The Student Room Group

RANT: can't find any driving lessons in my area!!!!

I can't find any driving lessons from driving schools/instructors who would serve my area. It's not like I live in the middle of bloody nowhere, I live in south-east London in the commuter belt.

The 2-3 schools I've found who have an hour here and there are stonking rip-offs, charging £28, £30 an hour, who the hell pays that much? That's with block booking discounts already applied as well. It's bloody ridiculous. A few of them have said that summer holidays are always busy times because all the students have their lessons now, but come on, many places I've phoned said they don't have any availability until October. It's an absolute joke and you know what's even more funny, by around October, the sky gets dark quicker and many of the instructors have they won't be around in the evenings.
Original post by lunnndoner
I can't find any driving lessons from driving schools/instructors who would serve my area. It's not like I live in the middle of bloody nowhere, I live in south-east London in the commuter belt.

The 2-3 schools I've found who have an hour here and there are stonking rip-offs, charging £28, £30 an hour, who the hell pays that much? That's with block booking discounts already applied as well. It's bloody ridiculous. A few of them have said that summer holidays are always busy times because all the students have their lessons now, but come on, many places I've phoned said they don't have any availability until October. It's an absolute joke and you know what's even more funny, by around October, the sky gets dark quicker and many of the instructors have they won't be around in the evenings.

Although £24 is the national average (I think), it's common for instructors to charge £28-£29 per hour. I know at least 4 driving schools charging that in my area, and yes, it's quite a lot of money.

Sometimes they charge that because they can, as they might be amazing instructors and therefore everyone recommends him/her to their friends and the business just keeps coming in.
Served me just fine 👍
I reckon in London the cheapest you're likely to find per hour is 25ish. It makes sense that people are busy, everyone wants to be passed before they move to uni, you'll just have to keep hunting or go for the ones that are 30 an hour. You'll find the cheaper ones will have been booked up months ago.
Did you have a look at the official GOV website for instructors? Type in your postcode and it'll list all registered driving instructors in your area.

I've been through hell finding my instructor, and generally what i've found is that driving schools suck. Find yourself an independent instructor.
£28-30 sounds about right considering you live in London...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending