Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi im planning to do well at university but im wondering how exactly do u go about revising for exams and assignments and stuff. do u revise like you do for A levels ie stick notes everywhere lol or is there a better way?
    thanks

oh and also, to get on a post graduate degree are A levels taken into account or just how well u did in the degree cause my results were terribly crap :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    hi im planning to do well at university but im wondering how exactly do u go about revising for exams and assignments and stuff. do u revise like you do for A levels ie stick notes everywhere lol or is there a better way?
    thanks

oh and also, to get on a post graduate degree are A levels taken into account or just how well u did in the degree cause my results were terribly crap :rolleyes:
    If you're doing a Engineering degree (Or that kinda of thing) then you revise by dooing hunderds of sample questions and basically deriving equations from first principles (Proving that some insanly complex equation is right starting from V=IR). You can't get by in an exam by just knowing things parrot fashion you need to understand them as the lecturers normally end up altering things, leaving bits out and adding other bits and you have to adapt.

No your a-levels aren't normally I mean who cares if you got 3 A's or 3 E's at a-level if you have a good degree. I got crap a-levels but still got offered a place on a masters course after my degree, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    If you're doing a Engineering degree (Or that kinda of thing) then you revise by dooing hunderds of sample questions and basically deriving equations from first principles (Proving that some insanly complex equation is right starting from V=IR). You can't get by in an exam by just knowing things parrot fashion you need to understand them as the lecturers normally end up altering things, leaving bits out and adding other bits and you have to adapt.

No your a-levels aren't normally I mean who cares if you got 3 A's or 3 E's at a-level if you have a good degree. I got crap a-levels but still got offered a place on a masters course after my degree, don't worry.
    thanks, its just im thinking of either doing a forensic or clinical psychology post graduate degree however ive heard they are EXTREMELY competitive and therefore worried they might look at ppl's A levels. I only got C in psychology and 2 other lower grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    thanks, its just im thinking of either doing a forensic or clinical psychology post graduate degree however ive heard they are EXTREMELY competitive and therefore worried they might look at ppl's A levels. I only got C in psychology and 2 other lower grades
    I'm not sure about those degrees, i can only really speak for engineering type degrees.

Anyhow its not 'Only' a C Look if you do well in your degree then they'd be stupid not to at least give you an interview just cos 3 or 4 years ago you didn't get straight A's. Don't worry about it anyway, i mean theres nothing you can do about it and you sound like you've already got a place at uni, so be happy

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about those degrees, i can only really speak for engineering type degrees.

Anyhow its not 'Only' a C Look if you do well in your degree then they'd be stupid not to at least give you an interview just cos 3 or 4 years ago you didn't get straight A's. Don't worry about it anyway, i mean theres nothing you can do about it and you sound like you've already got a place at uni, so be happy
    thanks for that though my straight A friends say A level grades matter loads when applying for higher degrees but then again they will say that coz they dont wanna feel like theyve achieved that high for nothing :rolleyes:
    if you know what i mean...ok im going insane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    thanks for that though my straight A friends say A level grades matter loads when applying for higher degrees but then again they will say that coz they dont wanna feel like theyve achieved that high for nothing :rolleyes:
    lol i'm sure they do count for something, but they don't count as much as your degree thats all, do well in your degree modules and you should be able to prove that you'll get a good end result and you're worth taking on. I mean you do write your a-levels on your CV and things but just becouse you've got a C and two D's or E's doesn't mean they're not A-levels still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    thanks

Postgraduate PHD positions are given after u receive your degree... so funnily enough they look at your graduate degree and not at your A-Levels as that is the best current indicator to how you worked/work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    In a couple of years no one will give a damn about your A Level results.

It's better to have crappy A levels and a good degree than a crappy degree and straight A A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neas)
    Postgraduate PHD positions are given after u receive your degree... so funnily enough they look at your graduate degree and not at your A-Levels as that is the best current indicator to how you worked/work.
    You mean undergraduate.

I revised for uni exams last year the same way as for A Levels, going through my notes, rewriting them and then doing questions. There's a lot more stuff to go through though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    You mean undergraduate.

I revised for uni exams last year the same way as for A Levels, going through my notes, rewriting them and then doing questions. There's a lot more stuff to go through though.
    No he means your graduate degree, you know the thing you get when you graduate

ReputationRep:
    No he means your graduate degree, you know the thing you get when you graduate
    Yup i mean graduate .

Thats the whole point the point when they stop calling you an undergraduate as you have Graduated and got the degree :P.

Postgraduate degrees are the next step.. I.e Post = after graduation .

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.