Turn on thread page Beta

biology/chemistry tutors for A level? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I got a B in biology and chemistry at AS level and I'm looking to get up to an A (or even possible an A*). Is it worth getting a tutor for these subjects, or is the jump from B to A achievable by myself with hard work? (I got BBBB in my AS levels and I need to get upto AAA lol)
    Could anyone recommend me some good (and relatively cheap) online tutoring services?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellentheweeb)
    So I got a B in biology and chemistry at AS level and I'm looking to get up to an A (or even possible an A*). Is it worth getting a tutor for these subjects, or is the jump from B to A achievable by myself with hard work? (I got BBBB in my AS levels and I need to get upto AAA lol)
    Could anyone recommend me some good (and relatively cheap) online tutoring services?
    I have a bio tutor for the past few years (He tutors me 1hr a week). Imo, it is quite useful to have a tutor, but u're independent studies are much more important. Making notes, reading the textbook, watching revision videos and doing practice questions etc. in your own time is much more important than tutoring. I believe you can jump from a B to an A by yourself with hard work.

ReputationRep:
    It's much easier just to teach yourself, tutors are and always have been a rip off. Instead of paying for a tutor, just try harder.

ReputationRep:
    I got a few B's in biology and chemistry at both AS and A Level but still ended up with an A in both. So it is achievable. The only way a tutor would help is to help you understand concepts. If you have a B it is probably the exam technique you need to practise by doing past papers??? So I think its not worth it as you can get there on your own and they are expensive and not all of them are good.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Have you checked out this tutoring service: http://www.alevel.world it offers tutors for most subjects who give sessions over Skype.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Ellen,

As Parrot says, if you're having trouble understanding the concepts, or don't know why you aren't doing as well as you hoped, a tutor can help with that sort of thing. If you do decide that a tutor would be useful to you, do check out our directory of tutors. You can search for tutors in your area, or online, and make an enquiry for free:

https://www.thetutorpages.com/a-leve...-online-tutors

https://www.thetutorpages.com/a-leve...-online-tutors

Good luck!

Emma

ReputationRep:
    If you are still looking for tutor or need guidance over exams coming up in june 2018, hit me up and i can help you with chemistry. I got A* in new spec and i have a good idea on what to do to prepare really well.

ReputationRep:
    I got a Chemistry tutor recently and I'm understanding topics much better now. I would definitely recommend getting one if you are struggling. My tutor is really good and I've recommended her to my friends.

ReputationRep:
    I got a chemistry tutor as I was getting Bs in Chemistry and I ended up getting an A*. I am aware that this is anecdotal but it is my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sampson2002)
    I got a Chemistry tutor recently and I'm understanding topics much better now. I would definitely recommend getting one if you are struggling. My tutor is really good and I've recommended her to my friends.
    Is this an online tutor? I'm looking for one for ocr new spec physics and maths

ReputationRep:
    I tutor both bio and chem. One of my students is going to Oxford to study chem (I helped prep him) ... I don't mind tutoring online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bymal323)
    sorry meant physics and chemistry

ReputationRep:
    I think tutors are a waste of money unless you are really struggling with the subject and can’t even understand basic concepts. Most tutors just work and take it as a business.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Tutors in A-Levels are a waste imo. If you cannot get your independant study sorted out before uni starts then university might just become really tough for you. There's websites like docbrown, khan academy for both biology and chemistry- if anything ask your friends or school teachers(my teachers didn't mind us sending them emails if we got stuck with something).

Plus, like others have said, its better to teach yourself - you will really benefit from it more than tutors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bymal323)
    Not online and only Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igotnomoney)
    If you are still looking for tutor or need guidance over exams coming up in june 2018, hit me up and i can help you with chemistry. I got A* in new spec and i have a good idea on what to do to prepare really well.
    Hi, can you help me with AS organic chemistry on the OCR A spec please? Im really struggling with the naming of compounds and the organic synthesis. If not that is fine I just need a point in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akif2001)
    Hi, can you help me with AS organic chemistry on the OCR A spec please? Im really struggling with the naming of compounds and the organic synthesis. If not that is fine I just need a point in the right direction.
    Yeah sure, message me if you are still intrested.

ReputationRep:
    Check out Tailored Tutors for Bio and Allery Chemistry for Chem I'm using both now and both have helped me grasp the concepts relatively quickly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igotnomoney)
    Yeah sure, message me if you are still intrested.
    Hi, are you still ok to help me with some of the chemistry exam questions? if so could we exchange contact details?

ReputationRep:
    I am going to add something to this but I am not pushing my services as j have been fully booked up for many years. I think a precise guide to who is a successful tutor can really help. If you are at a B then certain concepts and exam technique Need improvement Find a tutor who has access to exampro as with the new spec there are limited resources for exam practice AND get are academically strong ( they don’t even need to be qts Secondly, find a good tutor irrelevant to cost and be honest. Tell them you need guidance for one or two sessions and maybe some reaources( a good tutor is more than happy to help out) then push on your own for a fewMonths and see if your hitting the A A* if not and you are still struggling then book in more time. Do NOT leave it till a fewMonths before your terminal papers. Whichever path you take, good luck!

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.