Driving test examiner asked me 3 "show/tell me" questions.. Watch

CherryPoppins
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
And gave me a minor for getting the third one wrong.

So can people tell me if he asked too many questions?

My examiner asked me to use the windscreen wipers, I did that. Second one, asked me how I would find out about what tyre pressure my car needs. Told him to check the manual in the glove box.

Then he asked me how I would check the tyre pressure. To me, that's 3 questions. I didn't know the last one. And I suspect I got a minor for that.

What should I do? Can I appeal?
PeterHopkinson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No you can't appeal, he actually only asked you two show me tell me questions you just didn't answer the second one in enough detail so he asked you the follow up to get that detail.
CherryPoppins
Rep:
?
(Original post by PeterHopkinson)
No you can't appeal, he actually only asked you two show me tell me questions you just didn't answer the second one in enough detail so he asked you the follow up to get that detail.
these test centres are all corrupt. all the examiners scheme together, they know all the tricky spots they ask you to go through to try and trip you up.
needs reform
username1753569
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CherryPoppins)
And gave me a minor for getting the third one wrong.

So can people tell me if he asked too many questions?

My examiner asked me to use the windscreen wipers, I did that. Second one, asked me how I would find out about what tyre pressure my car needs. Told him to check the manual in the glove box.

Then he asked me how I would check the tyre pressure. To me, that's 3 questions. I didn't know the last one. And I suspect I got a minor for that.

What should I do? Can I appeal?
The problem is the "two" questions you got about tyre pressure are actually one question. I found the question you're referring to on the gov website.

"Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked." - gov.uk

As you can see you didn't answer the full question in your first answer so he has prompted you to answer it fully and you didn't know. It was no two questions but one question separated with an AND. Hope this helps.
PeterHopkinson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
these test centres are all corrupt. all the examiners scheme together, they know all the tricky spots they ask you to go through to try and trip you up.
needs reform
One think to remember is that driving is dangerous and to be honest I don't want to die because someone who shouldn't be on the road was. End of story.
CherryPoppins
Rep:
?
(Original post by PeterHopkinson)
One think to remember is that driving is dangerous and to be honest I don't want to die because someone who shouldn't be on the road was. End of story.
just because you pass doesn't make you a safe driver

wise man
PeterHopkinson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
just because you pass doesn't make you a safe driver

wise man
No but there is a greater chance you are a safe driver.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
needs reform
This is total rubbish and you know it. Harp on about conspiracies all you want, if you manage to fail the driving test it's solely down to your inability to drive. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can work on improving yourself to get to an acceptable level.

Everyone needs practice, you don't become an expert driver overnight. Give yourself enough time to gain skill or you'll just get frustrated and end up failing again.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
needs reform
Oh don't be so ridiculous. You're just not up to standard.

(Original post by Dez)
This is total rubbish and you know it. Harp on about conspiracies all you want, if you manage to fail the driving test it's solely down to your inability to drive. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can work on improving yourself to get to an acceptable level.

Everyone needs practice, you don't become an expert driver overnight. Give yourself enough time to gain skill or you'll just get frustrated and end up failing again.
Completely agree!
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by slowdive)
The problem is the "two" questions you got about tyre pressure are actually one question. I found the question you're referring to on the gov website.

"Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked." - gov.uk

As you can see you didn't answer the full question in your first answer so he has prompted you to answer it fully and you didn't know. It was no two questions but one question separated with an AND. Hope this helps.
I agree
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
needs reform
What a load of old tripe.

So you're asking them to take up down easy routes WITHOUT any challenges so you can get an easy pass? Of course, they're going to take you down tricky spots. It's an examination to see if you are able to drive safely in those situations.

How will it benefit an examiner to fail you illegitimately? There aren't pass/fail quotas.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's one question, but the way it was asked made it sound like three.

"Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked." is, according to the government, one question.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...utside-the-car
Jackso
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
This is total rubbish and you know it. Harp on about conspiracies all you want, if you manage to fail the driving test it's solely down to your inability to drive. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can work on improving yourself to get to an acceptable level..
Both a pointlessly condescending and inaccurate response, since passing the test is often down to luck and not an 'inability to drive'. I can't think of any instructors who would allow a student to take their practical without being at least competent behind the wheel.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jackso)
Both a pointlessly condescending and inaccurate response, since passing the test is often down to luck and not an 'inability to drive'. I can't think of any instructors who would allow a student to take their practical without being at least competent behind the wheel.
How on earth is it down to luck? The only element of luck is whether someone drives into the back of you, because that ends the test!

Driving ability isn't based on luck!
Jackso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
How on earth is it down to luck? The only element of luck is whether someone drives into the back of you, because that ends the test!

Driving ability isn't based on luck!
Eh? Are you saying you cannot comprehend a situation where someone could fail a test one day but would have passed if they'd taken a different test under slightly different circumstances a few hours later? Or how someone who is a poor driver could just barely pass their test due to everything working in their favour that day in regard to traffic or weather conditions, whereas a superior driver fails due to dealing with more difficult situations on the roads?

Of course driving ability isn't based on luck, but passing the test often is.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Eh? Are you saying you cannot comprehend a situation where someone could fail a test one day but would have passed if they'd taken a different test under slightly different circumstances a few hours later? Or how someone who is a poor driver could just barely pass their test due to everything working in their favour that day in regard to traffic or weather conditions, whereas a superior driver fails due to dealing with more difficult situations on the roads?

Of course driving ability isn't based on luck, but passing the test often is.
Is it hell as like. You pass the driving test if you demonstrate you are a competent driver - you fail if you don't. There is no luck involved, only skill.

Like I said, the only element of luck spans from the lack of third party collisions during the test, or force majeure.
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aren't all things related to tyre pressure one question? I'm pretty sure he asked you how to check it because you didn't answer fully. The driving test also isn't based on luck, unless you are unlucky enough for someone to rear end you. The examiners also aren't corrupt, they're actually nice people who had been demonized by websites like this one, my one talked to be for thirty minutes about motorbikes and was talking about how he gave the motorcycle test and driving test to a current British MotoGP champion, he was a very nice guy.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you read the post I was replying to? OP was talking about corrupt examiners, not luck.
Jackso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Is it hell as like. You pass the driving test if you demonstrate you are a competent driver - you fail if you don't. There is no luck involved, only skill.
I think you've confused yourself a bit. Remember, each test is different, including the circumstances you encounter whilst on the road. So whilst one driver can easily pass one morning, they could have failed that afternoon doing a different test despite having the exact same ability to drive. That is entirely down to luck.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you've confused yourself a bit. Remember, each test is different, including the circumstances you encounter whilst on the road. So whilst one driver can easily pass one morning, they could have failed that afternoon doing a different test despite having the exact same ability to drive. That is entirely down to luck.
How on earth have you reached that conclusion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (81)
14.16%
Yes - a food allergy (60)
10.49%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.62%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.62%
No (401)
70.1%

Watched Threads