offer.

You could of course take a gap year and reapply if unsuccessful and your final A-level results are significantly better than your AS ones. However equally, Cambridge is just one university, and there are many other excellent courses and insitutions you may well get offers for in the future - it would mostly likely be inadvisable to decline these just to attempt to get in to Cambridge for undergrad. You can always do your undergrad elsewhere (e.g. Durham, which has a similar flexible social sciences degree course, or one of the London universities for example) then do masters and/or PhD study at Cambridge afterwards, gaining the benefit of both worlds. You'll also be able to apply to Darwin College and Clare Hall for a masters/PhD, and enjoy your college having it's own "island" in the former case :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending